Paper targets vs. Paper plates

This is a discussion on Paper targets vs. Paper plates within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I experimented this last trip to the range with printing out some paper targets . I am trying to figure out the cost-benefit ratio here. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Paper targets vs. Paper plates

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I experimented this last trip to the range with printing out some paper targets. I am trying to figure out the cost-benefit ratio here.

Paper targets:
    Paper = 0.01/sheet
    toner = ?
    staples

Paper plates
    Plate = 0.02/plate
    Marker = ?
    staples

I shot both 24 pound and 20 pound paper. Didn't seem to make a bit of difference in how they performed. The 20 pound is cheaper. Plus with the printable target all symmetrical, it seems this is the better way to go.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member
    I go to the range with a stack of printer paper, roll of masking tape, and roll of orange duct tape. Put a little 2"x2'" sqaure of orange duct tape on the sheet, hang it up with peice of masking tape and blast away.

Pretty dang cheap. I go through alot of paper too, I only take 5 shots at each target - I love knowing where each shot went. I have started putting two peices of orange tape spaced apart on each sheet, and putting about three sheets of paper up each time - end up with about 6 targets that way.

Knowing what each shot is doing has really helped me figure alot of things out and how to correct them.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I experimented this last trip to the range with printing out some paper targets. I am trying to figure out the cost-benefit ratio here.

Paper targets:
    Paper = 0.01/sheet
    toner = ?
    staples

Paper plates
    Plate = 0.02/plate
    Marker = ?
    staples

I shot both 24 pound and 20 pound paper. Didn't seem to make a bit of difference in how they performed. The 20 pound is cheaper. Plus with the printable target all symmetrical, it seems this is the better way to go.
    Who's printer are you using? Are the paper plates new or have they been used? How much electricty does the printer use? Can you recycle the toner cartridges? Is the printed paper less bio-degradable than the paper plates? Is the printer, toner, or paper plates made in the USA? Which handles a slight breeze better?

Sorry someone had to ask the tough questions.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Costco 6 inch paper plates, 11.43 per 1,000
    marcclarke likes this.

If I print anything and I don't want to keep or use what I printed it gets put in a pile to use on the other side. I then use my printer to print my own targets on 8.5" X 11" paper. Lay the paper on your chest and it's the right chest size I want to be able to hit with my concealed P229.

I am printing targets on the discarded 'rip 'n' run' computer dispatch printouts from the firehouse, so basically paying for toner. We print three or four sheets when we now only need one or two,so rather than waste them, I flip and print the backside. Was kicking the paper plate idea around too.

A guy i shoot with uses blank or scrap sheets on 8.5x11 paper and a bottle of edge dressing (for shoes, remember?). He presses a few circles onto the paper and shoots away, gotta admit I like the idea.
    Molon Labe

I use plates or old blueprints from work.
    The part that really keeps costs low though is I ordered a "bullseye" rubber stamp from the scrapbook section of eBay.

I get thousands and thousands of targets per ink pad and best of all they're nice and uniform be it for handguns at 25 or rifles @ 300

uploadfromtaptalk1346784482366.jpg
    miller_man likes this.

Print them at work and then use the color copier. All is free.
    ws76133 and tricolordad like this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

i staple up whatever paper trash is on the floorboards of my car. no lie. as long as it is no larger than center mass it works for me. plus my range has actual paper targets for free. i do one of those at the end of the day to check my groups.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

I dont know what everybody else is shooting, but ive been pounding away at an old toaster, microwave and some old liscense plates in my backyard. Coffee cups are fun too.

I use 3" x 3" Post-it notes. Take one off, put another on. Self adhesive. Very inexpensive.
    OldVet, RKflorida and jumpwing like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post

Paper targets:
    Paper = 0.01/sheet
    toner = ?
    staples

Paper plates
    Plate = 0.02/plate
    Marker = ?
    staples

I've been shooting paper plates for years......used paper plates (back side toward shooter since they have stuff on the eat side). Hey....I'm single so paper plates are good just like the microwave and George Foreman grill. Pizza box tops also work well. I use a magic marker and old CDs sometimes to make circles, but 9" paper plates at 50yds are good enough for pistol. I also use the cardboard bottoms out of the cases of drinking water which actually have imprinted circles on them. No need to waste printer ink or paper. I recycle. If you need more info, or pics, or how-to DIY.....just ask. I've posted before on using your trash for targets.
    Spend that money on ammo.

miller_man and beararms like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I use 3" x 3" Post-it notes. Take one off, put another on. Self adhesive. Very inexpensive.
    At 150 yds for handgun, right?
    bigmacque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    At 150 yds for handgun, right?
    25 yards and in...and they're getting more difficult to see at 25 yards with each trip to the range. With .22, I started taking my little binoculars to see the groups at 25 yards. I much prefer to shoot outside with reactive targets, like steel plates or old empty prescription bottles filled with flour. When I lived in VA and shot outside all the time, it took my wife 2 years to figure out what was happening to all of her flour. If it hadn't been for my daughter ratting me out (9 at the time), she would have never figured it out!!! I thought it was hilarious hearing her go on and on about what could be happening to her flour. I suggested weavels.
    beararms, ws76133 and RKflorida like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links