What is the gun you will be handing down the generations?

This is a discussion on What is the gun you will be handing down the generations? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My dedicated but shootable heirloom is a Model 1890 Winchester pump in .22 Long. It's 1909 vintage, bought by my grandfather for recreation and pigeon ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: What is the gun you will be handing down the generations?

My dedicated but shootable heirloom is a Model 1890 Winchester pump in .22 Long. It's 1909 vintage, bought by my grandfather for recreation and pigeon hunting when he was working in Colorado before WWI. It's in NRA VG-Excellent condition. This will go to my first-born child unless he declines any interest; he has no interest in guns in particular, but he understands the 'family' thing. His younger brother is a shooter and will be the recipient of my 1990 Springfield 1911-A1, which was my first centerfire, defensive handgun.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

All that I have.

Got quite a "stable" going to my son and daughter- several dozen guns, rifles, shotguns, and pistols. Most will go with them as they leave home with the specification that they be well-maintained, always cherished (afterall they are from Daddy), and never, ever sold.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

All of them as I have no other recipents I'd care to give them to. As of now one of my most cherished is a Colt lighting that my great grandfather carried as a Lawman. It has two distinct notches cut into the handle, and I imagine what they represent often. Double action still works well on it too.

I'm hoping that I will have many more to give them. Working on that as often as possible!
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

My Dad's real Walther ppk/s...stainless, engraved, in excellent conditon. A real classic little pistol that's surgically clean, stored in RIG and a green gun bag, and set way back in the safe in the safe for my grandson, who gets it in about 10 more years.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    All of them, but Colt Single Action Army is the most significant!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Darn near a truck load. How ever we have that all figure out ahead of time so the weapons will not be listed in the will.
    I do not buy weapons to sell once I have one it is with me to the end.
    DanielC likes this.

The Model 1894 Winchester 30-30 that I acquired at age 16 which was, shall we say, a few years ago.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

My fathers Winchester Model 88 that we used to take many deer when I was a boy will be the highlight but my son will get all of the whole collection if he's interested.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My son would have no use for most of my firearms (he's more into the military-style firearms), but I intend to leave my Win Model 72 .22 rifle to my grandson--mostly to tweak the D-in-L's nose. She's very anti. My dad bought the 72 for me, used, when I was 12. The rest my son can deal with as he sees fit. No real attachments to any of them.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    One daughter is an anti, not sure what the other 2 will want. They each already have their own carry piece. I've begun to look for bargains in 22LR rifles to pass down to my grandchildren, but that's a lot of guns! My son will probably want the USP and the AK. He doesn't currently like revolvers at all. It's a terrible thought for my Dan Wesson's to be unwanted orphans. Hopefully he will mellow (and get wiser) with age and learn to appreciate them. If not, my greedy brother (If I go first) will take all that's left. jkg
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    My Glock 30 will be the classic of the next generation!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Senior Moderator
    My Great-grandfather's 20ga double barrel shotgun built by the St. Louis Arms (Sears & RoebucK) in 1906
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    I'm not telling!

Janet NappyOpolitono is monotering this site!

Semper Fi,

VIP Member
    My oldest son will someday be the proud owner of my Dan Wesson C-Bob. Youngest will get my CZ75 P-01.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Out of the lot,
    I think the Win. 1200 shottie, the Marlin336c, and the DW 15-2 VH and then the M&Pc .357sig, then maybe th S&W 39-2.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links