Need versus want

This is a discussion on Need versus want within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While waiting to get my head shaved at the one chair barber shop we have on camp the other day I picked up a magazine ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Need versus want

VIP Member

Need versus want

While waiting to get my head shaved at the one chair barber shop we have on camp the other day I picked up a magazine to read.

It had caught my attention because on the cover it had an article entitled "Revealed! Our 1,000 yard rifle project" and that got me to thinking which can be a dangerous thing sometimes.

I have read posts on here and other forums that have started out with "Wanting a 1,000 yard rifle" "I need a night vision capable optic" and so on but how much of this is want vs. need?

Now this is from my own perspective if you have a need/want/desire for something go for it. The fact is most do not have a place to shoot 1,000 yards either on a range or in the field. The skills needed to take and make the shot at that distance are not gained by watching a dvd. The equipment cost alone would prohibit most from doing it. Finally I don't know that I could see a live game animal at a thousands yards in the first place.

As an example, I want a .338 Lapua. Great round and I have shot and hit what I aim at up to 1200 yards plus with them here in Afghanistan (non human targets). but at home what in the heck am I gonna do with it? Unless I go to the local military base there is nowhere to shoot it past 500 yards or so. I don't hunt anymore so what would be the purpose. Now it would be cool at the local range and I could shoot sub half inch groups all day long at about $5.00 a round. Thankfully my common sense has prevailed and I have not ordered one.

Several times folks have posted about buying an optic for a particular rifle. I always encourage to buy the best optic you can afford at that time however I am a big proponent of get what you need to get the job done. One particular thing that came to mind was when people asked in reference to red dot sights. As they listed off the features one was "It is night vision capable and is only $300 more". Well thats great do you have or plan on having night vision? If not save the $300 and buy ammo.

Yes it is great to own a high end gun. It gives a sense of pride and with proper training and practice it can make you a better shooter but does the average shooter need a $4000 1911 in order to protect himself or have a good time at the range? Would an average shooter be able to tell the difference/get all the potential out of the gun? The answer is probably no to both questions but if that is what they want more power to them.

When I go to the range at home I have both friends and strangers whom I let shoot my firearms. It not only promotes the sport but can give someone a chance to shoot something they might not otherwise be able to. In turn no matter what type of firearm they are shooting I will ask to shoot it and by doing this I have found some great guns that are accurate and fun to shoot that won't break the bank.

Recently I was afforded the opprotunity to purchase several firearms. The strange thing is when I started looking I kept finding "Not that one I have one, Not that one either I have owned one, that doesn't interest me" and so on. I guess as we gain age and wisdom our tastes change and we start applying common sense to our wants and needs list.

Which do you give into, Wants or Needs? Anything in particular you have gotten that was simply a want but you made it a need?
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

I have a lot of wants, but they are tempered by 'needs' and held in check by finances. A good friend invested in a Barrett bolt-action .50 BMG over a decade ago, but to date has fewer than 100 rounds through the gun because there is no place convenient where he can use that gun's capability. More down to earth, this same friend invested heavily in a 'sniper' rifle with great optics and has taken 3 courses in long-range shooting at Storm Mountain, so with practice (and a spotter) he really can hit stuff out to 800 yards. I enjoy getting the debrief, but - I know I'll never take a shot at half that distance, so that level of investment in a single gun just isn't going to happen.

That said, I don't really "need" a Smith & Wesson N-frame but I want one, and when I get one it won't be a safe queen. I hanker for a 1911 in .38 Super but I also won't settle for a Filipino import. Those are samples of my "wants." I need an all-stainless compact pistol for hot weather out here because sweat has caused some corrosion damage (minor cosmetic) to one of my carry guns, but that's about the only serious need.

Bottom line is I have more guns than I need but fewer than I want; I don't kid myself about new acquisitions being anything more than 'wants' these days.
    SpencerB, tacman605 and sgb like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    IMO long range guns are like a smoking hot blonde. Nice to show off to your friends, but damn the upkeep and maintenance will kill you!!
    sgb, whoppo, atctimmy and 3 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    That was a nice reality check tacman. I know I need one of those now and then.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar

The line is blurry & gray

When I first think about ______ it is a want, after I think about ________ a lot it becomes a need.
    tacman605 likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

VIP Member
    I need my HD 686+ and only one of my j-frames for carry. All of my other guns were purchased because of wants...

Similar to your .338 situation, the other day I thought it would be "nice" to have a .375 H&H Magnum. Just because. Fortunately I realized that was crazy talk in my head.
    tacman605 likes this.

It you feel you want it so bad that it is a need then save for it and get it.
    When I purchased my M24 years back it was a want I did not need and over priced in many people opinion. They were right.
    However today it is worth more than I paid for it. Still not for sale I still want it and may need it some someday.
    When I die I'll let the children figure out if it is a want or a need.

To get right down to it, I haven't needed any of them yet. I consider them to be SD weapons, and no one has attacked me so far. Hopefully it will always stay that way. If anyone does intrude, the one handgun I have on the nightstand is probably all I will need, and the amount of time I would have to respond would probably dictate that it is all I have anyway. There is an AR and a shotgun ready to go inside a simple long gun safe, if I have time to get them to barricade myself in my room with. It may or may not work out that way though. Outside of that, I plan to go deer hunting for the first time this fall, so I will be needing one of my .30 caliber rifles. Everything else, I don't kid myself. I just like them a lot.

VIP Member
    Thanks for all the responses guys at least I know I am not going nuts.

the other day I thought it would be "nice" to have a .375 H&H Magnum. Just because. Fortunately I realized that was crazy talk in my head.

And a .458 Win Mag. You never know when you will find yourself facing a rogue big cat, elephant, squirel or other dangerous game.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I'm limited to what I need, my EDC and BUG are the only guns I own. But I do shoot them alot!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

sgb
    I've found need trumps want, however after need has been sated want's are acquired based on available discretionary income ................ after LOTS of thought as to how much use that want will actually get. Needless to say a lot of wants will always be just that, wants.
    tacman605 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

A friend of mine called me a while back and asked me if he was getting a good deal on a Barrett .50 cal. He (of marginal finances) was going to go into serious debt to buy this rifle. So I asked him why he needed it. "Because it is the biggest one out there." he says. I ask him "Where you going to shoot it?"
    "I don't know."
    But he "needs" this rifle.
    He does not have an outdoor range in his area more than one hundred yards. But he "needs" a rifle that can shoot further than my .308.
    I have a public range near my house where I can go shoot six hundred yards when I feel like it. My .308 Savage 110 with it's $125 Tasco scope does that job just fine. Do I want a high dollar optic to put on top of my $300 rifle? Sure. Do I need one? Not until this one breaks.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    When I go to the range at home I have both friends and strangers whom I let shoot my firearms. It not only promotes the sport but can give someone a chance to shoot something they might not otherwise be able to. In turn no matter what type of firearm they are shooting I will ask to shoot it and by doing this I have found some great guns that are accurate and fun to shoot that won't break the bank.

at my gun range, there was a group of 10 to 15 people who met every Tuesday to shoot a pre-planned course of fire. for one event, i proposed a, "bring a gun to shoot" night: everyone brought a gun they thought would be fun for others to shoot, along with a 50-round box of ammo for that gun. the guns were laid out at shooting stations, and after having a chance to look at what was available, folks took turns shooting 6 rounds through the guns that interested them. after every six round session, the gun's owner would reload his/her weapon for the next shooter. i brought my H&K P-7, PSP. i got to shoot a couple of high-end 1911's, a Colt SSA, a Glock 24(?) longslide, and others i don't recall. fun!

i know this is off the direct subject, but thought it might give someone an idea.

on subject: i WANT a Les Baer Heavyweight Monolith, with 1.5" @50 yards capability. would it do much that my Kimber Gold Match wouldn't? no. i'd still like it, but i know i don't NEED it.
    tacman605 likes this.

VIP Member
    Sensei that is a hell of an idea. It would let others learn.

Some pistol matches have a "Battlefield Pickup" stage where the shooter does not know what the weapon is or how is shoots until they get to that stage, it was great as it all came down to skill.

If you can get by without it then it is just a want.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links