Defensive Carry banner

Paper targets vs. Paper plates

8K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  SFury 
#1 ·
I experimented this last trip to the range with printing out some paper targets. I am trying to figure out the cost-benefit ratio here.

Paper targets:
Paper = 0.01/sheet
toner = ?
staples

Paper plates
Plate = 0.02/plate
Marker = ?
staples

I shot both 24 pound and 20 pound paper. Didn't seem to make a bit of difference in how they performed. The 20 pound is cheaper. Plus with the printable target all symmetrical, it seems this is the better way to go.

#2 ·
I go to the range with a stack of printer paper, roll of masking tape, and roll of orange duct tape. Put a little 2"x2'" sqaure of orange duct tape on the sheet, hang it up with peice of masking tape and blast away.

Pretty dang cheap. I go through alot of paper too, I only take 5 shots at each target - I love knowing where each shot went. I have started putting two peices of orange tape spaced apart on each sheet, and putting about three sheets of paper up each time - end up with about 6 targets that way.

Knowing what each shot is doing has really helped me figure alot of things out and how to correct them.

#3 ·
Who's printer are you using? Are the paper plates new or have they been used? How much electricty does the printer use? Can you recycle the toner cartridges? Is the printed paper less bio-degradable than the paper plates? Is the printer, toner, or paper plates made in the USA? Which handles a slight breeze better?

Sorry someone had to ask the tough questions.

#5 ·
If I print anything and I don't want to keep or use what I printed it gets put in a pile to use on the other side. I then use my printer to print my own targets on 8.5" X 11" paper. Lay the paper on your chest and it's the right chest size I want to be able to hit with my concealed P229.

#6 ·
I am printing targets on the discarded 'rip 'n' run' computer dispatch printouts from the firehouse, so basically paying for toner. We print three or four sheets when we now only need one or two,so rather than waste them, I flip and print the backside. Was kicking the paper plate idea around too.

#11 ·
I dont know what everybody else is shooting, but ive been pounding away at an old toaster, microwave and some old liscense plates in my backyard. Coffee cups are fun too.

#13 ·
I've been shooting paper plates for years......used paper plates (back side toward shooter since they have stuff on the eat side). Hey....I'm single so paper plates are good just like the microwave and George Foreman grill. Pizza box tops also work well. I use a magic marker and old CDs sometimes to make circles, but 9" paper plates at 50yds are good enough for pistol. I also use the cardboard bottoms out of the cases of drinking water which actually have imprinted circles on them. No need to waste printer ink or paper. I recycle. If you need more info, or pics, or how-to DIY.....just ask. I've posted before on using your trash for targets.
Spend that money on ammo.

#17 ·
She did not find the humor in my saying, "Well it sure as heck isn't going into making biscuits and gravy, I can tell you that much!!!"

Of course, she patted my stomach and said, "Well, this sure as heck isn't getting here by itself now is it?"

#18 ·
I like paper plates since you can hang them from a clip and they don't fold up like printer paper. A clothes pin on a string and a paper plate makes a good variable target.

#22 ·
I use whatever I have available; cardboard, paper plates, clay pigeons, exc exc. It's the markers and staples that's really adding up, I mean, it must be costing me close to .45 cents per shooting session to draw bulls-eyes and staple the cardboard to my mounts.

Edit: I may even have to start reloading my own markers. I can shave .30 cents off per marker if I pick up my spent casings and buy my own ink cartridges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.