Need help deciding, double-stack full-size 9mm

This is a discussion on Need help deciding, double-stack full-size 9mm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by miller_man I would stay away from taurus - or don't, learn it the hard way like I did. As someone who "hated ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Need help deciding, double-stack full-size 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I would stay away from taurus - or don't, learn it the hard way like I did.

As someone who "hated glocks" too, you really should shoot one before you keep knocking em. I did . . . now I have one.

Best thing to do is rent and try out as many as you can. Shooting is a whole lot better than just holding them.

And in all reality, whatever you get - chances are it'll change sometime shortly down the road.
    Pretty straight forward.
    Many times what you'll rule out at first on a whim might be the best thing you've ruled out on a whim. In the heat of battle, you may find a rock as your best bet on survival. Don't rule out the dirt underneath the rock either. It's how you use what's given or available. Survival is in the mind......everything else is like frosting on the cake. You need sugar free?

2. Remove Ads

I highly recommend the Smith M&P 9mm. Mine is very accurate, shoots cast bullets like a champ, has interchangeable back straps, and 17 round capacity. Some like their trigger right out out of the box, however I think that an Apex sear and striker block are significant upgrades.
    NRA Life Member

I'd have to jump in on the cz 75 wagon here. Or m&p for that matter. Used Sig might be a good option. To me the XD trigger is only about 1 step better than my old red Ryder BB gun. Maybe the xdm triggers are better though. Had a pt92...it was a decent hammer / club but didn't serve well as a firearm.

sent via iCarry

Love my Beretta PX4's. Have a SC 9mm with the snap down magazine extensions and a full size .40 and they are both very accurate and smooth shooting especially when firing SA. long trigger pull from off safety when DA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by david_c View Post
    Well Glock is the standard that all others are judged by and for good reason, it's the best handgun made. Not sure why so many are fascinated with the old 1911, it's just not that great. I have shot and carried one a lot in the military but would never consider giving up my glock for one. I guess second choice would be a Springfield compact.

Gun Review: Glock G19 (Gen4) | The Truth About Guns

I stood in shock and looked down at the Tupperware gun in my hand wondering, “What the hell just happened?” In one hour, my attitude about Glocks had turned 180 degrees. For the first time I saw my 1911 for what it is: an iconic pistol that has been surpassed and outclassed by superior technology. I was holding an ergonomic, compact, accurate, lightweight, high-capacity pistol with the reliability of a Swiss watch. I had seen the light.
    Comparing a glock to a Swiss watch? Gimme a break. That is a disservice to Swiss watches.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by david_c View Post
    Well Glock is the standard that all others are judged by and for good reason, it's the best handgun made. Not sure why so many are fascinated with the old 1911, it's just not that great. I have shot and carried one a lot in the military but would never consider giving up my glock for one. I guess second choice would be a Springfield compact.

Gun Review: Glock G19 (Gen4) | The Truth About Guns

I stood in shock and looked down at the Tupperware gun in my hand wondering, “What the hell just happened?” In one hour, my attitude about Glocks had turned 180 degrees. For the first time I saw my 1911 for what it is: an iconic pistol that has been surpassed and outclassed by superior technology. I was holding an ergonomic, compact, accurate, lightweight, high-capacity pistol with the reliability of a Swiss watch. I had seen the light.
    You can learn to handle a Glock and shoot it comfortably. You can't learn to live with a gun that hasn't got the proven track record for reliability that Glock enjoys. I don't buy them for their personality!

I would suggest you have a look at a Walther PPQ. If you do so, I predict your search will be over.

/
    usmc0311 and kerberos like this.

I have to second the PPQ. It's everything people try to make their M&P's and Glocks into.

(that should stir the pot a bit)LOL

Spinner
    usmc0311 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaT View Post
    I highly recommend the Smith M&P 9mm. Mine is very accurate, shoots cast bullets like a champ, has interchangeable back straps, and 17 round capacity. Some like their trigger right out out of the box, however I think that an Apex sear and striker block are significant upgrades.
    Being able to shoot cast bullets just put another big check in the positives for the M&P, I like guns that can shoot cast bullets since I can buy those for about 2/3 the cost of plated bullets and 1/2 the cost of jacketed bullets. Makes target practice even cheaper. I have dry-fired one before and I do like the trigger on the M&P better than any of the 4 I listed in my OP, another big positive because I don't like modifying the internals of a gun that I might use in self defense at some point.

I went and handled a few CZs and the Sig 2022 earlier today and didn't particularly like any of them. I did see a P250 that I liked.

Right now I am pretty much settled down to the XD9, M&P9, Sig P250 and PT92. I need to get out and shoot the M&P and Sig before making my final decision. I decided to oust the EAA Witness because I read a slew of reviews about EAA's horrifying customer service, which also has the Taurus on the chopping block as well for that same reason. I know S&W and Springfield are two of the most praised for their customer service in the industry, although I don't know too much about Sig and their customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by roadhazzard3 View Post
    I would suggest you have a look at a Walther PPQ. If you do so, I predict your search will be over.

/
    ******, why did you have to mention Walther...I already have a P22 on my wish list for a range plinker, I'll have to see if the range has a PPQ available to rent when I go in this weekend.

XDm 9mm Compact - Pretty much a full size with the extended mag.

If you're fine with 15 rounds, I'd suggest a Walther PPQ <-- Best stock trigger on any firearm I have ever known and just as dependable as Glock or XD :)

I don't own a PPQ but when I picked one up at a LGS I was amazed at the way if fit in my hand--unlike anything else I have held. It points very naturally and the trigger is Awesome!!. If i were in the market for a full size that is without a doubt what I would choose..... Fair warning though- the mag release is not your typical button style. Instead it is located on the trigger guard. If you can get past this one issue I would wager you won't be dissapointed
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member
    I'd also look at th Bersa and CZ lines.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Lots of good suggestions here but I'd recommend a CZ75B. Strong value and a superb gun...really fun to own and my favorite pistol. The only reason I'd consider something other than the CZ is if you want something a bit lighter. Can't argue with the G19 and Walther PPQ suggestions.

Have you looked at the Steyr M9-A1 or the M40-A1? Nice double stack with great ergonomics. I have large hands, and I use the 9mm version, 17 round mags on with 9mm. It has quick acquisition sight that are a little different from your usual 3-dot sights. If you get a chance to handle one, I think you would like it very much.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links