Lightweight Commander 1911 - What to look for

This is a discussion on Lightweight Commander 1911 - What to look for within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I posted my P229 for trade yesterday and quickly got an offer of a Series 70 Commander Lightweight. I already have a Combat Commander, but ...

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar

I posted my P229 for trade yesterday and quickly got an offer of a Series 70 Commander Lightweight. I already have a Combat Commander, but am not familiar with the Lightweight. I know that the frame is Aluminum alloy (is it the same alloy as the Defender?) and that the gun weighs less (more recoil, etc...), that is a given, but are there any particular defects I should be aware of, parts issues, etc....?
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Check for frame cracks at the dust rail and the slide stop area..

While they might not ever effect the gun most dont i wouldn't wanna start that way ..

Also check for slide battering of the frame in the barrel bed which is a sign soemone ran to light of recoil spring for a lot of rounds..

Also make sure that there was not a hack job done on the feed ramp or barrel

Then of course do you normal checks of timing and make sure hammer doesn't follow etc etc

OD and Qk might be able to offer more

Lead Moderator
    the only defect that comes to mind is you might end up buying more 1911's . seems its a disease as bad as BRD. Just look a Bud.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    the only defect that comes to mind is you might end up buying more 1911's . seems its a disease as bad as BRD. Just look a Bud.
    yes that can be a problem and your almost right rocky except i dont have any lightweights except a fullsize springer anymore all my commanders are steel.. but im gonna fix that

Administrator
    Ditto: Bud

The feed ramp - especially on an alloy frame. If the feed ramp is messed with then you'll have to get the entire ramp area machined out and have a ramped barrel fit.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Check for frame cracks at the dust rail and the slide stop area..

While they might not ever effect the gun most dont i wouldn't wanna start that way ..

Also check for slide battering of the frame in the barrel bed which is a sign soemone ran to light of recoil spring for a lot of rounds..

Also make sure that there was not a hack job done on the feed ramp or barrel

Then of course do you normal checks of timing and make sure hammer doesn't follow etc etc

OD and Qk might be able to offer more
    Thanks for the info. I'll be looking for them to chime in. If not I'll pm them.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Too late! I just checked my safe. I have 16 1911s (mostly 45s, a few 10mms, and a .38 Super). One more ain't gonna kill me. I think I said that the last time too.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Ditto: Bud

The feed ramp - especially on an alloy frame. If the feed ramp is messed with then you'll have to get the entire ramp area machined out and have a ramped barrel fit.
    What defects specifically should I look for in the ramp; bad polishing, etc...?

yes bad polish or heavy polishing or something looks like someone went to work with a dremal i would prefer a untouched Ramp if it doesnt look like the factory did it (course that could be a good thing sometimes)

then i would pass course asking to be able to put some rounds downrange would be a must.

yes bad polish or heavy polishing or something looks like someone went to work with a dremal i would prefer a untouched Ramp if it doesnt look like the factory did it (course that could be a good thing sometimes)

then i would pass course asking to be able to put some rounds downrange would be a must.
    Definitely gonna test fire it, probably at the NRA range in Fairfax. The guy lives about two hrs away from me. I'll see if I can get some clear closeups of the ramp and disassembled slide before I drive up there.

That would be a good ting to do save ya both gas money and time if it doesnt look good in the pics

I run a LW Commander as my primary carry. As far as we can tell I'm third owner, my son was second. I love the gun. The recoil isn't that much worse than a steel frame to me. I have seen a few beat up ramps on aluminum frames from using non captive steel followers in mags. A no no on the aluminum frames. I've also seen an article on replacing the ramped area with a steel insert. Sort of a smaller step than a ramped barrel. Also was warned by a gunsmith about some hollow points being hard on aluminum ramps. Don't remember the brand but the opening being large and the edge of it slamming the ramp instead of the ogive of the bullet. Not a problem as I carry ball or efmj. They sure carry nice though!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Speer was one of the ones that are Hard on the feedramp ..They dont make the old Flying Ashtray anymore ..

Most JHP's wont cause a problem now a days

But ya notice its not the colts ya usually read about with the beat up frame from mags or JHP's just other Brands?

Speer was one of the ones that are Hard on the feedramp ..They dont make the old Flying Ashtray anymore ..

Most JHP's wont cause a problem now a days

But ya notice its not the colts ya usually read about with the beat up frame from mags or JHP's just other Brands?
    Hmmm, you know, now that you mention it that's been the case. Never been an issue for me as I run Wilsons in mine anyway. Good info to keep filed away. Thanks Bud.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Hmmm, you know, now that you mention it that's been the case. Never been an issue for me as I run Wilsons in mine anyway. Good info to keep filed away. Thanks Bud.
    I too use mostly Wilson for carry

good mags and i had to in my 1911sc due to the steel followers coming out and yes gouging the frame

that 1911 is long gone but the Wilson's are still running Strong

Links