Does your Safe do this? - Page 2

Does your Safe do this?

This is a discussion on Does your Safe do this? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by F350 1,000,000 possible combos and you can only enter 3 per 30 min, you ain't got the time; it's bolted to the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Does your Safe do this?

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    1,000,000 possible combos and you can only enter 3 per 30 min, you ain't got the time; it's bolted to the floor in a corner so a torch is the only real option; and there 6 1# cans of FFFg stored at strategic locations along exposed side and front, have at it.
    That's a novel approach I've never heard of.

But isn't it a bit self-defeating? The guy torching your safe gets blown up, but so do the guns which are in the safe because you're trying to protect them from loss.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Just asked a simple question fellas.
    All my guns dont live in the safe either.
    I always spin the lock repeatidly after closing.
    Not going to name the safe brand.
    If your safe did this wouldn't you want to know?
    And no it doesn't really matter because only you know the last number of your combo.
    Thanks for the input.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

It's a "feature"

My safe does what the OP described. Ultimately, I can turn the dial back to zero which will lock the bolt, and I can unlock it by turning the dial back until it stops (just like after entering the last number on the combination).
    The feature is intended to be used with the key-lock on the dial for convenient re-entry while you're actively getting in and out of the safe but don't want to leave the door wide open or unlocked.
    It is a lower security mechanism and relies on the relatively weak dial lock (that uses a key to prevent the dial from being turned).
    When you are done getting in and out of the safe, just spin the dial past zero and it's fully locked.
    It is not a feature that I really use, but it is a deliberate, documented feature of the safe's lock.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Being a old safe buff, that is pretty much normal for a combo lock safe. If you turn the dial, and in doing so, it does not upset a tumbler, you can return CW or CCW to the last unlock digit(s) and it will unlock. Before the invention of the digital style locks, shopkeepers would open the safe - get what they needed than close it, turn the dial a few digits and walk away. This kept them from having to go through the entire 3,4 or 5 numbers to gain entry during busy times of the day.

I have a very old safe that is 4x4x4 feet square. The internal cavity is only 14" x 22" x 12". All that protection for a tiny cavity of small wooden boxes and one metal lockable one. I am guessing the weight considering cast iron wheels to be about 1000lbs.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    Being a old safe buff, that is pretty much normal for a combo lock safe. If you turn the dial, and in doing so, it does not upset a tumbler, you can return CW or CCW to the last unlock digit(s) and it will unlock. Before the invention of the digital style locks, shopkeepers would open the safe - get what they needed than close it, turn the dial a few digits and walk away. This kept them from having to go through the entire 3,4 or 5 numbers to gain entry during busy times of the day.

I have a very old safe that is 4x4x4 feet square. The internal cavity is only 14" x 22" x 12". All that protection for a tiny cavity of small wooden boxes and one metal lockable one. I am guessing the weight considering cast iron wheels to be about 1000lbs.
    Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    That's a novel approach I've never heard of.

But isn't it a bit self-defeating? The guy torching your safe gets blown up, but so do the guns which are in the safe because you're trying to protect them from loss.
    NO....I am trying to keep them from falling into the hands of low life scum bags, I got insurance and a complete inventory list.

I have a digital lock, but there is always at least one loaded out of the safe at all times.

It is not a feature that I really use, but it is a deliberate, documented feature of the safe's lock.
    Perfect explanation for mine too! My original post stands corrected. My lock is also keyed, and said key is used in a similar manner if desired. Having said that, I never use that feature.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links