Lightweight Commander 1911 - What to look for

Lightweight Commander 1911 - What to look for

This is a discussion on Lightweight Commander 1911 - What to look for within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I posted my P229 for trade yesterday and quickly got an offer of a Series 70 Commander Lightweight. I already have a Combat Commander, but ...

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,950

    Lightweight Commander 1911 - What to look for

    I posted my P229 for trade yesterday and quickly got an offer of a Series 70 Commander Lightweight. I already have a Combat Commander, but am not familiar with the Lightweight. I know that the frame is Aluminum alloy (is it the same alloy as the Defender?) and that the gun weighs less (more recoil, etc...), that is a given, but are there any particular defects I should be aware of, parts issues, etc....?
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

    The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array Bud White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Away - Health Problems
    Posts
    17,353
    Check for frame cracks at the dust rail and the slide stop area..

    While they might not ever effect the gun most dont i wouldn't wanna start that way ..

    Also check for slide battering of the frame in the barrel bed which is a sign soemone ran to light of recoil spring for a lot of rounds..

    Also make sure that there was not a hack job done on the feed ramp or barrel

    Then of course do you normal checks of timing and make sure hammer doesn't follow etc etc


    OD and Qk might be able to offer more

  3. #3
    Lead Moderator
    Array rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    16,029
    the only defect that comes to mind is you might end up buying more 1911's . seems its a disease as bad as BRD. Just look a Bud.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson


    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array Bud White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Away - Health Problems
    Posts
    17,353
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    the only defect that comes to mind is you might end up buying more 1911's . seems its a disease as bad as BRD. Just look a Bud.
    yes that can be a problem and your almost right rocky except i dont have any lightweights except a fullsize springer anymore all my commanders are steel.. but im gonna fix that

  5. #5
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,447
    Ditto: Bud

    The feed ramp - especially on an alloy frame. If the feed ramp is messed with then you'll have to get the entire ramp area machined out and have a ramped barrel fit.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

  6. #6
    Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Check for frame cracks at the dust rail and the slide stop area..

    While they might not ever effect the gun most dont i wouldn't wanna start that way ..

    Also check for slide battering of the frame in the barrel bed which is a sign soemone ran to light of recoil spring for a lot of rounds..

    Also make sure that there was not a hack job done on the feed ramp or barrel

    Then of course do you normal checks of timing and make sure hammer doesn't follow etc etc


    OD and Qk might be able to offer more
    Thanks for the info. I'll be looking for them to chime in. If not I'll pm them.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    the only defect that comes to mind is you might end up buying more 1911's . seems its a disease as bad as BRD. Just look a Bud.
    Too late! I just checked my safe. I have 16 1911s (mostly 45s, a few 10mms, and a .38 Super). One more ain't gonna kill me. I think I said that the last time too.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

    The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

  7. #7
    Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Ditto: Bud

    The feed ramp - especially on an alloy frame. If the feed ramp is messed with then you'll have to get the entire ramp area machined out and have a ramped barrel fit.
    What defects specifically should I look for in the ramp; bad polishing, etc...?
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

    The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

  8. #8
    VIP Member Array Bud White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Away - Health Problems
    Posts
    17,353
    yes bad polish or heavy polishing or something looks like someone went to work with a dremal i would prefer a untouched Ramp if it doesnt look like the factory did it (course that could be a good thing sometimes)

    then i would pass course asking to be able to put some rounds downrange would be a must.

  9. #9
    Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    yes bad polish or heavy polishing or something looks like someone went to work with a dremal i would prefer a untouched Ramp if it doesnt look like the factory did it (course that could be a good thing sometimes)

    then i would pass course asking to be able to put some rounds downrange would be a must.
    Definitely gonna test fire it, probably at the NRA range in Fairfax. The guy lives about two hrs away from me. I'll see if I can get some clear closeups of the ramp and disassembled slide before I drive up there.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

    The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array Bud White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Away - Health Problems
    Posts
    17,353
    That would be a good ting to do save ya both gas money and time if it doesnt look good in the pics

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array ELCruisr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    2,073
    I run a LW Commander as my primary carry. As far as we can tell I'm third owner, my son was second. I love the gun. The recoil isn't that much worse than a steel frame to me. I have seen a few beat up ramps on aluminum frames from using non captive steel followers in mags. A no no on the aluminum frames. I've also seen an article on replacing the ramped area with a steel insert. Sort of a smaller step than a ramped barrel. Also was warned by a gunsmith about some hollow points being hard on aluminum ramps. Don't remember the brand but the opening being large and the edge of it slamming the ramp instead of the ogive of the bullet. Not a problem as I carry ball or efmj. They sure carry nice though!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

  12. #12
    VIP Member Array Bud White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Away - Health Problems
    Posts
    17,353
    Speer was one of the ones that are Hard on the feedramp ..They dont make the old Flying Ashtray anymore ..

    Most JHP's wont cause a problem now a days

    But ya notice its not the colts ya usually read about with the beat up frame from mags or JHP's just other Brands?

  13. #13
    VIP Member Array ELCruisr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    2,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Speer was one of the ones that are Hard on the feedramp ..They dont make the old Flying Ashtray anymore ..

    Most JHP's wont cause a problem now a days

    But ya notice its not the colts ya usually read about with the beat up frame from mags or JHP's just other Brands?
    Hmmm, you know, now that you mention it that's been the case. Never been an issue for me as I run Wilsons in mine anyway. Good info to keep filed away. Thanks Bud.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

  14. #14
    VIP Member Array Bud White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Away - Health Problems
    Posts
    17,353
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Hmmm, you know, now that you mention it that's been the case. Never been an issue for me as I run Wilsons in mine anyway. Good info to keep filed away. Thanks Bud.
    I too use mostly Wilson for carry

    good mags and i had to in my 1911sc due to the steel followers coming out and yes gouging the frame

    that 1911 is long gone but the Wilson's are still running Strong

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Ammo for Lightweight Commander
    By VNVet52 in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: September 5th, 2012, 09:39 AM
  2. Looking for a Lightweight Commander or Smaller, I think?
    By harley2007 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: January 16th, 2010, 09:40 AM
  3. New Colt Commander 1911 Lightweight
    By Rossman in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: September 9th, 2007, 09:50 PM
  4. which lightweight "Commander-size" 1911 would you choose?
    By Chris17404 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: May 26th, 2007, 02:06 PM
  5. Colt Lightweight Commander
    By blgoode in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: May 18th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Search tags for this page

1911 lightweight commander

,

70 series colt lightweight commander

,

alloy commander 1911

,
best alloy commander 1911
,
colt 1911 commander light weight series 70
,

colt light weight commander 70 series

,
jhp for lightweight commander
,
life expensitivity of a colt light weight commander 1911
,

lightweight 1911

,

lightweight commander 1911

,

series 70 lightweight commander

,
what year did colt make the light weight colt commander
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors