Doctor Discusses Gunshot Wounds - Revealing! - Page 2

Doctor Discusses Gunshot Wounds - Revealing!

This is a discussion on Doctor Discusses Gunshot Wounds - Revealing! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good information, especially for those who have not been exposed to it. Much of the caliber and velocity info is old news to the gun ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Doctor Discusses Gunshot Wounds - Revealing!

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Good information, especially for those who have not been exposed to it. Much of the caliber and velocity info is old news to the gun community but there are still many new gun owners without this background.

Incidentally, I watched the entire presentation carefully.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    From my read of it, if using a .380, a lot of hollowpoints to the gut is the way to go. If he doesn't bleed out the infection should finish the job.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    From my read of it, if using a .380, a lot of hollowpoints to the gut is the way to go. If he doesn't bleed out the infection should finish the job.
    If your goal is to kill. Of course he may die of the infection a couple of days after he beat you to death.

And yes, I realize you were being tongue-in-cheek.
    Arborigine likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Kinda interesting, but pretty dry. One thing I don't agree with, is this notion that handguns aren't that deadly. I know he gave stats and what have you, but his opinion is going to be skewed, because the people that are shot and are still hanging on long enough to receive medical attention are the ones he sees. The others are sent directly to the morgue.
    I completely agree. The correct statistic would be that 6 out of 7 handgun victims THAT REACH THE OPERATING ROOM will probably survive.

But overall I think the point is directionally valid. i.e. unless you are lucky enough to hit a vital part of the body, the bad guy is capable of continuing to attack although probably with a diminished capacity. So, multiple shots, center of mass. I guess it's a nice validation of the standard advice.

I watched the whole thing very carefully as well... I found it interesting that the .45 hollow point went through the lung and rested in the muscle in the back.... I also found it interesting that the same round (.45 hollow point, in the same victim, presumably from the same gun) going through the sternum stopped mms from the heart. (1 cm, IIRC)

I also found it very interesting that flesh (skin) has the same resistance as a 4" thickness of muscle.

And, somewhere early on.... the good Doctor told us that what you need to survive is the brain stem... the Medulla Oblongata... and that's what I'm working on demonstrating with "head shot" (In the off topic section...)
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Good video. Managed to make it all the way through.

Good placement with larger calibers seems to be your best bet. I don't think it's either good placement or big bullets, but rather a combination of both that should yield the best results. But, if you have to choose one over the other, it looks like placement is the more important of the two.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    I made it through as well. Excellent video.

My take-away was the reminder that anybody worth shooting once, is worth shooting many times. Or more precisely, to quote Matthew Temkin, "Shoot him to the ground".
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I made it through as well. Excellent video.

My take-away was the reminder that anybody worth shooting once, is worth shooting many times. Or more precisely, to quote Matthew Temkin, "Shoot him to the ground".
    Exactly. The video of the guy getting shot twice with the 9mm and and running away is point enough of this. Need to shoot until the threat is stopped, regardless of how many that is.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links