A little bittersweet, but all in all good

This is a discussion on A little bittersweet, but all in all good within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm a little disappointed right at the moment. I bought a 'NIB' Ruger SR1911 yesterday, from a local GS that I've been in before but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: A little bittersweet, but all in all good

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar

A little bittersweet, but all in all good

I'm a little disappointed right at the moment. I bought a 'NIB' Ruger SR1911 yesterday, from a local GS that I've been in before but have not done a lot of business with. He's about a half hour away, and not really on my route to anywhere, but I called and he had this and I've been looking for one so thought I'd go take a look.

While handling it I noticed it looked like it might be a little dirty, but frankly it didn't look like it had any more than factory dirt on it. The guy sold it to me as new and I'm not disappointed with the price, but .... this morning, doing the initial before I get to shoot it cleaning, I opened this thing up and it looks like it had spent a whole day at the range. It was not just a little dirty, it was truly fired and not cleaned. I'm not just a little disappointed; when I buy a 'NIB' I guess I expect it to be NIB.

On the other hand, this being my first experience with a true 1911, I was more than pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to take down, clean and reassemble. You hear stories, but truthfully this was not a difficult process at all.

So, pictures to follow, I know you all are chomping at the bit to see it, and a range report after Saturday morning.

As for the gun shop, what do you think?
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

2. Remove Ads

Somebody sells you something as New, In The Box... That's what you should get.

Glad you're happy otherwise... but I would have inspected it there if there were any doubt at all.

Since it's out of your way, call and ask about it... see if he wants to do anything about it.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

VIP Member
    I always tear a potential keeper down right there at the counter before I buy it, no exceptions.
    ericb327 and CIBMike like this.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

I've not had a lot of luck with doing a tear down at the counter, and with the 1911 you'd need to have the ability to remove the barrel bushing. I really didn't think anything of the little bit I could see on inspection, it was inside the works that was a mess. Not sure if I believe they purposely reached in and wiped it down to make it look good, but I am feeling just a little bit off by this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    I opened this thing up and it looks like it had spent a whole day at the range. It was not just a little dirty, it was truly fired and not cleaned. I'm not just a little disappointed; when I buy a 'NIB' I guess I expect it to be NIB.
    I'd be agitated about that too, it's likely I'd picked up the phone and informed the guy about what I discovered. Ask him where did he get the gun? Was it from one of his distributors, or did some other guy come in there and sell him what he thought was a NIB gun.

Sometimes these things can snowball into more trouble than it's worth, your call, and you just have to weigh what's important to you and how much effort you want to put in it.

Ultimately I think the gun store guy ought to know what you found.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Oh I will definitely call the guy this morning. I brought it home last night and didn't even open the box again until this morning when I started to clean it, that's when I found the gunk. I'll call him this morning after he's open for business.

VIP Member
    Good plan, it'll be interesting to see what reaction he has and how he handles it. I have a little saying, "just about anyone can be a decent manager, but the real test is how the manager operates with pressure".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    As for the gun shop, what do you think?
    If purchased NIB by the shop from a distributor, then it was clear material misrepresentation.

If purchased by the shop from a prior owner, then it was pie-in-sky hopeful marketing spin that you'd not notice things were amiss until after they had the money in hand. Possibly, it wasn't known. But I really doubt it.

Either way, it seems that you were misled.

Still, as you know, a new firearm really needs to be gone through and cleaned/lubed before it's shot anyway. It's a good way to get familiar, to ensure it functions smoothly, and to ensure there are no obstructions that would be dangerous. As well, it's to confirm things as you did: that you got what you paid for, and that there were no (apparently) deliberate misrepresentations made.

Enjoy the gun. Hopefully it'll measure up to all your expectations.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

There is definitely a price difference in NIB or "used",anybody thats been in the gun business can tell if a gun was test fired at the factory,or had a box of ammo run thru it at the range.If the guy doesn't want to make it right then he wouldn't get any more business from me,plus I'd let everybody I know what kinda deal I got from him
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Well the LGS owner says no, they didn't fire it and he suggested I call Ruger. Ruger said they fire every weapon before it leaves, but clean them before they ship them. I honestly believe the LGS, I think it's just possible that Ruger didn't really clean this particular one all that well. But the amount of crud I took out of it still seems like a substantial amount for a new gun.

Either way .... I'm satisfied, I can let things like this go. And for the enthusiasts amongst us:

ruger2.jpg

VIP Member
    Thanks for the follow-up. If you're happy, I'm happy.
    atctimmy likes this.

Where was your EDC flashlight? It may be taboo but after you've made sure the weapon was clear shed some light down the barrell just to see.

Enjoy your new pistol, someday I'd like to get a new 1911 and this Ruger appeals to me.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

not unusual at all to buy a NIB gun that looks like it spent a day at the range. I've purchased NIB guns still
    sealed in the plastic wrap that had a lot of gun power residue on the gun, so I would let it slide. Seems
    every manufacture has a different way of shipping the guns.....some will clean, and others just fire 'em and box 'em.
    Also, the stainless guns take about two rounds fired before you will notice the residue....not so much on the all black
    guns.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

My LGS test fires EVERY gun before they sell it. That way he knows it works like it should. If there's any issues,

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. Mine needed a little cleaning to get it to my standards when I first got it but that's just me. Oh and don't be surprised if you have to adjust the sear spring a little to get the grip safety to stop rattling.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links