CMP M1 Service grade?

This is a discussion on CMP M1 Service grade? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How are those service grade M1s? I've been wanting one for so long now... The $625 price point of a SA service grade seems reasonable ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: CMP M1 Service grade?

CMP M1 Service grade?

How are those service grade M1s?

I've been wanting one for so long now... The $625 price point of a SA service grade seems reasonable to me. the 'correct' or 'special' at 925 is little more than what I'd like to spend.

I did little bit of research, and it looks like you can get lucky, or unlucky. some get newer barrels, matching decent stocks, and some get non matching stocks, wornout barrels etc....

if anyone has gotten one, let me know!

(i bought a .22 remington barrled action from them few years ago, so I should still be on file)

2. Remove Ads

They are apparently a good deal for a authentic U.S. service M1. I've seen several of the rack grade, field grade and the service grade rifles and all were acceptable. I've also read on forums of others obtaining these rifles and all were pleased with them. Don't expect to receive a factory original World War II era rifle, completely unmodified and hence highly collectible, but expect a fully serviceable rifle that can be put to work. They are a great value for the money. I have a brother-in-law that has taken the opportunity to obtain several, both for himself and for his son and son-in-law. A friend of mine has also gathered some in. I've examined all of these and was pretty enthused about them.

This rifle was obtained from the DCM in 1985. The Director of Civilian Marksmanship was the CMPs predecessor. At that time there were no grade options and one took whatever was sent out. They were $108.50 then.

This one was put to work in high-power rifle competition for over 20 years and has seen heavy use. The only problem ever encountered was a worn trigger sear after many years' use and a parts swap fixed that.
    pistola likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I picked one up from camp perry a little while back. Looks great and shoots great. Buy one.

awesome thanks!

I'm not too worried about authenticity, maker, collectible value or anything. I would like a nice looking M1 (not one of the chinese M1s, or M14s or whatever they are that I've heard about)

I also saw that I can get boyd stocks for about 100 bucks or so to at least make the wood look new. maybe throw on a coat of parkerzing or something and it'll look like day 1 :) but at 625, it will just work fine.

Sponsor
    Get one now before they're gone. Heck, get two. I have 4 and they're all in fantastic condition. Two are basically new rifles with slightly used barrels, new stocks and all re-parked parts. Best value on the gun market by far. They're easily $800 guns and will go for much more once they run out.
    Also known as CTD Chris

America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter
    http://www.CheaperThanDirt.com

Bet you can redo the wood that comes on the rifle to look better and more "period" than even a new reproduction replacement stock set. I didn't have to redo my particular M1 but it's easy as pie to do.

Here's an original walnut military contract M14 stock that was cleaned with denatured alcohol and a rag, and hand rubbed with raw linseed oil. That's all it took to freshen it up so it could be installed on the M1A. This stock was clean and undinged to start with but there are "tricks of the trade" to deal with dings and even gouges.

Here's a link to working up a replacement military contract stock set for an Enfield No. 4, Mark 2.
    Rehab'ing An Enfield No. 4 Mark 2
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    I cheated, on a trip to Texas I stopped off at the Anniston, Al CMP store. I hand picked the three service grade rifles I wanted. In the store they will loan you a muzzle/chamber gauge and I used it to pick ones that measured a 1 on the gauge. All three are very accurate and a joy to shoot.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I ordered two Service Grades back in May. They both arrived with CMP new stocks on them. One is a SA, which has visible wear on the finish in several areas around the receiver. It was built during WWII and, at least the receiver seems to have seen quite a bit of use. The other is an HRA from the early 1950s, which looks almost unused. They have both been quite accurate, though the SA is zeroed at 25 yds and will remain so for quite some time, as the rear sight apparently has worn out teeth and will not adjust. I don't regret them for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    I ordered two Service Grades back in May. They both arrived with CMP new stocks on them. One is a SA, which has visible wear on the finish in several areas around the receiver. It was built during WWII and, at least the receiver seems to have seen quite a bit of use. The other is an HRA from the early 1950s, which looks almost unused. They have both been quite accurate, though the SA is zeroed at 25 yds and will remain so for quite some time, as the rear sight apparently has worn out teeth and will not adjust. I don't regret them for a second.
    wish I was going that way. I would gladly stop and pick one up!

Links