Would Anyone Else Like One of These?

This is a discussion on Would Anyone Else Like One of These? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife and I went to Beretta Range Day back in July and one of the weapons we fired was the Cx4 Storm carbine. We ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would Anyone Else Like One of These?

VIP Member

My wife and I went to Beretta Range Day back in July and one of the weapons we fired was the Cx4 Storm carbine. We have been talking about getting one in 9mm because we did not have any other guns in .40 S&W or .45 ACP. We now have the Springfield GI-45 and so we have discussed getting one in .45 ACP which right now seems to be much easier to find than the 9mm.

Yesterday I started thinking about how much better the .357 SIG round is than 9mm or .40 S&W (not starting a controversy here). It has been adopted by so many LE agencies. I like it better than the 9mm or .40. So I got to wondering what a Beretta Cx4 Storm carbine chambered in .357 SIG would be like. I think the longer barrel would allow the round to get closer to its true potential. The conversion for Beretta would be simple. They already have a 9mm version and the .357 SIG uses the same projectile as the 9mm. That already have the .40 version and the .357 SIG uses a necked down .40 case and uses the same size magazine as the .40. The .40 S&W Cx4 with the .357 SIG barrel would be a minor change and could actually increase sales.

If Beretta would not make a .357 SIG then SIG should produce a light weight carbine chambered for handgun ammo and bring it out in .357 SIG. After all the .357 SIG is their round.

So I wonder how many of you would be interested in a well designed carbine about the same weight as the Cx4 and chambered in .357 SIG? I will go ahead and say that if there was one available it would be my next purchase.

Let the discussion begin!
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I would Guess it would be fun

Now weather they would make it or not

Assistant Administrator
    I do not have any .357 SIG guns George but yes - liking as I do (trigger aside) my CX-4 Storm - the version you imagine would be truly desirable - enough to get me into the cal

Pretty ''useful'' combo methinks
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yep I would be interested. I would love to see a carbine from Sig also.

Don't have a .357SIG, but yeah, I would quite possibly get one. It is a hot little round, and would be fun to "plink" with. I must say that I am more likely to get a .40 or .45 as I already shoot these rounds, but I am not opposed to adding another caliber to the stable as it were.

JD
    Administrator
    I'm kind of surprised Glock hasn't gotten into this, I'd love a carbine in 10mm.

Talking

.357 Sig in a carbine would be cool... I'd be even more interested to see the ballistics of one...
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    I'm kind of surprised Glock hasn't gotten into this, I'd love a carbine in 10mm.
    I thought about 10mm, but really was looking at the ease of implementation. 10mm would require a complete redesign if it were Beretta. If someone came out with a nice 10mm carbine I'd be interested.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Are you buying?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Looks like Olympic made a 10mm AR at some point. Thier own website doesn't reference it but this one does.

http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/Olympic/pcr-10.htm
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

That's all I need. Another 'must have' gun to buy!!

Would be fun to have, but I don't see a lot of utility (for myself) for a carbine in a pistol caliber. I've got an Uzi (9mm) which is a ball to shoot, but if I wanted something more than a handgun for defense, I'd go for one of my ARs, either .223 or .308 (depending on the situation and terrain, of course).

I guess the argument could be made that the pistol-caliber carbine would have the virtues of being more intrinsically accurate than the handgun, with larger capacity, ability to mount optics, etc., without the excessive penetration of a rifle round.

And, you'd better believe, I have no argument at all with the desirability -- nay, the necessity ;-) -- of having as many guns as possible! Wherever your weapons priorities lie, you should follow your bliss.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I wouldn't mind a pistol caliber carbine but I have little interest in a .357 sig. I just don't see that it is in any way superior to the .40S&W.
    The balistics chart from remington shows that the 155gr .40 is equal to the 125gr. .357sig.

155gr .40
    MV 1205fps, at 50yards 1095fps
    ME 499ft/lbs, at 50 yards 413ft/lbs

125gr .357sig
    MV 1350fps, at 50yards 1157fps
    ME 506ft/lbs, at 50yards 372ft/lbs

Same amount of energy at the muzzle and at 50 yards the .40 holds on to its energy better. Plus I reload and would rather skip the case lube step required with bottle necked cases.

Senior Moderator
    Just my $0.02, but if you are going to step up to something the size of a carbine, it makes sense to step up to a rifle cartridge and get the terminal effect of a carbine as well.

If I need something bigger than my 1911, I'll reach for the 5.56.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Carbines

True, Rifles are rifles and carbines are carbines, and the power is not the same. Remember to use enough gun. I "work" at an indoor range and I have seen over and over that people who can barely hit a full-size shilouette target with a handgun can get good solid hits with a carbine. Most of the shooters I see are poor shots, mostly due to lack of real training. Their performance improves 100% with that extra stability and sight radius. We rent a Thompson, a Commando Arms .45, a 10-22, and a few Hi-Points. The quality of the carbine does not matter. It's just plain easier to shoot a long gun.

And if your handgun groups at 25 feet look like buckshot patterns at 25 yards. Get some help from an instructor. (And -pet peeve- dont take your girlfriend out so you can "teach her to shoot" if you can barely hit the backstop yourself)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links