The 2012 Dove Season Thread

This is a discussion on The 2012 Dove Season Thread within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Any dove hunters here? Perhaps there are enough to support a thread on the topic. Any who participate could let us hear about your hunts ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: The 2012 Dove Season Thread

Any dove hunters here? Perhaps there are enough to support a thread on the topic. Any who participate could let us hear about your hunts and your bags here. Took a few photos so I could share them with our son who is currently deployed in the USMC but thought to stick some of them up here too.

I didn't get to go out Saturday which was opening day in Texas, or Sunday either but did get out this evening for a Labor Day shoot. It was 101F here but breezy to 20mph. For the past few years I've been hunting dove a good deal on a friend's ranch on the juncture of Panther Creek and the Colorado River here in west central Texas.

He has a small lake on his place but several years drought has reduced it to the size of a small stock tank. We hunted down in what would have been the lake in normal years.

I normally carry a Winchester Model 12 Skeet Grade 12 gauge pump shotgun with a skeet choke, occasionally a Remington Model 11 12 gauge with a modified choke, and scarcely ever any other shotgun. Today though, a Remington Model 870 Wingmaster 20 gauge with screw-in chokes was easier to get out of the safe quickly when I was gathering up in a hurry to go this afternoon after doing chores around the house all day. I don't often carry the 20 gauge and when I do I avoid the 3-inch shells, preferring the light 2 3/4-inch loadings. Today saw 7/8 oz. loads using both No.7 1/2 or No. 8 shot. Since I thought we were going to sit around his remnant of a lake I left the skeet choke in the shotgun.

The lake was so very low that I ended up sitting about a hundred yards upstream from the water in the dried lake bed among some old stobs of trees that had been flooded years ago. These made for some interesting shooting. On an occasion I swung on a bird darting through the old dead trees and pulled the trigger, seeing a stob explode into a shower of splinters, the bird beyond still catching enough pellets to come crashing down. Later in the afternoon another stob jumped out in the way and got clobbered for its trouble but this time the bird didn't fall.

The first two shots of the season for me were fired at a pair which came over angling toward me. Was tickled that a deliberate couple of shots brought them down to fall very close to each other. Took a photo as I walked up on them.

Here are the stobs that bedeviled me to my right. Stobs were right of my position and in front. It was clear to my left. I had backed up in the shade of a small bit of mesquite scrub opposite the late afternoon sun. Between the mesquite, the stobs, and the sun, it seemed that the birds riding the 20 mph breeze past me didn't notice a thing if I was still. No flaring was detected. The little 20 gauge initially made me feel invincible inside of 35 yards but, before the the sun sank into the western horizon, I was well humbled both outside my 35 yard optimum zone and inside as well. It's always some of the easiest shots that seem to float on by unscathed.

Ended up with eleven birds for the evening's take. Might have done better with a little more gun and a little more choke. Might not have though. My rancher friend took eleven as well. The empty shotgun shells weren't tallied. A great time was had along with some barbeque brisket for supper after the hunt. We only now got in and got everything cleaned and stowed away.

It would be nice to hear some more dove hunting stories from opening weekend. Some states may not open on September 1st as we do here in Texas.
    OD*, gasmitty and Rock and Glock like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Atctimmy will now go on record and say that I can't hit a bird on the wing to save my life. I burn BOXES of shells trying to hit ducks. I gave up on doves long ago.

I don't know what it is. I can tumble a running rabbit with ease but I miss waaaay too much when I'm shooting birds.

I went out Sat afternoon. I got to the field about 2 pm. It was pretty well staked out for the better spots. So I crossed the field and set up on the tree line just below where a cut path comes into the field. My first 5 shots brought down 4 birds. It started slow for birds though. We had some rain move in later and things really picked up in front of the storm. Rain moved in and I went to my truck. I had lightning hit so close that I heard static in my electronic ear muffs. Not a good sign so I got in the truck. Laid around for about 45 minutes. When the rain slacked off the birds picked back up. I missed a lot more after the rain. And I had a guy beside me that could not seem to miss. Had a full rainbow out on the ridge East of the field. That was pretty cool. I managed to finish off with a dozen birds. I also introduced our new put to dove hunting. Australian Cattle Dogs don't make good retrievers, but he was good company. I wouldn't mind getting out again but archery season for deer comes in Sat. I'll probably be headed for a treestand instead of a field.

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Well my shooting buddy paid a farmer to hunt some sunflowers he had planted about 1/4 mile north of the Mexico border,at least this year we weren't sitting right by the Rio Grande River,since I fractured my neck 10 years ago I had to learn to shoot left handed due to partial paralysis of my right hand fingers,I shot about 2 boxes of shells and knocked down 5 birds,but I scared a whole bunch,in fact I must of shot so close to one headed right at me it looked like he did one of the flips swimmers do when they change directions in the pool,my buddy saw it and said he never seen a dove pull a stunt like that before
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I haven't been dove hunting in a long time, this brought back a lot of memories. When my grandkids get a little older I think I'll set up a legally baited field for them to hunt.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Last dove hunt I did was last year in a stand of about 100acres of mowed and disked sunflower we did good. Ended up killing just over 100 birds with about 10 people out there. I used a Benelli cordoba w/ modified choke. Forget what shells I had that day but they were probably 7or8s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Ours does not open for about another month

Got to go out Sunday evening. We are 30 miles west of Lubbock. Went with a farmer friend and his 11 year old son. We had a great time and the son beat us both. I had my 1100 full choke and my friend had his A-5 both 12's. The kid had his S&W 20ga. and ended up with 11 birds. We each had four. Saw lots of birds and missed a lot, but had a great time and any time you can make a 11 year olds day its all good. Stay safe in the field and keep posting hunting stories. I really like first hand accounts from real people,not the canned hunts you see on TV.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Senior Moderator
    Our season starts today, I'm hoping to take my 5 year old with me on Saturday if the rain holds off
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Tennessee season opened Saturday. Not a lot of birds shot though, it was a very wet rainy opening day.

Ours opened this past weekend as well (Phoenix) got our limits pretty early both mornings. I could not go out on monday but the guys went to the same field and limited again in no time. Will be trying my luck again this saturday. Gonna bring my kids to bird dog and get ready for next year.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I haven't shot at doves for years (or much else for that matter), but surprisingly I could hit those zigzagging little devils much better than larger, slower pheasants. It'd be great to go on a dove hunt again.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

North and Central zones opened this past Saturday in Texas, South zone has a couple more weeks to go.

Uh, do you eat them?

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Uh, do you eat them?
    Yea dove breast is A pretty good eat. You only eat the breast though
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links