Wilson combat thumb and grip safety question

This is a discussion on Wilson combat thumb and grip safety question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a sig ultra which is an officers size frame. I want to put Wilson's bulletproof thumb safety and grip safety on it. First ...

I have a sig ultra which is an officers size frame. I want to put Wilson's bulletproof thumb safety and grip safety on it. First question is what grip safety to order. Their site says one for govt and one for commander. Will either one of those fit the officers frame? Second question is how much fitting will be required on both parts? I am no expert gunsmith but some simple fitting I think I do. Please advise. Thanks
    "God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal"

“Guns don’t kill people, husbands who come home early from work kill people”
    ~Larry the Cable Guy

Administrator
    The 1911 Thumb Safety is not a "drop in" part. Fitting it exactly is critical. It can be done at home but, you really need to take your time and know what you are doing.

The grip safety will sometimes drop right in but, not always. You'll need some instruction on fitting that also.

This should help.

Scroll down to the Brownell's Thumb Safety section. Here is the link.

GunTech : Building A 1911

A 1911 variant isn't a GLOCK. And the safety fitting process isn't to be at all hurried. Go slow. You may have to disassemble, reassemble & test a half dozen times if you want it as good as it CAN be. My advice? Don't use a Sig Ultra & Wilson parts for a first-try training exercise. Unless you've got a serious hankerin' to become a 1911 guru, take (or ship) that pistol to well-respected 1911 pro & be happy with the results forever. Then go carve on your GLOCK.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    A 1911 variant isn't a GLOCK. And the safety fitting process isn't to be at all hurried. Go slow. You may have to disassemble, reassemble & test a half dozen times if you want it as good as it CAN be. My advice? Don't use a Sig Ultra & Wilson parts for a first-try training exercise. Unless you've got a serious hankerin' to become a 1911 guru, take (or ship) that pistol to well-respected 1911 pro & be happy with the results forever. Then go carve on your GLOCK.

After some consideration I am going to agree with you. While I think I could get it right (keyword being think) I have spent to much on the sig to risk really screwing something up. Any recommendations on a good gunsmith to ship it to? We really don't have anyone around where I live that I know of.
    "God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal"

“Guns don’t kill people, husbands who come home early from work kill people”
    ~Larry the Cable Guy

Links