New lady shooters

This is a discussion on New lady shooters within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; .38 snub is not really the way to go, they can be pretty rough on your hands after a few shots. If you put a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New lady shooters

.38 snub is not really the way to go, they can be pretty rough on your hands after a few shots. If you put a rubber Houge grip on it, it will help to tame it down, and give them a little better grip on it. Have fun.

Oh, I'm trying the same thing on my wife, I told her I needed at least one gun in every calibre so her friends could have a propper choice! She didn't go for it.
    TomEgun and wraithls1 like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    .38 snub is not really the way to go, they can be pretty rough on your hands after a few shots.
    Agreed, my LCR actually hurts and makes the palm of my hand numb after emptying it. Not fun to shoot all day.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I prefer to start new shooters on 9mm myself. It gets them used to some bang and clang without overpowering them, and does not lure them into a sense of how little these things bark. I also always shoot the gun first, having them watch my hands as I fire about five rounds so they can see what it's going to do.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

.22 caliber guns are the best training wheels for rookie shooters. You might even start with a 10/22 carbine to get them some no-recoil, quiet-pop trigger time to ease their initial shooting anxiety. There's gonna' be some gentile reassurance required as well. Let them advance at their own pace & help them (use your husbanding skills) believe it's all their idea. Use BIG targets (balloons are great) to promote fun & grow confidence quickly. Go with smaller targets as skills improve. Best suggestion is to find a competent, confident LADY shooter to ramrod the instruction. Then you operate as HER support crew. Good Luck.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I'd suggest a S&W model 41... a nice .22 long rifle target pistol... with a good balance I would think a 4" barrel would be good and reduce what little recoil there is.

I'd also suggest a Browning Buckmark... or something like that...

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    if you own a 1911--you can buy the .22lr conversion kit for your 1911--cheaper than buying a new gun--plus you still have all the same ergonomics and redundant safties of the 1911.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

My wife started with my 686. She loved it and claimed it as her gun until the day she died. She would keep it on her side of the bed but she never would fired anything but 38's in it so she never found out how it shot with 357's. In spite of all that I think a good 22 is the way to go for new shooters.

Ok I think I killed 2 birds with one stone I purchased the Chiappa 1911-22 very nicely built and 2 fold it will also help my 1911 training and much cheaper to shoot than my springfield and also picked up a used S&W 5906 9mm Police trade !
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Very nice!
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

SR22 for sure or 9mm. I have used both to introduce some women to shooting and had really good results.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links