Unusual OCer spotted the other day at a fire scene. Volunteer Firefighter!

This is a discussion on Unusual OCer spotted the other day at a fire scene. Volunteer Firefighter! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now don't get me wrong. Sometimes I OC, and I don't have a problem with others OCing, however this was a head turner. Since I ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Badey
  • 2 Post By Eagleks
  • 3 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Unusual OCer spotted the other day at a fire scene. Volunteer Firefighter!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Now don't get me wrong. Sometimes I OC, and I don't have a problem with others OCing, however this was a head turner.

Since I wasn't bold enough to snap a pic, here's the narrative. There was a structure fire. Several fire departments (mostly volunteer) had sent apparatus for mutual aid. Toward the end of the incident, this particular volunteer showed up. He was wearing jeans and a department issue T shirt. He was also OCing a sidearm AND AN OPEN CARRY BADGE. He was not wearing bunker gear or attempting to assist with fire suppression or anything else. Basically he was an official bystander, wandering about and chit-chatting with his Chief, a few other volunteers and a Deputy, who also volunteers in his department. I have never seen this guy before but I'm told he is not new. I guess he just doesn't show up on EMS calls. I know another of this department's volunteers OCs but not to incidents, and also works unarmed security at the local hospital.

So...

Volunteer Firefighter OCs in what passes for a uniform out here in rural land, department apparently doesn't care. Cool.

OPEN CARRY BADGE, a 6 point star/shield - just a little weird.

I'm informed that he is former USMC. Interesting tattoo of Old Glory on the back of his shaved head to boot.

The badge looked sorta but not exactly like this, and I'm told has some wording about OC but not sure what it is.

STAR.jpg
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Odd. I'm thinking he at least had the brains to not turn out when he was carrying (especially openly). I volunteer in my hometown when I'm not working in the "big city" and I always lock up my handgun in my pick-up (COM safe) before jumping on the big red truck. There's no official no guns policy but I think it's addressed in a law somewhere in Maine or maybe just a town ordinance talking about public servants who aren't sworn officers carrying firearms.

The overall description makes him sound like a nut. Just saying. I'm for open carry also and I still think this.

Wow... well, an OC badge makes a little bit more sense than a CC badge (since the CC badge blows your cover), but not much...
    ericb327 likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I guess I'm missing something.... see it as no big deal.
    jem102 and sgb like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Rural area, largely-volunteer forces, comes OC'ing, obviously a long-timer in the group. But he's got a badge and a tattoo. Half the marines out there have tattoos. Badge seems pointless, if indeed it was one of those fake civvy I'm-a-carrier type badge. Overall, he sounds little different than many other staff in the volunteer departments in many communities where I've lived. Kudos to him and all the other volunteers who ponied up that day.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I have fireman friends who are sworn LEOs and others who have CCW and carry on the job. Even in my rural mountain area, they see as many weirdos as the cops. The OC badge is lame, though. Do they come in boxes of CrackerJacks?
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

I've been known to jump on the truck and head out with a pistol on my hip numerous times, I've even worn the bunker gear over it. I do not act as an internal ff so no worries about dropping it in a house etc. Many wrecks and medical calls in our rural area, never know what you may find. I am a sworn leo too but that rarely comes up on fire calls. I wish more of my guys did the same, the red often shows well before the blue out here. Badge is silly though.

Heard of some depts carrying shotguns on their trucks bc of drug activity in their area. Helpful for dogs, flopping deer, or protection if you are in a bad area.

Jason

Ps I have tats too but none on my bald head lol
    Last edited by AllAbtSlfDef; September 1st, 2012 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Sperling/more info
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

What in the world does the badge accomplish? Compliance with State requirements to carry handguns qualifies one to carry, and the gun, when exhibited openly on the hip, announces that carrying is occurring. So, what does the badge validate, indicate, or protect?

Answer: The badge accomplishes about as much to validate, indicate, and protect as the tattoo does.

Are we certain it wasn't some sort of fire marshal's badge?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Are you sure he wasn't some kind of a fire/arson investigator? I have read about fire investigators in WA. They're officially detectives within the fire department and carry firearms just like police. They have the same authorities and powers. They can even arrest and detain people.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Interesting tattoo of Old Glory on the back of his shaved head to boot.

Really?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    Are you sure he wasn't some kind of a fire/arson investigator? I have read about fire investigators in WA. They're officially detectives within the fire department and carry firearms just like police. They have the same authorities and powers. They can even arrest and detain people.
    Same in a few states and in large cities. Fire Investigators usually don't open carry. I've worked with many who CC. Some who work the scene in a tough area just bring an 870 and put it in the room they are working but they let everyone see it when they walk into the scene. To cary a weapon you have to pass the same training requirement as any LEO and be sworn in.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

sgb
    He must have been a sheepdog
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Or a firedog?

No he's not LEO. My partner volunteers at his station and is also ex local LEO, and filled me in on the details in the original post. No fire/arson LEOs in this county, career or volunteer.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links