Some legal help please.

This is a discussion on Some legal help please. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ppkheat When I was a school age kid (1960's) we talked about guns, drew pictures of guns, had cap gun fights, etc. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Some legal help please.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    When I was a school age kid (1960's) we talked about guns, drew pictures of guns, had cap gun fights, etc. Based on today's standards I ought to have evolved into some kind of freaky gun nut shooter/killer. Funny thing I didn't turn out like that, not even close, and I'd like some of these zero tolerance advocates to explain that to me.
    Same here and during hunting seasons it was not uncommon to see a few rifles or shotguns in the principal’s office, we would pick them up after class walk home and maybe pick off supper. And another thing almost all of us carried some type of knife, just a tool that saw lots of use on the farm.
    atctimmy likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Same here and during hunting seasons it was not uncommon to see a few rifles or shotguns in the principal’s office, we would pick them up after class walk home and maybe pick off supper. And another thing almost all of us carried some type of knife, just a tool that saw lots of use on the farm.
    Bygone days. When I was in high school I shot on the school's rifle team. After school we would gather at a big walk-in safe on the first floor of one of the buildings to retrieve our rifles, and then carry them through the halls of the school to get to a staircase leading to the rifle range in the basement of another building. My school had a lot of extra curricular activities so the halls were always crowded. And guess what? No one ever got shot, intentionally or accidentally. But to even talk about such a thing today? OH, THE HORROR!
    msgt/ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Heaven forbid your son hold hands with someone or bow his head and pray at lunch time. Zero tolerance there also.
    Negative ghostrider. That one is winnable all day long. There is a sharp line drawn between staff lead and personal, volunteer, or student lead prayer. The first is not allowed. The second is nearly untouchable, except in some pretty specific circumstances. The 1a may be ill, but it ain't dead yet.

And for the OP, I've been expecting to have to deal with something for a while. Partly because of how I carry, and partly because I will not tell my kids to lie about it. However, since I don't make a big deal out of it neither have they so far. If you want to try to make changes, see if anyone on the school board is willing to take on the ridiculous notion of zero tolerance and start letting the principals make educated discipline decisions based on the event, not some piece of paper.

And good luck.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Oh I forgot to add ....

Once we took a couple of our Jr High classes on a field trip to Cedar Point, it's an amusement park in Ohio.

Well, while one of our students was standing in line to go on a ride, someone told one of the parks employees that they saw him, one of our students, < they knew he was one of our students because whenever we go on field trips we all wear brightly colored coordinated T-Shirts with our schools name on it for a variety of reasons but also, because it helps us recognize our students from a distance and keep an eye on them > so they said they saw him dropping bullets on the ground and their park’s security officers went nuts!!!

And it was justifiably so for their security to be concerned, going on the information they were given.

When we go there we always have chaperones stationed in the parks office on rotation in case of an emergency. So they took me, being in charge of the trip, into their main security surveillance room and we located our student in question and they brought him into their security office for questioning.

And it was justifiable to do so to follow through on the information they were given.

Remember when we used to carry pager-beepers? Well it turned out that said student was changing the batteries in his beeper and dropped um on the ground and someone mistakenly thought they were bullets.

So there are some real goofy people out there, so what ah yah going to do?

This won't help, it's just a rant, but "zero tolerance" policies are tantamount to "zero brains." Remove ALL discretion from an incident, no matter the intent. Does our education system have to dumb things down that low?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Does our education system have to dumb things down that low?
    Stupid is, as stupid does.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Even if the change they made was unrelated to the shooting, they will catch the pubic, media and likely the Courts wrath regardless.
    I assume you meant public? Or did you?
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Thanks Buckeye.

@QK... I'm not going to freak out or anything. I'm just going to tell him that he lied, I know he lied and that not everyone is a fool or a yes man. I'm not going to upset the apple cart or even make this about guns at all. It's going to be about me telling him that I know he lied.
    I don't know if calling someone a liar is of any value. Firstly, it's more likely he's misinformed. Secondly, even liars bristle and resent if you call them liars (nevermind non-liars). That said, asking him for documentation is certainly recommended. You can even pretend to be a helicopter parent, terrified that some arcane red-tape might get ATC jr. kicked out of school.

Again, what's "zero tolerance" mean, what're the consequences?
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    I assume you meant public? Or did you?
    Well just consider that pubic or public are both workable.

Seriously, I usually proof pretty close but missed that one, I'll blame it on the iPad operator.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I was at 1st grade orientation with my son last week and something came up. The principal said that the school has a zero tolerance policy on guns. (<--par for the course these days) They said that even a small plastic toy would be in violation of their policy and the child would be expelled.

Now to the meat of my post: THEN he said that the zero tolerance policy was not up to him or his superiors and it was, IN FACT, Ohio sate law. I didn't want to call BS right then but I would like some help from those of you more skilled with the keyboard. Can anyone actually find me the Ohio laws pertaining to the matter. Thanks in advance.

I'm hoping to deliver a printed copy of the actual law right to him as soon as possible....and then call BS.
    Schools are relatively free to set any policy on toys as they wish.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I am so thankful that I can afford private school for my kids. Their school has "Famous American Day" around halloween where the kids (up to 5th grade) dress up as a famous American. Both of my daughters have dressed up as Annie Oakley and carried toys guns as part of their costume. Four years ago they both dressed up as Sarah Palin(camo and glasses). They fought over who got to take the toy hunting rifle.

I would agree with previous posters that you must be careful where you step here. Sometimes we have to balance the society we actually live in with the society as it should be as defined by the law of the land or status quo.

All my life I have been given the advice; Keep a low profile, Keep your head down so the bullets pass overhead, Stay in the shadows, and Don't stir things up.

There are many times that I wish I had followed that advice. Of course I do not.

"We cannot choose freedom established on a hierarchy of degrees of freedom, on a caste system of equality like military rank. We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it." William Faulkner

"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." William Somerset Maugham

"We defend freedom here or it is gone. There is no place for us to run, only to make a stand. And if we fail, I think we face telling our children, and our children's children, what it was we found more precious than freedom. Because I am sure that someday - if we fail in this - there will be a generation that will ask." Ronald Wilson Reagan
    atctimmy likes this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

VIP Member
    For those who don't seem to understand I'll say it again. This isn't about zero tolerance policy. It's about the principal telling lies or spreading misinformation to parents.

The topic could be school lunch menus and I still expect the truth.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    For those who don't seem to understand I'll say it again. This isn't about zero tolerance policy. It's about the principal telling lies or spreading misinformation to parents.

The topic could be school lunch menus and I still expect the truth.
    I still say ask him for the code that he is enforcing. You can even make it sound like you are on his side. For example.."I think it is ridiculous for the legislature to saddle you with this law. I would like to write to my state senator about it. Could you give me the code for research?" It is much less likely to put him on defense and label you as some trouble maker. If he can't produce the code, it might cause him to be more cautious with his speech. You can make your point without outright calling him a liar which I think could cause you and your son some problems in the future. You never know when you might need the principle on your side.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I still say ask him for the code that he is enforcing. You can even make it sound like you are on his side. For example.."I think it is ridiculous for the legislature to saddle you with this law. I would like to write to my state senator about it. Could you give me the code for research?" It is much less likely to put him on defense and label you as some trouble maker. If he can't produce the code, it might cause him to be more cautious with his speech. You can make your point without outright calling him a liar which I think could cause you and your son some problems in the future. You never know when you might need the principle on your side.
    You sound much more patient and tactful than I.

I have found though that squeaky wheels do indeed get greased. So when I see something I don't like I going to squeak and squeak and squeak. This will be an introduction to the principal of my squeak early and often policy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links