"Assault Weapons" really exist! Really!

This is a discussion on "Assault Weapons" really exist! Really! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Somehow I don't think they're available to civilians. Shoulder-launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia SMAW.jpg The Shoulder-Launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon (SMAW) is ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By CDW4ME
  • 1 Post By Brad426
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: "Assault Weapons" really exist! Really!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Somehow I don't think they're available to civilians.

Shoulder-launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Shoulder-Launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon (SMAW) is a shoulder-launched rocket weapon, based on the Israeli B-300, with the primary function of being a portable assault weapon (e.g. bunker buster) and a secondary anti-armor rocket launcher. It was introduced to the United States armed forces in 1984. It has a maximum range of 500 metres (550 yd) against a tank-sized target.
    It can be used to destroy bunkers and other fortifications during assault operations as well as other designated targets with the dual mode rocket and to destroy main battle tanks with the HEAA rocket. Recent operations in Afghanistan and Iraq have seen a thermobaric rocket added (described as NE—"Novel Explosive"), which is capable of collapsing a building.[1]
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Aren't many weapons actually "assault" weapons. Wouldn't the use of M-1's on the charge up Pork Chop Hill be classified as the military using "assault" weapons. Or how about the "assault" weapons they used in the Civil War....
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Assault is a verb not a noun so I am sure anything can either be an assault or not an assault weapon depening on what you do with it.
    My grandsons baseball bat is an assault weapon to the baseball.
    I have fire the SMAW newer version are much better

VIP Member
    In NJ, older Marlin model 60's with 18 round magazines are assault weapons (a semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds).

I'd like to see a military unit mount an "assault" with a bunch of old 18 round Marlin model 60's.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar

Lightbulb We are surrounded by assault weapons even when firearms are not present

If used to assault someone, a baseball bat IS an assault weapon.

Cars have been used as assault weapons
    Knives have been used as assault weapons
    ________ has been used as an assault weapon....

Diddle likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Assault is a verb not a noun so I am sure anything can either be an assault or not an assault weapon depening on what you do with it.
    My grandsons baseball bat is an assault weapon to the baseball.
    I have fire the SMAW newer version are much better
    Point of order: "assault" can be a verb OR a noun. Class dismissed.
    atctimmy likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

assault |əˈsτlt|

verb [ with obj. ]
    make a physical attack on: he pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer | she was sexually assaulted as a child.
    • attack or bombard (someone or the senses) with something undesirable or unpleasant: her right ear was assaulted with a tide of music.
    • carry out a military attack or raid on (an enemy position): they left their strong position to assault the hill.
    • rape.

noun
    1 a physical attack: his imprisonment for an assault on the film director | sexual assaults.
    • Law an act, criminal or tortious, that threatens physical harm to a person, whether or not actual harm is done: he appeared in court charged with assault.
    • a military attack or raid on an enemy position: troops began an assault on the city | [ as modifier ] : an assault boat.
    • a strong verbal attack: the assault on the party's tax policies.
    2 a concerted attempt to do something demanding: a winter assault on Mt

weapon |ˈwepən|

noun
    a thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage: nuclear weapons.
    • a means of gaining an advantage or defending oneself in a conflict or contest: resignation threats had long been a weapon in his armory.

DERIVATIVES
    weaponed adjective,
    weaponless adjective

ORIGIN Old English wǣp(e)n, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch wapen and German Waffe.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

I would tend to disagree with the assumption that the word " assault " is only a verb.
    The usage of the word in Smitty's post has the word used as an adverb.
    The word assault can be used as a noun, verb, adjective, and even an adverb.
    Anything used in a situation, where harm is intended as a result of using that item, is an assault weapon.
    As for trying to be the parts of speech police, not in my wildest dreams!
    Have a great Saturday everyone. Sunny Oregon will be at about 80 with partially overcast skies!

VIP Member
    My wife hit me with a pillow last night, so technically a pillow is an assault weapon.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    My wife hit me with a pillow last night, so technically a pillow is an assault weapon.
    My wife is capable of assaulting me with an invisible weapon: language.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Now that SMAW is what I call a weapon. It's no wonder that folks who choose this "assault" weapon want to open carry. Can you imagine trying to carry this IWB? What would a negligent discharge from this beauty look like?

VIP Member
    Assault rifle is a rifle chambered for an intermediate catridge. Larger than a pistol round yet smaller than a full horsepower rifle round. Assault rifles are select fire weapons able to shoot full auto or semi auto. Assault rifles were conceptualized/designed to bridge the gap between a sub gun and a full sized battle rifle. So if it isn't capable of automatic fire it isn't an assault rifle.

In case anyone was wondering about the name assault rifle, it came from the Germans during WW2. Germany invented the concept of the assault rifle when they produced the StG 44 (Sturmgewehr 44). Sturmgewehr literally translates "storm rifle".

The word storm in this case is synonymous with "assualt". Hence we say "assault rifle".

Main Entry: storm
    Part of Speech: verb
    Definition: attack, rush
    Synonyms: aggress, assail, assault, beset, blow violently, bluster, breathe fire, burn up, carry on*, charge, come at, complain, drizzle, drop, fly, fume, go on, howl, pour, rage, rain, rant, rave, rip, roar, scold, set in, sizzle, sound off, spit, squall, stalk, steam up, stomp, strike, take by storm, take on*, tear, thunder*
    * = informal/non-formal usage

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Not being good with grammar and the overriding philosophy there of, I can say this:

the victim was hit with a ballbat
    the victim was hit with a rock
    the victim was shot with an AR assualt rifle.

WHAT THE NEWS WON'T SAY: The victim was shot with an [INSERT BRAND] AR. The AR stands for, ArmaLite. The AR is a platform for a rifle the same as, the 1911 is for a pistol platform and has been produced for over 50 years by a number manufacturers. Historically crimes like this have involved low-cost and easy to get pistols and revolvers often purchased by gangs on the black market or stolen from other gangs or careless owners.

Regards,
    D~
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Shoot somebody around here with a Derringer and you can be arrested for Assault with a Deadly Weapon so I guess that makes it an assault weapon.

Sponsored Links