Some legal help please.

This is a discussion on Some legal help please. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was expelled halfway through 7th grade because someone told an 'administrator' that I said 'I was going to bring a gun to school and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Some legal help please.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I was expelled halfway through 7th grade because someone told an 'administrator' that I said 'I was going to bring a gun to school and shoot him in the head'. I said no such thing.

I was expelled, he lied and got in no trouble whatsoever. So, kids can get expelled based on what others tell adults. Totally regardless of the truth.

So, be careful. Don't take any chances that you don't have to.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

2. Remove Ads

GH
    Little boys have been expelled or suspended from public schools merely for drawing pictures of guns.

It seems that regardless what sort of community a school is in they're run by liberals who for the most part are anti-gun in any way, shape or form. I doubt if you'll get anywhere, especially if schools are mostly controlled by the people who are in authority in individual schools. They're usually autonomous & run the way they see fit. In a local public high school an Army Recruiter who came by for career day was told to leave because he was Infantry & wore crossed rifles on his uniform & a rifle on his Combat Infantry Badge. Maybe a Cavalryman could have gotten by because he would have worn crossed sabers. There was a hue & cry by some parents - to no avail. The School Board wouldn't even hear the complaint. Every other place in society was treating US Service members like heroes because we were a Nation at war.

I sent my kids to Christian schools & now my kids are sending theirs to Christian schools. Most of the teachers - male & female are hunters. If it wouldn't be for the law I'd be able to pick up my grandson wearing a gun open or concealed without anyone batting an eye other than asking me what kind & caliber. The pastors & school board inquired as soon as WI had the concealed carry law enacted & indeed there is no exception to the law.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Two words. Private School....
    Badey likes this.

I doubt its Ohio law, but I will look around a bit.

If you really want to enact change, you need to do it from within, i.e. join the school board.

There is a lady down here who has been doing lots of good things, and is quite a speaker. She got fed up with the constant levies and current school system, so she joined the school board. I can't recall her name right now, but I will find it for you.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I highly doubt it is law. Barstoolguru's answer applies to my state as well. I can legally carry at school, but can still be fired for it. Schools have the ability to dictate their owns rules within the confines of the law from my experience. I also agree with shooter, may cause your son issues that are not yet his issues to deal with. He will get plenty of chances just as we do as 2a promoting citizens.

Good luck!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Even when using sign language to say your name if your fingers might somehow represent a gun is apparently not allowed these days...
    School says deaf boy's name sign looks too much like a gun
    GH likes this.

Administrator
    Or the little kid that was suspended for drawing a picture of a gun in school. Unreal.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Not to be a pain in the you know what........ But if one is seeking legal assistance a forum on the internet is not the place to find it. One needs to contact an attorney that specializes in what one is looking for. Even attorneys that have web pages do not post any legal advice on their sites.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    When I was a school age kid (1960's) we talked about guns, drew pictures of guns, had cap gun fights, etc. Based on today's standards I ought to have evolved into some kind of freaky gun nut shooter/killer. Funny thing I didn't turn out like that, not even close, and I'd like some of these zero tolerance advocates to explain that to me.

My grand kids go to a private school, my daughter said she had a good feeling about the school on the first day. One of the male teachers was wearing a khaki "Remington" shirt! Now, that's what I'm talking about !!!

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I do like a good fight to overturn some ridiculous policy. IMO, lessening that zero tolerance deal is literally a political hot potato. The school board, legislators, administrators, etc won't care to back off of it for one simple reason. If they did
    lessen it, and there was a shooting, they wouldnt "want to hang". Even if the change they made was unrelated to the shooting, they will catch the public, media and likely the Courts wrath regardless.

Sadly there is no easy remedy for the above reason. However, a loud, active movement and voice of parents could gain some ground, though sometimes it's tough to get people together long enough to rob a wrens nest.
    Last edited by ppkheat; August 29th, 2012 at 07:43 AM.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If you're not planning on sending your child into school with a toy gun then I would just drop it since you going into his school and making even the slightest issue over their policy is going to tag you as a "gun nut" in ther eyes.

Of course that is absolutely not true and you are not a nut at all but, that is the way they will perceive the event and they will probably make a CYA note of it on your kids permanent record.

And then who knows what some goofball school official is going to write in that permanent record that is going to follow your child all the way to college.

AKA: "Keep your eye on this one as the parents are obviously gun owners and the child may possibly bring a weapon into the classroom if ever provoked or bullied."

That is the way these people think and you're never going to change that. They are intelligent but, very warped and skewed in their logical thought processes.

If they can expel a girl from school for having two aspirin tablets in her knapsack as a violation of a school ZERO TOLERANCE for drugs (since she did not obtain the aspirin from the school nurse) then they can expel a kid from school for a toy gun.

My advice...Don't fight city hall with your kids future.

Just un-indoctrinate him at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It is sad that you have to play their game by their rules but, unless you can home school then you're pretty much stuck.
    If was any other issue other than one that involved your child I would say...go fight it on principle.

But, you cannot possibly win on this one and you need to choose your battles carefully especially when dealing with the school board.

You don't want to get branded until it's absolutely necessary.
    This is what it looks like when the right answer is also the most sad...I'm going to have to deal with this someday myself and I'm going to have a very hard time swallowing my own beliefs to bend to the rules of the public education system I am paying for.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I doubt its Ohio law, but I will look around a bit.

If you really want to enact change, you need to do it from within, i.e. join the school board.

There is a lady down here who has been doing lots of good things, and is quite a speaker. She got fed up with the constant levies and current school system, so she joined the school board. I can't recall her name right now, but I will find it for you.

Thanks Buckeye.

@QK... I'm not going to freak out or anything. I'm just going to tell him that he lied, I know he lied and that not everyone is a fool or a yes man. I'm not going to upset the apple cart or even make this about guns at all. It's going to be about me telling him that I know he lied.
    QKShooter likes this.

Most of the zero tolerance policies have backfired and gotten a room full of angry parents at school board meetings. If you look close enough you can find all types of violations of zero tolerance policies.

The principal had a sweat stain that looked like a gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Home school as been a great option for my family. Shooting and 2A (and the rest of the Constitution) are part of the school program. Our kids have gotten a good education without the terrible social environment and liberal teaching at the public middle and high schools. I know it's not practical for many people, but for some it might be the best solution.
    accessbob likes this.

How does it go??

Don't ever poke any bears in the eye with a sharp stick ... Leave a sleeping dog lie ... Always run from skunks ...

Just make sure you instruct your children to never ever ever never ever take anything, be it a simple toy or whatever, that even resembles any type of weapon or anything that will get them in trouble to school! Especially on show & tell days, and make sure you OK what ever it is they are taking!!!

There have been elementary students that have been expelled because they wore a t-shirt to school with the name of their favorite college football team on it and the principal didn't like that team so he found a reason and expelled him for it.

I'm not for lying down for things... that's why schools get away with so much BS. But, you have to be ready for the fight.

But, pick your fights.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links