Got hot brass down my goggles

This is a discussion on Got hot brass down my goggles within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Had this happen, and burned my eyelid. Never thought of wearing a cap. Good idea....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Got hot brass down my goggles

VIP Member
    Had this happen, and burned my
    eyelid. Never thought of wearing a
    cap.

Good idea.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

If you shoot very much at all, you're going to have plenty of unexpected things happen. There is a cure for the G19 6 o'clock brass ordeal however.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Had this happen, and burned my
    eyelid. Never thought of wearing a
    cap.

Good idea.
    Oh and use a real baseball type cap, don't use on of those visor things that is just a brim and strap around the back, won't work and don't bother asking how I know.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Yeah, scalding heat behind the glasses can be an eye opener.

I learned the ballcap method a long time ago. Thankfully, I've only rarely got zapped without the cap. Having one on isn't foolproof, but it sure helps.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    You youngn's and your fancy semi-auter-matics. I've never had brass eject into my face with my Smith and Wesson 686, 60, 640 or 642!

(Seriously, I've had some 9mm brass make it into my collar. I try not to dance as I'm usually holding a loaded weapon. Getting in between the eyeglasses would make one wiggle...)

That sucks. Today at the range my GF had a piece of brass bounce off the divider while shooting my M&P that landed on her right between her neck and shoulder (wearing a more opened up top than I recommended...I always emphasize proper attire when hot brass will be involved) couldn't have been on her for more than half a second and left a nice deep red mark on her. After I was sure she was ok we laughed about it. She told me that was why she likes shooting her revolvers more than my semi-autos.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I am not sure how many mistakes I made today, but this was not one of the more pleasant ones.

testing out my new Glock 19. The gun spits back brass into my face. (Need to call Glock on that one.) One of hot cartridges went down between my goggles and my face. Fortunately it landed below my eye on my cheek bone. But dang it was hot. Then I realized I was not wearing my cap. Not sure how I forgot that, but that is not a mistake I will make again. I will attest that brass can get behind your goggles and it will not be pleasant.
    Hat with brim. Safety glasses. Turtle neck shirt or shirt with collar buttoned.

Please do not ask me how I know these things.
    ExactlyMyPoint likes this.

Glad it wasn't worse!

I had a retarded friend that thought it would be funny to shoot my .40 xDM like a gangster sideways while not wearing any protection while saying some gangster words.
    Shooting a whole clip, he perfected catching a bullet in his mouth magic trick even though it wasn't a bullet it was hot brass. He never did that again and always wore glasses since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a common problem with the new production glocks. Do some research and there are some ways to fix it.I had a cool 9mm brass shaped scar on my arm for a couple years. I must admit I'm bummed it faded away lol

It happens with my Gen 2 G21 occasionally. Don't wear glasses. Never been burnt. It bounces off and doesn't contact long enough to burn.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

They make those mesh nets to catch all your brass. Especially if your a reloaded. Hell I have a friend that reloads .22. Why on earth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeHasAGun View Post
    It happens with my Gen 2 G21 occasionally. Don't wear glasses. Never been burnt. It bounces off and doesn't contact long enough to burn.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Give it time, you'll get one lodged somewhere and get a nice burn. You really should wear glasses, just look up some youtube videos if you need some insperation.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links