What you can do...........................................

This is a discussion on What you can do........................................... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; to a 10/22! The first Christmas my wife and I were married, she gave me a Ruger 10/22. I have no idea how many thousands ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MoMike

Thread: What you can do...........................................

What you can do...........................................

to a 10/22!

The first Christmas my wife and I were married, she gave me a Ruger 10/22. I have no idea how many thousands of rounds I've put through it over the past 30+ years, but for the past couple of years, the groups went to about 6" at 50 yards. Not good. With a magnifying glass, I found a chip at the edge of the muzzle.

Tinkering time!

First came a Butler Creek .920 barrel and Hogue overmoulded stock from Midway. This by itself made a great improvement. And if someone here has never tried it, changing barrels on a 10/22 is a piece of cake. Remove the stock. Lock back the bolt. Remove the two screws holding in the barrel wedge, and the barrel come right off for replacement. Put in the new barrel, put the wedge and screws in loosely, and drop the bolt. Twist the barrel just a little until you hear the extractor drop in place. Then just snug them down.

Still, something was left to be desired, and I decided to replace the cheapy Bushnell Sportview with something better. I ended up with a BSA "Sweet .22" 3-9X40 with adjustable parellax. Not a high dollar scope by far, but I'll have to say I'm pleased.

Sighting in this morning at 30 yards ( about the only distance I sight in a .22 for. If you can't get within 30 yards of a squirrel, something's wrong! ), I had no trouble keeping all shots within a dime sized circle. Then backed down to shooting at red marker dots on a paper plate. Still no problems! Moved the target back to 50 yards, clicked the target type turrets for 50 yards, and back to hitting those circles.

For a $75 scope, I'll reccommend it!

Biggest problem now is that with the heavy barrel and big scope, I think I need a set of wheels on the thing!
    QKShooter likes this.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

2. Remove Ads

Love the 10/22. +1 for inexpensive sights.

With a little but of work and a

Volquartsen Target Hammer Bushings Ruger 10/22

You can get the trigger down to around 3 pounds. It's a fairly expensive mod that makes a WORLD of difference.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

And add a good sling to make it easier to carry.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Rollo, I'll take your advice! I just ordered the hammer kit. That rifle is almost scary accurate now, and I'm anxious to see what happens.

dV8r, I already have a decent neoprene sling. I love the neoprene because you can't MAKE one slide off your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by MoMike View Post
    Biggest problem now is that with the heavy barrel and big scope, I think I need a set of wheels on the thing!
    For my first 10/22 build, I used a 20-inch Green Mountain 0.920 barrel and a Hogue stock, did the trigger work and added a scope. If all I did was shoot from the bench it was fine... then I did an Appleseed Event. Good grief, that thing was so unbalanced and muzzle heavy it just fatigued the heck out of me prematurely.

Got smarter for the next one, and chose an 18" fluted barrel and found a Sporter stock. At most just a half pound lighter, but huge difference - balance point is just forward of the trigger guard, so I can get it on target quickly. And this one is a tack driver, although bedding the action and barrel helped a bunch.

A good barrel with Bentz or match chamber, modest trigger improvements and a modest scope can turn a basic 10/22 into a very satisfying gun.

Just a note on barrels - a .22 Long Rifle reaches max velocity at around 16-17 inches of barrel. The only advantage to longer barrels is for a longer sighting radius if you're using iron sights, so skip those extra-long tubes, folks.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

Just a note on barrels - a .22 Long Rifle reaches max velocity at around 16-17 inches of barrel.
    That is VERY interesting. I am looking at green mountain barrels for mine and I was planning on going with a 20 just because I figured more barrel = more accuracy. Thanks for the info!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    You can buy a GM barrel and get a pretty good one or get a very average barrel. I have been there and done there barrels and even sent me a new barrel. Then after shooting next to a KIDD barrel for the first time and went home and ordered one. Mine is a 20" for bench use only. My wife wanted a light weight but accurate rifle and I built heres around a Clark Customs 16" mid weight. Both are .300 or less at 50 yard rifles. The newest rifle barrels to come along to 10/22's are by F J Fedderson- 1022 Rifle : Accurate and Affordable 10/22 Rifle Barrels , and seem to be as high a quality as any and with as good CS as anyone. They have been know to "fix" other barrels issues to free. Kidd has a great deal in a trigger kit that will get you under 2LB not and do it affordably. Only time a 20" barrel is better is if you are shooting receiver sights and adding a bloop tube or bench shooting. the added weight doe make for a steadlier rifle to shot.

For the hunters Look at Boonie Packers - SafarI Sling. Cabela's - always ready customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

It allows you to carry your rifle in front of you ready to lift to shoot and you can walk around hands free. I have used one for close to 20 years with my heavy hunter , all 10lbs 8oz of it. never been a problem. It is a very different sling.

Rollo, that hammer kit went in today. Now just have to wait for the time to try it out again.

Links