Uh oh...an issue with my 40 Shield

This is a discussion on Uh oh...an issue with my 40 Shield within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Unlike some folks, I don't think the Shield fits particularly well, or naturally in my hand. I think the factory sights are unexceptional. The balance ...

Distinguished Member

Unlike some folks, I don't think the Shield fits particularly well, or naturally in my hand. I think the factory sights are unexceptional. The balance is pretty good but I don't hear Frank Sinatra when I point it down range. So all in all, it's ok. However, it shoots like a crazy thing. I shoot it better than I can shoot. I tend to like this notion.

This weekend I was out shooting a mix of stuff with a couple of buddies. I think I was on the 3rd magazine with the Shield, had just fired the 2nd round, and the white dot on the front site was gone. So with reading glasses that are under powered and the front site dark, I still went on to shoot better than I can shoot. Now I can't decide if I should just put a drop of something bright in the hole or send the slide back to S&W for repair. It would be great if they said Hey Mr. Savage Heartland, sorry and all that, and here's your new Trijicons. Don't think so. But I might get a free mag out of the process.

Now that this one has moved from I like it ok to I guess I love it....what would you do? I'll swap the sights eventually but not in the next little while. Oh the decisions in a lifetime.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Those little painted dots fall out of sights a lot, and not just on the Shield. I had my back right sight dot fall out of my new 1911 before I took it to the range. A little ceramic craft paint from Wal-Mart or some of that glow stuff should do the trick if you want to go that route.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I have used bright white glow craft paint for years on different sights. If it can stay on a pf-9 and cm and cw9 it can stay on most sights. Just besure to clean well with an alcohol swab first.

I wouldn't send it back. If I had to put a dab of paint on it, I'd do glo-on.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links