Do you remember the first time you went shooting?

This is a discussion on Do you remember the first time you went shooting? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do you remember the first time you went shooting? Is there an interesting story there? I will start. A buddy of mine took me to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Do you remember the first time you went shooting?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Do you remember the first time you went shooting? Is there an interesting story there?

I will start. A buddy of mine took me to the local indoor range. He handed me a .22 and I shot several magazines. I commented how easy it was. Then he handed me a .45. I was not prepared for the difference in recoil and the gun smacked me in the nose. It started to bleed and my friend panicked because he thought I shot myself.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Korean war M1 Carbine owned by my Step Father (Korean War K9 Corp vet) in the Arizona desert. Surprised at how easy it was to line up the sights and take the shot.

Then 25 yrs later with a friend again in the desert. Shooting crackers off logs with a .22 rifle.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

My grandfather taught me to shoot using his .22/.410 over/under on his farm. It was fun hitting spray paint cans with the .410. We got several of us shooting the .22 at poker chips set up at about 20 yards. My mother surprised us all by shooting better than any of us.

VIP Member
    .22 rifle shooting at a 55-gallon drum supervised by dad and granddad. I was four years old. Many years later, I inherited the rifle, which I still have.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Whooo, this was a long time ago, and I think this was the first time?

IIRC I was about 8, I went with my Dad on a late evening duck hunt. I don't remember if I pestered him or not (probably did), but he let me shoot his Remington Sportsman '48 when we got ready to walk home. I was impressed at my manly gun skills and thought I handled that big shotgun easily. One day it dawned on me that he was in tandem with me holding it, taking the recoil, while I was essentially only pulling the trigger.

He passed away about two years ago, I have that very gun right now in my safe.
    WHEC724 and miller_man like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

My Grandfather bought all of us Grandsons LIFE NRA MEMBERSHIPS on the very DAY we were born. He delighted in teaching us all the how & why of firearms as we grew. The first lesson, without fail, for every one of us - was a large, ripe watermelon at about 10 yards. While we stood next to him he carefully & throughly explained how VERY dangerous all firearms were. He made safety the absolute priority for ALL ASPECTS of firearm activity. Then he asked us to closely watch the melon. KaaaBOOOOM!. The very loud, pants-peeing, visual effect of that watermelon EXPLODING red (bloody) chunks in all directions has stuck in my & my cousins' minds some 45 years later. He wanted us to SEE what a gun could/would do. What a Grandpa!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

My Uncle (mom's younger brother) took me out at the tender age of 7 to shoot his Remmington .22 autoloader. It was in a wooded area below an electric cable tower. I was deadly on those available discarded beer cans from the previous visits of strangers. I loved it and this was where my love of firearms began.

He taught me how to shoot, how to be safe about it and that guns were not "bad" when used properly. Later on, my dad also took me shooting with a borrowed .410 singe shot in preparation for my first Squirrel hunting adventure.

Oh yes, I have fond memories of those first times shooting!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

My first time was in my early twenties, in boot camp. I had never even seen a gun before, except on a cop's belt. The night before we shot, our company commander told us to pay close attention to our instructors and forget anything we thought we knew about shooting. Since I didn't think I knew anything about shooting, this was easy advice to follow, and I was very proud to end up shooting "expert" on the handgun and "marksman" on the rifle. (This was in the 1990s, not sure if the designations have changed since then.) I guess this sounds like boasting, but it forever impressed on me the value of high-quality instruction when it comes to shooting, both in terms of gaining the necessary skills and having a positive experience that makes you want to keep coming back. Also, to counter the boasting, I should admit that, for the rest of my four-year hitch, I shot slightly worse on each succeeding range visit. There's probably another lesson there.

Sure do. Went up north to Eagle River WI with my neighbor when I was about 10 got to shoot a 22LR and a 9mm. Couldn't get guns out of my mind ever since and it wasn't until after college that I got my first shot gun and now a few hand guns to boot. Not growing up in a household or extended family that had guns was tough because I had such an interest in them. Though I now have a list of about 10 guns that are on my TO BUY list and I am sure that is just the beginning!!

I don't know how old I was, maybe 8 or 9... but we were at my grandpa's hunting lodge and my dad took me out with a .22 and we shot at some ping pong balls.

My 1st time shooting was qualifying for the USAF, I grew up just outside Chicago and my family is LOLNOGUNZ. I got many more opportunities to shoot after that, going to Afghanistan is what made me decide on finally getting serious about gun ownership.
    Molon Labe

Sure do. visiting my grandparents in WV. Standing outside of their house in the backyard at the base of a foothill shooting at tomatoes on the fence line posts with my grandfathers old 22 pistol. Have no idea who made it but to pull that trigger and shoot at those red fruit with my dad and grandfather was so cool. I have no idea if I ever hit one. I remember them blowing them apart but can't say I did. It was just cool to be out there with them and doing something so exciting. Wish they were both still here so I could return the memory.

Cool thing is I have passed this forward to both of my boys. Hopefully they will have great memories of our 1st time shooting as they grow older. In their case we used watermelons and a 410 shotgun. Kids now need a little more excitement to get started.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Outing with my Sunday School class (all boys) in 1967 when I was 10. We went to an outdoor range and fired .22's at targets from about 50 yds. I don't think I actually hit the target much but had an awesome time.

Sure do, but I probably would of forgot about it by now if it wasn't for one of the people I was with trying to be "big and bad" and tried to shoot a DE one handed.. he ended up with a broken nose.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Yup, 26 years ago we took a family vacation to Arkansas. My Step-Grandfather took my Dad and I out on his boat, we found a secluded cove on the lake, I sat in the boat and shot a .22 lever action at a target we had set up on land ~25 yards away. I remember having to wait to shoot between the wake of passing boats.

I just came across the photos a few months ago.

Here I am counting shells afterwards
    counting brass.jpg

And here's my first target
    first target.jpg
    miller_man likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links