Glock 23 with 9mm conversion or get a Glock 19?

This is a discussion on Glock 23 with 9mm conversion or get a Glock 19? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want to get a glock 19 (I think... I borrowed one from a friend to test tomorrow) but been thinking of getting a G23, ...

View Poll Results: Which glock?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 19

16 50.00%
  • Glock 23

16 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 23 with 9mm conversion or get a Glock 19?

I want to get a glock 19 (I think... I borrowed one from a friend to test tomorrow) but been thinking of getting a G23, because I will be using a G22 for work, so I can utilize the ammo and mags from the G22. However I like 9mm and that's why I want the Glock 19... I figured if I get a Glock 23, I can maybe get a lone wolf barrel to shoot 9mm when I want. I might convert from my previous off duty MP9c carry to the Glock 19/23 because of the same on/off duty weapon platform

my question is, how reliable is this conversion? and fwiw, they will be gen 4 glocks (I'm a lefty, so the lefty mag release is a big welcome for me)

also, both pistols fit me just fine (M&P and glock)

so it really comes down to trying to decide if I should get the G19 and stick with the caliber I prefer, or get a G23, so I can have a .40 and get a 9mm conversion barrel/recoil spring kit?

This isn't a caliber question, this is more geared towards reliability/accuracy for G23s with a lone wolf barrel, or just get a G19 and forego the .40 that the dept issues me

I'm going to refrain from voicing my opinion on yet another caliber issue. The G19 and the G23 are both glorious weapons as far as functionality, and you said you prefer 9mm. Sounds like an open and shut win for the 19.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    I'm going to refrain from voicing my opinion on yet another caliber issue. The G19 and the G23 are both glorious weapons as far as functionality, and you said you prefer 9mm. Sounds like an open and shut win for the 19.
    This isn't a caliber question. I already know 9 is a better caliber.

What I'm asking is if I should go with a G23 and use a conversion barrel (like having 2 calibers for one pistol) or they are known to have reliability/accuracy issues, and just get a G19 instead...

I will mostly use the 9mm barrel in the G23, but with dept ammo, it will be nice to have the .40 cal is where I'm going with this

I have an M&P .40 that I convert to 9mm with a factory 9mm barrel and factory 9mm magazines. Reliability is about 96% when converted with the barrel and I am very happy with the capability of practicing with 9mm and I am satisfied with the reliability for range practice, but the conversion is not reliable enough to consider it for self defense. The .40 breech face is too wide. The ejector is a little bit too far away to reliably (100%) eject spent casings, but it does the job... almost all of the time. Casings don't get kicked out of the gun very far. When casings aren't completely ejected, the malfunction is easily cleared by pulling the slide slightly rearward and letting the casing fall out of the slide.

I would think a Glock would work the same way. IF you can shoot .40 well and are more confident with carrying .40 for protection than 9mm, get the G23 and convert it to 9mm for the range. If you are more confident and better shooter with 9mm, get the G19.

Having a bunch of G22 magazines would be nice for the G23 but if you're just going to convert it to 9mm for practice, I don't see a real advantage. Glock magazines don't cost much compared to other makers, especially with all of the LE trade-in and Korean magazines on the market.

If you pick the G23, you shouldn't carry it when converted to 9mm. That's for the range only. If you desire, you could convert the G23 to .357 Sig. Reliability should be 100% since the breech face is the same as .40.

I see what you mean, and the only answer I can give you is that I've never used a conversion.
    I have HEARD, that something to do with the ejector being placed differently leads to more common FTEs when using a conversion, but that is by no means the gospel.

However, my opinion still stands, if you feel more comfortable with the 9mm (I agree), carry it; and since you will never use the firearm in question as a duty weapon, the capability to fire the .40 from work would seem irrelevant, unless your department allows you to use their ammo in your personal weapon.

For the purpose of SD, I am always leery of firing a cartridge from a pistol platform that was initially designed for another cartridge.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    Having a bunch of G22 magazines would be nice for the G23 but if you're just going to convert it to 9mm for practice, I don't see a real advantage. Glock magazines don't cost much compared to other makers, especially with all of the LE trade-in and Korean magazines on the market.

If you pick the G23, you shouldn't carry it when converted to 9mm. That's for the range only. If you desire, you could convert the G23 to .357 Sig. Reliability should be 100% since the breech face is the same as .40.
    This^^^ The words that escaped me.

Just buy a G19 and save up for a G23.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Yeah, I think it makes sense to get a G19, and I can always use the issue G22 for when I'm given ammo to shoot with.

Last time I shot my buddy's Glock 19, I was good with it. I'll see how it turns out tomorrow, and might end up with one to take home after... lol

all these decisions... sometimes I wish I could just buy anything I wanted.

I have a Glock 23 and I'm wanting to do the same thing as you. I prefer the capacity of 9mm but would love to have a choice between the 2 calibers so I went with the Glock23. If you want to switch between the 2 reliably then just replace the .40 extractor with a 9mm extractor in the slide(easy to do) and use 9mm mags and you should be close to 100% reliable...

VIP Member
    I have done all of these scenarios. I own G23's conversions and G19's. All are great, it's all about money honestly.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    Just buy a G19 and save up for a G23.
    This ...

I'm very *weary* of using any sort of modded/converted firearm if its comes to self defense/home defense. I prefer stock firearms (outside of sights or a light perhaps) just in case the prosecutor decides to prosecute me in a SD/HD situation because I had *modded* firearm to make it even *more deadly*

if that makes sense :)

I have a 23 that I shoot as 9mm quite a bit. For complete reliability I use, a kkm 9mm conversion barrel, 9mm mags, 9mm extractor, and a 9mm ejector. Without changing all those I would not trust it for self defense. It is 100% reliable when done like this.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I own a G22, G23 and a G27 and have 9mm conversion barrels for all three and have had no issues with any of them.
    No, one issue. My G27 will not cycle 115 gr winchester silvertips. It eats every other thing that I put in it.... just not those. The 22 and 23 handle anything just like clockwork.

The only changes that I make to the guns to shoot 9mm is the barrel and 9mm mags. The springs, extractor and ejector I have not touched and have had zero problems. (The factory recoil springs are the same for G26,27,33. Same for the 19,23,32 and same for the 17,22,31.) Here is a link.
    GLOCK RECOIL SPRINGS You do not have to change the springs to shoot 9mm.

I do not have any problems trusting my life with the 9mm conversions in my .40 cal Glocks
    I have the .357sig barrels also.

Here is a pic of my G23 with the .357sig barrel in it, the 9mm conversion on the left and the factory.40 that it came with on the right.
    Getting a G19 really isn't a bad idea, but the .40 cal Glocks and conversions work awesome for me and, again, I have and do trust my life to these.

Good luck on your decision!

Last edited by AZJD1968; September 1st, 2012 at 04:47 AM. Reason: spring info.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Thanks!

I looked on LW's website, and they seem to be out of the G23 >9mm barrels, which is a bummer. and looks like it won't be back for a little while....

well, i'm gonna hit up the range now and get a feel for the G19 and my M&P9... the winner stays.

I will be getting a gen 4 though, so I'm gonna need a 9mm spring, because 40 and 9 springs are diff in the gen 4.

For versatility, I would go with the 23 and conversion barrel(s). My only caveat is that if you intend to carry the weapon, I would go with the 19 and avoid the worry of the conversion barrel having a hiccup at the worst possible time.

I've used a LW 40 to 9 conversion on my 23 and it always ran fine and was very accurate. There are several other mfgs, but they are more expensive. Also be sure to check items for sale on this site, you might stumble into a good deal.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links