H&R 929 Is Awake and "Speaking"

This is a discussion on H&R 929 Is Awake and "Speaking" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi All, The H&R revolver I've been working on is up and running. I was having a ball with it yesterday before I made it ...

Thread: H&R 929 Is Awake and "Speaking"

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

H&R 929 Is Awake and "Speaking"

Hi All,

The H&R revolver I've been working on is up and running. I was having a ball with it yesterday before I made it back online.

I got home from my camping trip and my mainspring assembly was waiting on me. Well, I opened the package and revolver both and put the new pieces in.

I went out to shoot. Hmmm... light trigger pull. Light strikes. Misfires. Not good.

I went back in and compared the springs. Voila! DO NOT BUY A MAINSPRING FROM NUMRICH GUN PARTS FOR AN H&R REVOLVER. THEY ARE WAAAAY WEAK. I have checked and I am not, by far, the only one with this problem. I cannot endorse Numrich's H&R springs. I installed the original spring and it began running right.

Single action mode is acceptable with a bit of creep; double action is heavy and good for close up work in an emergency. The handgun is reminiscent of the old DA cap'n'ball Starr revolver: it has a two trigger setup. The first, large trigger cocks the hammer and turns the cylinder. At the end of its travel it contacts a much smaller trigger and trips the trigger.

Mine has what are supposed to be adjustable sights; however, they are only adjustable for windage, and at any rate, they're frozen in place by rust that just won't quit. At the first shooting it shot low and to the left. It's not just me; I had my dad shoot it as well to confirm. All sources for parts I know of are out of rear sights and sight screws, so I took a file to it. It doesn't shoot as fine now, but will keep all nine shots on a playing card at about 15 yds, paced off, if I hold high.

Because of the lack of elevation adjustment I may leave it be for a while, opting instead for a red dot sight. I do not have the same issues the them on revolvers as I do on rifles. This will entale drilling and tapping for a mount, or perhaps milling the top of the frame though I'd hate to try this without the proper tools.

Overall, at the moment, I would give this revolver a 7/10 for accuracy, an 8/10 for dependability, a 6/10 for look and feel as the plow handle is too small for me; I need larger grip panels, and the triggerguard presses against my middle finger, and a 10/10 for pure fun.

I will be using this revolver for squirrel while I let my dad use my rifle. I have a carry permit and he does not. Additionally, I seem to be able to hit better at close ranges with a pistol when snapshooting than I can with a rifle.

This is a fun little gun; I'll enjoy it as long as I can get parts for it.

Josh <><

P.S. Pictures to follow as soon as I can find the digicam.

2. Remove Ads

I have an H&R 999 Sportsman (not the LLC model) with adjustable sights as well. Nice shooter.

Is there a small screw in the muzzle of the barrel? If so, this is where the elevation adjustment would be (at least this is the case for mine). I had the same problems with my sights. I had to soak them in solvent for a couple of days before I could even get them to budge.

I did a complete tear down on mine, now she hums when we are at the range.

My rear sights are jam screwed (you loosen one screw and tighten the other to adjust windage), and let me just say that it is a terrible nuisance to adjust the sights, but once they are in, they aren't going anywhere.

They are nice pistols. I really like mine.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Hi Purple,

No, there's no elevation screw.

I tried the soaking thing; in fact it soaked in PB Blaster in the garage for two weeks before I even started on it.

Take a look at the lower right hand corner and you'll see what I'm dealing with ;)

It has at least 10 hours of work in it thus far, with probably another 20 to go. I've put a new finish on it: heated it in the oven at about 200 degrees to open the poors well, brushed it with oil, let it cool while using steel wool on it, then back into the oven to bake off the excess. Very nice. There's just some pitting I'd like to get rid of, but there's no real reason do do so if I can hide it. I'd need a new barrel otherwise, and the bore is immaculate.

This is not turning out bad at all for a handgun that sat in a dank garage for three+ years and wouldn't move at all when found. I honestly thought I gave that away as a present!

Josh <><

Links