Ruger Take Down 10/22

Ruger Take Down 10/22

This is a discussion on Ruger Take Down 10/22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This past week, I bought a copy of the October Guns and Ammo. One of the articles that was "teased" on the front page was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ruger Take Down 10/22

Ruger Take Down 10/22

This past week, I bought a copy of the October Guns and Ammo. One of the articles that was "teased" on the front page was about the new Ruger Take Down 10/22 rifle.

I had looked at another manufacturer's rifle that was designed as a "Take Down" .22 also but the reviews were not too good. So, I passed on that one.

The article gave a great review of the ten-shot .22 rifle. Ruger has it at an MSRP of $389.00.

I called my local gun store to see if they had any in stock (they do) or if I'd have to order one. They have them in stock and they are on sale for $299.00

The rifle comes with a sort of backpack carrying case that looks very useful. After checking the multiple videos regarding this product on www.ruger.com I also noted that there is a 25 round magazine available, too.

I don't see any downside and I'm looking forward to bringing one home this weekend.

I have seen nothing but good about this product. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to handle one myself.

I look forward to hearing what you think about it.

It's tough to beat a standard 10/22 for versatility. Add the take-down feature & it's even MORE versatile. Sounds good to me!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Gun tests magazine just reviewed it and give it very high marks. At a Phoenix gun show last month one dealer was selling one about every 15 minutes - they're popular!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    I've shot one. I had concerns about it being repeatable after being zeroed and taken apart. I also had concerns about wear and tear and the ability to hold zero.

Those concerns were put to rest. We zeroed it, shot it, took it apart, put it back together and shot it...several times. All was good. No change on the point of impact, and the best part was that the gun was suprisingly accurate.

Thompson Machine is selling the same gun with an integral suppressor that is very quiet....it may be the ultimate backpacking/survivalist rifle. It takes apart but is quiet enought that the bolt slap is the loudest sound. Whats not to like?

Ruger did good with this one. Its a winner.
    QKShooter, OD* and zacii like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I have the first one that hit my LGS. Great gun. At that price what are you waiting for?
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

It is what it is. I have no personal experience with the 10/22 TD model. My reasons for having several 10/22s are specific in ways. I always thought the AR7 rifle was the cat's meow for a break down rifle. I was sort of excited just for the new Ruger product to make it's debut. After all......American made makes an impression of it's own.
    There's probably no "downside" to having one whether it's for fun or survival. You should however look into what the rimfire community has to say about this before you buy. Like I tell them on other forums concerning CC.....this is the place to be. Likewise I can tell you that rimfirecentral is the place you should look for the best info IMO. Maybe I'll see you there.
    ctr likes this.

I bought one for my 11 year old grandson as his first rifle to start teaching him gun safety. As Hotguns said earlier it has great reliablility after a number of takedowns, I bought two of the Ruger 25rd mags and they performed without a hitch. We made a day out of it at the range, even took some MRE's to eat there.
    QKShooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsbacker View Post
    I bought one for my 11 year old grandson as his first rifle to start teaching him gun safety. As Hotguns said earlier it has great reliablility after a number of takedowns, I bought two of the Ruger 25rd mags and they performed without a hitch. We made a day out of it at the range, even took some MRE's to eat there.
    Yep...I tried out the BX-25 magazine today myself. No issues. A day at the range is always a good day. A day at the range with grandson is a bonus for sure. MREs? Well....a good day is a good day. Ruger is still American made and that says a lot in my book.

The MRE's ? well he ate them up (yuk,yuk).

Ironically, they leave the same foul taste in your mouth as a Brown's game does.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Ironically, they leave the same foul taste in your mouth as a Brown's game does.

Sent from my palm device
    That was great. There is a reason I don't follow sports. I live in Cleveland.

Many times it's simply something new other than mom's cooking that make it taste sooooo good. Maybe it's being in the bush too long as well. I've eaten plenty of unthoughtful things when hungry. Good teaching the basics IMO. I never thought of a range day like that......usually only lasts a few hours or half day at the most. Sonic is only 15 miles away. But hey....what they don't know won't hurt them. Roughing it is good experience all around. LOL!

I am super excited about this rifle. And seeing the glowing reports make me even happier! DONE are the days of keeping my 10/22 broken down to fit in my multi-day/long term go bag.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Interesting variation. I will have to find out if it will fit in my saddlebags for motorcycle camping trips.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links