All over in less the 12 seconds-thinking of carrying un-chambered?

This is a discussion on All over in less the 12 seconds-thinking of carrying un-chambered? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by bmglock23 I can rack in 0.3 seconds, so yeah. My odds of an AD would be much greater than my odds of ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: All over in less the 12 seconds-thinking of carrying un-chambered?

Quote Originally Posted by bmglock23 View Post
    I can rack in 0.3 seconds, so yeah. My odds of an AD would be much greater than my odds of being the guy in the video.
    He doesn't say he can draw and rack in 0.3 seconds. He just says "rack" - not "draw and rack". I think what he is saying is that racking only adds 0.3 seconds to his draw time. The Israelis carry without one in the chamber and from what I've seen, they can draw and rack as fast or faster than I can just draw.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Nutrodoc View Post
    He doesn't say he can draw and rack in 0.3 seconds. He just says "rack" - not "draw and rack". I think what he is saying is that racking only adds 0.3 seconds to his draw time. The Israelis carry without one in the chamber and from what I've seen, they can draw and rack as fast or faster than I can just draw.
    How many Isreali's have you worked with? Just curious. I have worked with some and they do carry one in the chamber. I am not saying all but folks are using that as a blank statement.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I'll again say, I don't even holster. The time it takes to draw and aim is too long. I walk around with a pistol in each hand, and I constantly aim at any potential threat. Imagine how much different the OP's video would've been if he'd been dual-wielding at the "customers" as they walked in? None of this "diving and hiding" crap.
    F350_6 likes this.
    Mental illness incidents are used to threaten gun rights.
    The March of Dimes headed off the Universal Iron Lung coverage debate, just sayin'.
    Alternately, for those with a toolshed and ideas.

I can consistently draw and rack my gun in .3 seconds; oh wait, I carry a revolver.. Never mind, carry on...
    BugDude and pgrass101 like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Here is a home boy in the mother island of the Philippines that is performing an Israeli draw pretty quick not .3 seconds but still pretty quick. Also my opinion and my opinion only is if you have the time, why not practice performing and perfecting an Israeli draw just to have another skill in your inventory ??? It does not hurt. Enjoy and God Bless

That's the beauty of a free country...a person can choose how they carry, what they carry, or even to carry or not. I've carried chambered for many years and never had an issue with it. I also don't fidgit with my gun either. It stays in a holster, I don't load and unload it, etc. Day in and day out it stays loaded and holstered, trigger covered, unfidgited with. I don't understand why people feel the need to take their guns in and out of a holster, unload and reload, etc. All of that extra handling just increases the odds of bad stuff happening. I also know that if I need to use my weapon, it is ready to go. Nothing else to think about or manipulate under pressure. One less thing to go wrong. I guess that philosophy isn't for everyone.
    gottabkiddin, DaGunny and WHEC724 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutrodoc View Post
    I think what he is saying is that racking only adds 0.3 seconds to his draw time.
    Even that I doubt. Yes if you already have the gun out, your hand on slide and then START timer that would be .3 seconds. But I doubt coming from a holstered gun, mentally thinking about racking the slide, bringing your hand up and on to the slide will it just add .3 seconds.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

VIP Member
    When I think of how many times that my sweaty hand has slipped off the slide when racking, or had the first round nose-dive because it got bumped down in the magazine, I shudder to think of carrying on an empty chamber. Understanding the fire mechanisms and safety features of your carry firearm, proper training, and a good holster, goes a long way to providing peace of mind.

However, I really don't feel the need to convert anybody that does carry empty-chambered. If they are that uncertain of their ability to safely carry the firearm, I'm fine if they chose to carry it completely unloaded. Whatever works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    When I think of how many times that my sweaty hand has slipped off the slide when racking, or had the first round nose-dive because it got bumped down in the magazine, I shudder to think of carrying on an empty chamber. Understanding the fire mechanisms and safety features of your carry firearm, proper training, and a good holster, goes a long way to providing peace of mind.

However, I really don't feel the need to convert anybody that does carry empty-chambered. If they are that uncertain of their ability to safely carry the firearm, I'm fine if they chose to carry it completely unloaded. Whatever works for them.
    When I think of how many times my hand has slipped off the slide, my mind goes blank... :D

But I still carry with one in the chamber
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

My hand slipped the other day when i was at the range with my glock. On my m&p it seems the cuts on the slide are way more aggressive and it hasn't happened......yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Yes it is possible to quickly draw a gun from concealment and rack the slide, but why bother? I still can't come up with a situation where having the chamber empty would be an advantage. THat clerk is alive because his gun was ready to go.

A long time ago, on a planet far, far away I carried without a chambered round. Then one day a mentor asked me why I was carrying a weapon I wasn't confident about handling. I told him I carried un-chambered for safety. So I wouldn't have an AD. He responded, "Bullets don't exit the gun accidently, you must pull the trigger. Practice safe gun handling until you are confident and keep practicing as long as you carry a weapon."

After I gave what he said much thought I realized he was right. I was afraid that I would accidently discharge the weapon. I went back to basic 101 and dry practiced every handling step/technique until I felt confident. I continue to review and practice safe gun handling on a constant basis.

To each their own. I carry one in the pipe at all times. I don't need to practice various ways to rack the slide in record time.

Draw
    Shoot

Since I don't know what the situation will be like if it ever comes, it seems prudent to prepare for the worse case scenario. It does look like the cashier used a practiced maneuver. But there are way too many ifs in there. IMHO he was lucky. I try not to count on luck. But for the record, having a gun and using it for self defense saved his life! Chalk up a win for the GG.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Best thing to do is for yo to carry how you wish. I will allways carry chambered . In real life stuff happens that may tie up one hand , or you find a guy is very close when some very normal guy goes wacko at 5 feet or your hand slips off the rack or you just don'y get a good full rack or hangs up. Then you have a rock. If you can't trust your handgun to be chambered then change handguns. Put as little to chance a possible cause something ain't going to go right as is.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    show me in that video where you would apply your tactic’s ?

heck if your idea don't work they can use their teeth
    No no no. Not saying i would do this. This is what we learned as worse case scenario stuff for clearing a malfunction while one arm is injured or tied up with someone. I always carry with one in the pipe but its good to know how to reload if one arm is down. I was just stating the ways showed to me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    if you're not wearing a stiff belt that is not going to work. I for one wear shorts and a shirt and I lot of time no belt (don't get excited; carry in a belly band so weight in in the band and not on the pants) so there is no hard spot to wedge the rear sight on.

I hear you ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And fully agree with you.

He asked, I showed him.

I think anyone who doesn't carry cond.1 is nuts anyway.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links