Home defense shotgun

This is a discussion on Home defense shotgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all, Been a while since I posted. I'm in the market for a good home defense shotgun. I know nothing about shotguns other than ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Home defense shotgun

Home defense shotgun

Hello all,
    Been a while since I posted. I'm in the market for a good home defense shotgun. I know nothing about shotguns other than they are loud. I'm def looking for a pump action and something I can change chokes on. Any ideas? Thanks all.

2. Remove Ads

The primary choices are Remington and Mossberg for reliable pump guns. If you can afford the extra bucks, the law enforcement versions of each already come with good stuff like a higher-capacity mag tube and sometimes ghost ring sights, as well as better care and attention to quality in the manufacturing process.

For home defense, a short barrel (18-20") is a big advantage over the much longer lengths (26" or more) for maneuverability. You would also like to have greater capacity than just the 4+1 common to the sporting models. Metal finish need not be fancy, and actually shiny/reflective finish is not what you want. A white light is a good addition to a defensive shotgun but a good one with mount will run a couple hundred bucks or more.

Remember to set some money aside for ammo and training!
    pittypat21 and StormRhydr like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Not a lot more to be said. Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 all the stuff gasmitty said.
    Eagleks likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

The Mossberg 930SPX seems to be a good choice although I'm a fan of the pumps and always have been. Thing about semi autos is they mitigate recoil somewhat. Other than that, you can get reduced recoil loads from TDSUS for the 12ga. Rem 870 or Mossberg 500 are nice and easy. 2 3/4"-3" chambers improved or cylinder bore.....forget chokes IMO. I love the pattern out of my stock 870 18.5" barrel with #2 steel shot actually.

My wife bought herself a Mossberg 510 mini 20gauge. Shes a small woman and this shotgun was intended for children so it works. She added a Mossberg 500 Blackhawk pistol grip and consolable stock as well as a light and laser. The stock was intended for the 12 gauge so I had to do a very little dremelling to trim it but it fits and works flawlessly.

before

After

You'll see a lot of folks suggest the Remington 870 or the Mossberg 500. Take a look at the Maverick 88. It's made by Mossberg and is basically a Mossberg 500 with just a few minor differences. You can pick them up for around $215.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacklier24 View Post
    Hello all,
    Been a while since I posted. I'm in the market for a good home defense shotgun. I know nothing about shotguns other than they are loud. I'm def looking for a pump action and something I can change chokes on. Any ideas? Thanks all.
    Not a pump, but you can change chokes, and it holds eight shells and it's faster. Benelli M1:

Distinguished Member
    Ditto the Mossy 500 or Remington 870 - 18" barrel - no chokes - extended magazine

For HD, a good quality gun mounted light is an absolute must. If needed at night, identifying your target is not negotiable.

Federal LE132-1B #1 Buckshot is a good choice for shells if you can find it. Other manufacturers also offer various SD loads with reduced recoil / muzzle flash that are worth considering.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

You can get a rail that clamps on the forward of your magazine tube, or onto the barrel, to hold a light.
    Target identification is absolutely essential.
    Other advice previous given stands unaltered, to which I can add only a very small observation:
    PRACTICE with it, at ranges you'll find in the expected distances, become familiar enough with it that when the Huns are in the wire, you can engage without fumbling.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Not sure if the sale is over or not but Dunhams had the Stevens 320 pump on sale for 199 bucks. It is basically a Winchester 1300 clone. Came with ghost ring sights and pistol grip.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I like the Remington 870, 18" barrel w/ extended magazine. I put a sleeve on the buttstock that holds another half dozen rounds. It resides under my side of the bed.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster with a 20 inch rifle sight barrel that is my home defense shotgun. One thing it has that the "police or "tactical" models don't have is the stigma of being "tactical". It looks just like the gun you would use to go deer hunting or bird hunting because it is. In some areas, the media will make a "tactical", "police", or "home defense" gun appear more evil than the person that forced you to use it. Don't get me wrong the Remington 870P, Mossberg 500, or Mossberg 590 are great shotguns for the purpose but they tend to look like weapons of war. BTW I am a Mossberg 500/590 Armorer and for the money it would be difficult to beat them. Any model of the Remington will do the job. The Mossberg 500 or 590 will also do the job but will do it for less money. Less money on the gun means more money for ammo and practice.

Thanks folks.. the other thing I am considering is how my wife will be with it if I'm at work. She is not an avid shooter and I don't want her to be afraid to use it. I have heard some good things about both remington and mossberg. Does any one know anything about H and R? You all will laugh but Walmart had one for under 200 bucks the other day.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Remember your life may depend on your choice. You could check out the equivalent models in 20 guage. This will perform very well for home defense and your wife will have an easier time with it. If you do decide on a 12 guage then you may also want to check out the Knox stock. It reduces felt recoil considerably. Normaly I get a bit tender when firing 10 rounds of full load buckshot. With the Knox stock I can easily fire 25-30 rounds of the same ammo. Looking for the right setup is almost as good as finding it.

VIP Member
    Atctimmy is eyeballing a 930SPX. I've had a Mossy 500 for years but as I get older and wiser I'm leaning towards a semi.
    RichB70 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links