CMP M1 Shopping

CMP M1 Shopping

This is a discussion on CMP M1 Shopping within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I've got the M1 bug now and the best option seems to be a service grade rifle from the CMP. Would it be worth ...

Thread: CMP M1 Shopping

CMP M1 Shopping

So I've got the M1 bug now and the best option seems to be a service grade rifle from the CMP.

Would it be worth the six hour drive to Camp Perry to hand pick one, or can I trust that I'd get a decent one sent to me?

VIP Member
    Since I was making a trip to Texas I stopped at the Anniston, Al store and picked out the ones I wanted. One thing I did notice at the store there were rifles available that were not on their website, these included 30-40 Krags some Springfields and carbines. Just be advised if you do make the trip once you walk into the store you will just stare in disbelief in seeing so many M-1s just sitting waiting to be purchased.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    I use to live 30 minutes North of the Anniston Alabama store, that's why I have 5 M1 carbines
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Sponsor
    Right now, it's probably not worth the drive. They're only putting out a handful of service grades each day and from all the SGs I've seen people receiving in the mail you'll probably be happier ordering one.

If you looking for something specific or just want to make the drive for fun, it of course will be more than worth your time, but if you just want a nice SG, mail order it.

If you do go, get there a half hour before they open so you can get first dibs. If you're not early there's no guarantee you'll find what you want.

Check the CMP forum to see what the stocking is like in the past two weeks.
    Also known as CTD Chris

America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter
    http://www.CheaperThanDirt.com

I've looked at those as well - Very jealous right now!!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

PB2
    Living in New Mexico it's too far for me to drive for that purpose alone, so I ordered one. It arrived 9 days ago. WOW!!!!!! VERY nice rifle. The serial number tells me it was manufactured in 1955 but it looks brand new. Once I cleaned out all the Cosmoline I took it to the range and it shot just like it looks. From my experience I can't think of any reason why mail order from the CMP would be a bad thing.

In addition to the rifle I also ordered 200 round of Greek .30-'06 ammo. It arrived the same day as the rifle.

I ordered a couple from CMP back in May. They both arrived with brand new CMP furniture. One was an HRA that looked like it had seen very little use. The other was a SA from 1943 that had a lot of the finish worn off the receiver, and the rear sight was spot on at 25 yards out of the box. That was fortunate, since the sight will not adjust at all. Aside from that, I have no problems with either one. They both shoot quite well and I am very happy. Personally I would love to walk into one of the CMP stores, but I don't think you'll regret it if you order one. I certainly don't regret my purchases.

Thanks for the replies. I have an extremely long winter break from school, so I think I'll take a weekend and drive up there with my dad in December and do some things in Cleveland. Maybe then I can get it as an early Christmas gift.

From all of my reading, it looks like a Service grade HRA is the way to go if you want a good looking shooter.

To say I am excited is an understatement. I love all of my firearms, but I love historical military rifles just a bit more.

Links