Got hot brass down my goggles

This is a discussion on Got hot brass down my goggles within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am not sure how many mistakes I made today, but this was not one of the more pleasant ones. Testing out my new Glock ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Got hot brass down my goggles

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Got hot brass down my goggles

I am not sure how many mistakes I made today, but this was not one of the more pleasant ones.

testing out my new Glock 19. The gun spits back brass into my face. (Need to call Glock on that one.) One of hot cartridges went down between my goggles and my face. Fortunately it landed below my eye on my cheek bone. But dang it was hot. Then I realized I was not wearing my cap. Not sure how I forgot that, but that is not a mistake I will make again. I will attest that brass can get behind your goggles and it will not be pleasant.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I am not sure how many mistakes I made today, but this was not one of the more pleasant ones.

testing out my new Glock 19. The gun spits back brass into my face. (Need to call Glock on that one.) One of hot cartridges went down between my goggles and my face. Fortunately it landed below my eye on my cheek bone. But dang it was hot. Then I realized I was not wearing my cap. Not sure how I forgot that, but that is not a mistake I will make again. I will attest that brass can get behind your goggles and it will not be pleasant.
    Doh. Glad that's all that happened.

Lead Moderator
    Saw that happen to a buddy once. Not fun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Ive only had that happen with a .22 and I quickly learned why they reccomend wearing a cap for PPE. The idea never occured to me before then. Glad it missed your eye.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Was it an indoor range? Brass likes to bounce off the walls. It might not be the Glock. My wife learned that lesson a while back. Almost identical scenario. She did not want to wear a hat, had brass bounce off the right partition, hit her in the forehead and rolled down behind her glasses. Luckily she put the gun on the table before doing the "hot brass dance."
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member
    Had it happen to me with saftey glasses AND a hat. It was at an indoor range, bounced of a wall. For all the fun shooting is, I can take some hot brass every once in a while.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

if it wasn't dangerous, all the liberals would be doing it. Man-up......its a tough job but someone has to do it.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Had a hot one go inside the cuff of my sneakers once (no socks). Talk about a hot foot!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I shoot left handed and o e morning I was doing weapons qual with my platoon. We were qualing with the M4 and had the shooter to my left hot brass land on the back of my neck and roll down my vest. Talk about muzzle awareness. I wanted to stop drop and roll but the only thing I could do was carefully lower my rifle and back off the line. Needless to so it burnt the heck outta me and now I only shoot next to another lefty.

Senior Moderator
    Had that happen to me with a Berretta 92, I now wear a hat most of the time when I'm shooting.

I have never had that problem with a revolver of any make or caliber
    swiftyjuan likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Ive had one go down the front of my shirt and singe my nipple...wasnt fun. Never had burnt nipples before.
    Ghettokracker71 likes this.

You either have the scar or you will. Glad you're Ok. I wear a cap all the time and I've still taken a hot one behind the glasses on a bad bounce. I've taken them down the shirt and daughter learned the hard way to wear socks at the range (she had a nice scar on her ankle of which she is proud).
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Had it happen to me with saftey glasses AND a hat. It was at an indoor range, bounced of a wall. For all the fun shooting is, I can take some hot brass every once in a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    You either have the scar or you will. Glad you're Ok. I wear a cap all the time and I've still taken a hot one behind the glasses on a bad bounce.
    Yup, to both.

I took one that sneaked-in between the bill of my ballcap and the top of my glasses' (Bolle Vigilante, with prescription insert) frame - not a bouncer: caught it in-flight from my immediate-left line-mate. Still finished the string with all shots in the designated hit-zone...although not quite as accurate as I wanted to be.

I had one recently go in my shirt and get caught in my cleavage! Yup, I was dancing! And had some explaining to do when hubby got home, he wasn't buying the burned by hot brass story at first...
    BurgerBoy likes this.

While shooting for my CCW one of my brass cases landed in a ladies shirt between, well you know, and she started dancing around like a crazy person. Scared me at first, but we all had a good laugh about it later. I felt obligated to get it out as I put it in there!
    BurgerBoy and swiftyjuan like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links