Glock 23 with 9mm conversion or get a Glock 19?

This is a discussion on Glock 23 with 9mm conversion or get a Glock 19? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Multiple caliber firearms are a better idea in theory than in practice. Having played that game, I eventually decided I really wasn't saving much money ...

View Poll Results: Which glock?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 19

16 51.61%
  • Glock 23

15 48.39%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock 23 with 9mm conversion or get a Glock 19?

Multiple caliber firearms are a better idea in theory than in practice. Having played that game, I eventually decided I really wasn't saving much money or gaining much appreciable practicality. I now see it much like an adjustable suspension on my sports car. It's a neat idea to think I CAN crawl under my car and adjust my suspension to different settings, but the NEED to perform the task seldom comes up often enough to justify the cost & effort. IMHO, Just buy the (complete) pistol that you want & be done with it.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

2. Remove Ads

Just got back from the range. I shot my friend's borrowed G19 and my M&P9c side by side.

I honestly couldn't tell a difference between the two, shot the same, felt the same, recoiled the same. cycled the same. the 147gr ammo was impacting high and left on the glock consistently, but decent groups.

with rapid fire, the M&P9c did really good. out to 20 yards, I was excellent with it too... on the G19, I was impacting too far left high, but I was able to see the groups.

I think I'm going to just stick with my M&P9c for off duty use since I shoot it so well. for the G22, I will ge a conversion barrel, and if I decide to shoot some kind of match/training with it, I'll put a 9mm barrel in it.

Here are the pictures from the targets... I'm going to post a range review on my thoughts in a few, but I figured I'll put it here too since I went to the range to see how I liked the G19 lol

20 feet slow fire (G19 top, M&P9c bottom)

Glock 19 rapid fire (20 feet)

M&P9c rapid fire (20 feet)

Glock 19 20 yards

M&P9c 20 yards

I had the same dilemma a year ago. I bought the 23, a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel, and two 15-round 9mm mags. I'm really glad that I went this route. I love the versatility. I train with both calibers every range session. I prefer to shoot 9mm because it's cheaper, but I keep the .40 barrel in as a HD weapon. I don't carry this Glock, but I would have no qualms about carrying it with the Lone Wolf conversion barrel. I've put close to 1,000 rounds through the LW barrel and have only had 1 (that's ONE) malfunction. It was a FTE and it happened when it was brand new.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Multiple caliber firearms are a better idea in theory than in practice. Having played that game, I eventually decided I really wasn't saving much money or gaining much appreciable practicality. I now see it much like an adjustable suspension on my sports car. It's a neat idea to think I CAN crawl under my car and adjust my suspension to different settings, but the NEED to perform the task seldom comes up often enough to justify the cost & effort. IMHO, Just buy the (complete) pistol that you want & be done with it.
    As you could tell by reading my earlier post, I have had the opposite experience. By utilizing different barrels I have saved the money of buying 5 other Glocks ( I haven't had to buy the G17,19,26,31,32,or 33,)I did spend $100 a piece for the barrels though. They have been just as reliable as my other Glock barrels and am very happy with my purchases.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Either will due depending on what you want you are trying to accomplish with the guns. If you confident in your ability to shoot the .40 cal round, then having the Glock 23 wouldn't be a bad way to go and get the conversion barrel. If you are wanting to use a 9mm for defensive purposes, I would get the Glock 19 and not mess with a conversion barrel. Most of us on here would not recommend using a modification such as that to self defense due to it being an after market part. Now if you were to take a Glock 23 and put a Glock .357 SIG OEM barrel into it and use that for self defense, that would be a whole different story.

If you have the money, get the G23 and a conversion barrel and 9mm magazines.
    Will you get a threaded barrel or ported one?
    --Jason--

I would go with the G23 and get the 40/9mm barrel. Only thing is, I would only carry it with the 40 cal barrel in it. The 9mm would just be for play time.
    Question Everything!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    I would go with the G23 and get the 40/9mm barrel. Only thing is, I would only carry it with the 40 cal barrel in it. The 9mm would just be for play time.
    This is what I've done, and exactly my plan. 9mm for play and range time, stock 40 for carry (with 40 cal practice too of course). I have right at $600 invested and basicly have 2 guns.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

my g23-LW9 seems to shoot REAL high at 20+ ft....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links