All over in less the 12 seconds-thinking of carrying un-chambered?

This is a discussion on All over in less the 12 seconds-thinking of carrying un-chambered? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Nothing wrong with carrying without one in the chamber as long as you practice a lot. There are advantages to each way of carrying, I'm ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: All over in less the 12 seconds-thinking of carrying un-chambered?

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with carrying without one in the chamber as long as you practice a lot. There are advantages to each way of carrying, I'm one of the few that willingly admits that most of the time I do not carry with one in the chamber.

The benefit of having one in the chamber: You're about 1 second faster to draw and shoot. (don't get me wrong, this can be very important.)

The benefits of not having one in the chamber: An extra second of decision making, a few extra seconds if someone takes your gun from your holster and tries to use it against you, no risk of ND/AD.

As I said, both ways have their pros and cons, it's all about personal preference.

We also cannot forget that most of us (the majority of the time) carry concealed. Overall, this element of surprise is our biggest advantage.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Nothing wrong with carrying without one in the chamber as long as you practice a lot. There are advantages to each way of carrying, I'm one of the few that willingly admits that most of the time I do not carry with one in the chamber.

The benefit of having one in the chamber: You're about 1 second faster to draw and shoot. (don't get me wrong, this can be very important.)

The benefits of not having one in the chamber: An extra second of decision making, a few extra seconds if someone takes your gun from your holster and tries to use it against you, no risk of ND/AD.

As I said, both ways have their pros and cons, it's all about personal preference.

We also cannot forget that most of us (the majority of the time) carry concealed. Overall, this element of surprise is our biggest advantage.
    That extra second racking your slide (and most likely more) costs you your precious element of surprise. Plus the fact you are hoping it is not raining, your hands are not sweaty, and everything goes perfectly racking the slide without inducing a feeding problem.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by bmglock23 View Post
    I can rack in 0.3 seconds, so yeah. My odds of an AD would be much greater than my odds of being the guy in the video.
    Personally I think you're a fool for doing this, but it does appear that the clerk in the video does exactly what you are saying you can do. Of course and empty chamber typically beats a sharp stick, so at least you're carrying something and feeling comfortable about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The clerk spent almost the entire time before bad guys head popped over the cabinet to draw and rack the slide,then rushed his shot missing at almost point blank range,IMHO he may have been more ready to shoot if he had a round chambered he would have had his gun in the ready position and shot the BG,he may have even done better by shooting thru the counter top where BG's torso was instead of trying to hit a 4" diameter circle of his head.
    Maybe. Shooting under duress doesn't always go as well as you would hope. The time gained from having one in the chamber definitely wouldn't have hurt anything. Can't say for sure weather it would have helped. It doesn't appear he was exactly using a proper sight picture when engaging his target.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    As far as the spray and pray afterward it olooks like he was shooting where he felt the BG's would be if they hadn't already left,not a good idea,especially if there were customers about to enter that were by the door
    Agree 100%. Not a good idea, but with the adrenaline flowing and not knowing if the bad guy was waiting to take a shot as soon as you pop your head above the counter, I understand what he did. Don't necessarily agree, but I do understand.

The benefits of not having one in the chamber: An extra second of decision making...
    I prefer to have about 24 hours of decision making time. That way I can choose to not be there.

I don't carry so I have time to think about it. I carry in case there's no time to think about it.

a few extra seconds if someone takes your gun from your holster and tries to use it against you,
    But what about the 0.3 seconds to rack the slide that kicked this whole thing off? Are we to assume bad guys will take that much longer to perform the same mechanical function? If we're supposed to rely on their ignorance or unfamiliarity with firearms to explain the extra several seconds, then why are we not discussing carrying cocked and locked and relying on them not being able to flip the safety off for a few seconds?

no risk of ND/AD.

I get the personal preference aspect and don't really have too much of an issue with it, but out of curiosity, how long have you been carrying with the chamber empty? How many times has the pistol accidentally dry fired during this period of time?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links