Chicago Trauma

Chicago Trauma

This is a discussion on Chicago Trauma within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's a new show on TV,I was watching it last night when they brought in several Gunshot and Kinifing victims,one guy was brought in by ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By phreddy

Thread: Chicago Trauma

Chicago Trauma

It's a new show on TV,I was watching it last night when they brought in several Gunshot and Kinifing victims,one guy was brought in by family members with a stab wound to the leg,he was DOA,his femoral artery had been severed,they cut him open to massage his heart and found that he had bled completely out,they got blood on board and got his heart started,end result he lived but suffered some brain injury from lack of oxygen.
    The story that blew me away was gunshot victim they brought in ,he is bleeding bad,no pulse,they try resuscitating and they open his chest to manually massage his heart,once the chest is open the Trauma Doc says everybody stop what your doing he has an unsurvivable wound.The way he explained it I'm thinking the round entered the heart and the way ballistic gel reacts when a bullet penetrates is the way he basically described it but it caused the fluid to expand and with nowhere to go it exploded the bottom of the heart,they showed it up close.
    I was kinda impressed that they didn't pull any punches,and the show is pretty graphic but educational.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Kinetic energy!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Unfortunately, with the conditions in Chicago they will have plenty of material for shows.
    joker1 and NMB like this.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Didn't there used to be a show called Chicago Hope? So is this new show what happens when all the hope goes to into the dumper? Sure is a lot of trauma going on in Chicago now.

I saw the title of the thread and thought "here we go, another political discussion."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I saw the title of the thread and thought "here we go, another political discussion."
    LOL Nope,But they did say there have been more people killed in Chicago than in Afghanistan so far this year.
    It caught my attention because a lot of Doctors that want to become Trauma Surgeons do their residency there just because they have just about every kind of injury you can think of come thru the doors pretty regular.
    There was one guy had a bullet wound high up on right rear shoulder,He said something and the Doctor made the comment getting shot isn't a way to prove your manhood
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    LOL Nope,But they did say there have been more people killed in Chicago than in Afghanistan so far this year.
    It caught my attention because a lot of Doctors that want to become Trauma Surgeons do their residency there just because they have just about every kind of injury you can think of come thru the doors pretty regular.
    There was one guy had a bullet wound high up on right rear shoulder,He said something and the Doctor made the comment getting shot isn't a way to prove your manhood
    People or Americans?
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

The story that blew me away was gunshot victim they brought in ,he is bleeding bad,no pulse,they try resuscitating and they open his chest to manually massage his heart,once the chest is open the Trauma Doc says everybody stop what your doing he has an unsurvivable wound.The way he explained it I'm thinking the round entered the heart and the way ballistic gel reacts when a bullet penetrates is the way he basically described it but it caused the fluid to expand and with nowhere to go it exploded the bottom of the heart,they showed it up close.
    Is that the "hydrostatic shock" that I've heard about?
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Saw an episode of ER where a Brit guy training to be a trauma surgeon wanted a lot of practice so he left England and got an internship in the ER at Newark NJ. Good call.

Thanks for the info...got it programmed for the next showing.

Boy I miss the trauma ER stuff. I have been on a few chest crackings. I remember one 16 year old boy who came in shot in the chest. We didn't know with what. All we knew is he had a small hole just to the right of his sternum. He was taking his last breath as I grabbed him out of a truck. His heart rate was 34 when we got him in the trauma room. Yep- he was circling the drain as we say. To say it was tense was an understatement. We cracked his chest right there in the ER and I will never forget the sound of the framing nail hitting the aluminum mayo stand after being pulled out of his heart. The guy lived and got a gore tex graft to his left ventricle. I went and saw him 3 days later. The last thing he remembers is he was reaching out to get a nail gun that was being handed to him. As I understand he kept getting herniations on his left ventricle and was put on the transplant list.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    People or Americans?
    They said People,I'm willing to bet they meant Americans

Links