Home defense shotgun - Page 2

Home defense shotgun

This is a discussion on Home defense shotgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; all good recommendations. I've wondered about Benilli.... auto. But, in my time, autos always hung up and messed up on ejection, so I have this ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Home defense shotgun

all good recommendations.

I've wondered about Benilli.... auto. But, in my time, autos always hung up and messed up on ejection, so I have this engrained biased against auto shotguns. Is the Benilli reliable ?

Actually, I like the double barrel I have.... after that, I'm on the AR or the handgun... depending upon what the situation is. Honestly , one reason I like the double barrel, is that I can let both barrels go at the same time for good initial coverage.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Moderator
    You can get one of the Mossberg field home defense combos that comes with 2 barrels (28" and 18"). If you are worried about the recoil with your wife, you might want to go with a 20ga. But I'm betting that she can handle it if she wants too.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Unlike many other special editions guns, a lot of thought appears to have gone into this shotgun. It features a shortened stock with a 12.75" length of pull (LOP) for maneuverability in a self defense situation. It includes a tri-rail on the fore-end for mounting accessories. The barrel is Mossberg's 18.5" Stand Off (breaching) barrel.

The Firearm Blog » Mossberg 500 Thunder Ranch Shotgun
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Can you arrange to rent or borrow a 20 and 12 gauge? If so do that and have your wife shoot a desired home defense round with each.

I owned a 20 gauge for less than a month because I had my now ex fiancé in mind. She wasn't an avid shooter at that time and even she scoffed at the 20 after firing off some 00 buckshot in 12 gauge. lol

*edited for typos

I think the main difference in 20 vs 12 is maneuvering the gun around, a 20 is just easier. The spread of the pellets will probably be negligible in either case in a home. The recoil of buckshot loads in either will get your attention - equivalent to a 30-06. FTR, I'd rather have an AR anyway.

I have an older Winchester defender 12 gauge that I like a lot.
    ericb327 likes this.

My home defense shotgun is a Mossberg 500 Persuader, 18.5" barrel, 8-shot mag, pump-action, and I added a pistol-grip buttstock so it's easier to handle in close quarters. It looks like the Benelli above but only costs around $400 with the aftermarket stock.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I went for the Mossberg 500 Home Defense Tactical. It comes with a regular stock and a pistol grip that you can install if you choose. It's 6+1 with a 18.5" barrel with a heat shield. all this for under $300.00

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I went for the Mossberg 500 Home Defense Tactical. It comes with a regular stock and a pistol grip that you can install if you choose. It's 6+1 with a 18.5" barrel with a heat shield. all this for under $300.00
    And a Remington 870 for skeet, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    all good recommendations.

I've wondered about Benilli.... auto. But, in my time, autos always hung up and messed up on ejection, so I have this engrained biased against auto shotguns. Is the Benilli reliable ?

Actually, I like the double barrel I have.... after that, I'm on the AR or the handgun... depending upon what the situation is. Honestly , one reason I like the double barrel, is that I can let both barrels go at the same time for good initial coverage.
    The Benelli is highly reliable. As a Marine.
    http://http://www.benelliusa.com/sho...benelli-m4.php

Otherwise they wouldn't use a phrase, such as this, to describe it:
    Reliability -- When your life depends on it.

If you can find one, a Mossberg model 590 'Special Purpose' is a nice choice. Ghost ring sights with a speed feed stock for extra rounds...great HD shotgun.

I own two Mossberg 500 Field and Security Combos. I have left one of them in its original state with the 18.5” security barrel installed. The other I have customized for tactical home defense purposes using Mako Group furniture, Bushnell Tactical red dot sight (an ACOG clone) and a Streamlight strobe light. Fiocchi 12LE00BK low recoil 00 buckshot is my load of choice.

I would recommend the Mossberg 500 series, but I have one note of caution. It is undocumented on Mossberg’s website or literature, but Mossberg 500 series shotguns with wood furniture comes with a different action slide tube than those with polymer furniture. If you purchase a wood furnished Mossberg 500, like I did, you will have to purchase a replacement action slide tube from Mossberg, which took about a month and a half to come in. Unless you specifically want wood for whatever reason, by a polymer furnished Mossberg.

Additionally, I would not purchase one that has a barrel already pinned with some sort of custom muzzle. They only add length, and unless you need the breaching muzzle break for tactically breaching doors, you have no use for one.

Personally, I want to replace my Mossberg 500 with a Mossberg 590A1, specifically, the SKU # 51660. I would simply move all my Mako Group and custom equipment over to the new platform. I would like the MIL-SPEC trigger assembly and safety, and the extended capacity. Alternatively, I do like the style of the 590A1 Mariner (SKU # 51273). Only six shots, just like mine, but shiny!

Thanks everyone for the comments. I have on layaway (for a christmas present to me) a Remington 870 Tactical. How does the tactical choke pattern in relaition to it's other chokes? Or is is simply a full or extra full choke that looks "tactical"? Thanks again for the assit.

Mossberg 510 mini upgrade

Hi all
    I would like to know about upgrades to the mini mossberg 510 such as pistol grip stock. Will the mossberg 500's (12 gauge) pistol grip stocks work on this 510 model? Thanks in advance

No choke change, but the recoil is nothing, even with 00Buck. It's a lot of fun to shoot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links