Visited a new shooting range and had a major failure

This is a discussion on Visited a new shooting range and had a major failure within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to check out a new shooting range that just opened up this weekend in my area. This new range is only about a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Visited a new shooting range and had a major failure

I went to check out a new shooting range that just opened up this weekend in my area. This new range is only about a ten minute drive from my house. The range I typically frequent is about a 35-40 minute drive from my house. This new range has eight 50 ft lanes for shooting, which is smaller then the normal one I visit. This new range is more expensive and charges by the hour. However, the convenience of only being ten minutes from my house may cause me to visit this new range more often. They also are open on Sundays which other indoor ranges in the area are not, which is a big plus. They also have a few rental guns and will do FFL transfers, though they do not sell guns.

I brought my Walther PPS .40 S&W with me and 50 rounds of ammo to see how much I would like this new range. After shooting 9 rounds the extractor popped off and caused a double feed due to the casing not being removed from the chamber. It appears the pin holding the extractor broke. After searching for a few minutes I was able to locate the extractor. Tomorrow I will be calling S&W to see about getting a shipping label to send it in for repair.

PPS.jpg

This is the second time that the extractor has come off while shooting this gun. I view this as a sign that I should start looking for a replacement for the PPS as my confidence in it is gone. I think this time I will go with a 9mm since that is what my main carry gun is (Glock 19) although I am open to suggestions to other calibers. I would like to avoid .40 S&W as I have never been able to shoot them that well. I would prefer something with a single stack, or maybe a J-Frame. My short list includes the Ruger LC9 or LCR, S&W Shield or generic S&W J-Frame, Berreta Nano, or a Sub Compact 9mm sig. I might also look into a slim .45 ACP such as the Glock 36 or XDs. Do you guys have any other suggestions on a single stack sub compact or J-frame? The previously mentioned are all that I could come up with at the top of my head.
    Last edited by beni; September 3rd, 2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Spelling

kel tec pf 9. mixed reviews. i have no experience.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Yikes, I'd agree. Time to part ways. The only 9mm I have is a full framed Taurus so I can't help you there. I have the LCP in .380 and it works flawlessly. But after looking at a spent .38 (after it went through a 4x4 and partially through another 2x4) I'm going to phase out the .380 caliber.

Good luck with your search. Let us know what you get.
    Jim

Take a look at the Kahr P9/CW9. Pretty flat and lightweight, 7+1.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Sounds like you got a lemon, happens to every brand. I would do the same thing you are doing, get rid of it and replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    kel tec pf 9. mixed reviews. i have no experience.
    Eh, I bought a PF9 a year or two ago, and I like the little gun but I've had very mixed results with it.

I've had more FTF than I'd like (even after a very detailed 'fluff and buff'), new shooters tend to limp wrist it and cause issues, and the extractor screw backed off causing FTE. No major failures, and it's not a bad gun to strap on under a t-shirt when mowing the lawn, but I usually just reach for something else.

I have fun bringing it to the range for new shooters to try, it helps convince them that they don't really want that ultralight subcompact 9mm they think will be comfortable to carry.

Think about a Glock 26 (interchangeable ammo, same manual of arms, etc.) and a Glock 36 (45 ACP).........

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I recently had two J-frames fail and I am now summer EDCing (maybe new all around EDCing) a Ruger LCR in .38 special and couldn't be happier. It has a better trigger than the Smith and is lighter. It also has a changeable front sight. On the downside the grips are a bit on the large side but I can live with that. If you decide to go the wheel gun route I highly suggest the LCR. If you decide to go with a auto and size is the deciding factor I would look at the Kahr CM/PM9 series.
    RichB70 likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have a couple of 9's.

LC9 Ruger - DAO, long trigger pull
    P938 Sig - SAO, sweet trigger, EDC.

sent from ...

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    +1 on the Glock 26. +100 on any Glock.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Lead Moderator
    Well that sucks. Did you send the pistol back to S&W for the previous extractor issue?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I would suggest an LC9 if you can get past the stacking at the end of the long trigger pull. If you are willing to go slightly bigger I absolutely love my KelTec P-11. Still a long DAO trigger pull but its smoother than the LC9 trigger with no stacking and a clean break at the end, and unlike the LC9 it is second strike capable in case you get a hard primer, although I have yet to have that happen to me...makes dry-fire practice a lot easier, not having to reset the hammer every time.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Well that sucks. Did you send the pistol back to S&W for the previous extractor issue?
    The first time I did not send it back to S&W as the gunsmith at the shop I was at was able to fix it.

There's the M&P Shield 9mm single stack
    Bersa BP9cc 9mm single stack
    Taurus PT709 9mm single stack

I have the 709 and mine has been awesome. 2200 flawless rounds. A buddy of mine just bought the BP9cc and if I were in the market for one that's what I'd get. Great gun!!! I have not shot a Shield yet, bu good reviews.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I don't think the Glock 26 is significantly easier to carry than the 19, especially if you use a grip extension to make it easier to shoot. Many people prefer an extension, some hold an extra round or two, but it makes the grip about the same as a 19. If I was in the market for a small 9, it would be a PF9 or a LC9 in that order. I have seen plenty of good, reliable examples of those guns. When I was working in a range that did rentals and never maintained the guns, the PF9 held up to serious abuse.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links