Need help deciding on next project

This is a discussion on Need help deciding on next project within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a bit of discretionary income that I decided to put towards something gun related. As of right now I have a few options ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help deciding on next project

Need help deciding on next project

I have a bit of discretionary income that I decided to put towards something gun related. As of right now I have a few options and cannot decide. Figured I would throw it out there and see what others thing. May help narrow it down for me.

My options are as follows:

1. Buy a ruger 10/22 and customize
    2. Saiga 12 conversion
    3. Reloading equipment
    4. New handgun (Sig 226 or Glock 45acp)
    5. Buy accessories and ammo for AR-15

Figured with the 10/22 I could do some cheap shooting and get a lot of practice in. I will be starting a more intensive program in school come the spring and money may be tight so this option is appealing and offers me the chance to buy another gun.

The saiga 12 is just awesome. Don't think this need to explained further.

Reloading equipment would allow for cost savings when shooting while allowing me to shoot 9mm and 5.56. Seems like a compromise between shooting what I want and saving tons of money by shooting 22lr.

New handguns are just fun and would give me something new to mess around with. have been kicking myself ever since getting rid of my P226.

I also recently bought an AR. I have stocked up on magazines and have a couple hundred rounds of ammo. My last option is to get the remaining items needed/wanted for it. Would have to buy a back up iron. Would also be interested in a red dot and having a sizable amount of ammo on hand.

This one I am mixed on. The red dot could take away from time learning the iron sights. I would end up wanting an aimpoint, so buying something cheaper would be regrettable. Also, ammo could be bought and reloaded.

As of right now I cannot decide which route to go. Some based on cost could be combined. What do you think. Which option would you go for.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I vote 3 or 5. Or you can just keep buying the guns I sell. : )

VIP Member
    I vote for the 10/22. Everyone needs a .22 rifle for cheap plinking.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Well since you are asking, I'd order them this way if I were in your position:

3, 5, 4, 2, 1

I vote 1 and 3, which you could actually do combined for the approximate price of some of the other options.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I vote 3 or 5. Or you can just keep buying the guns I sell. : )
    Just got to post more for sale. Can't buy If i do not know they are there.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I vote 1 and 3, which you could actually do combined for the approximate price of some of the other options.
    This is what I was thinking would be most practical. Have to get a front Iron Sight, but after that am free to do whatever. 1 and 3 may supplement the rest of my activities nicely.

You may want to consider just a slight shift on your Ruger 10/22. Check out the new Ruger 10/22 Take Down model. It comes with a carrying bag (very nice) and it has the mount--but not the rings--for a sight.

This would be a sweet little baby to do a little customizing upon; I think you would really enjoy that.

I'd agree with 3 and 1. Reloading equipment is the gift that keeps on giving, and the more you reload, the more you save. Get the major capital purchase out of they way now, then it's just components and adding accessories as the needs arise.

As for the 10/22, customizing is fun (that's why I ended up with 5 of 'em!) but the only thing they really need up front is a trigger job to shoot well. With a good trigger, a modest scope and good ammo you can get dime-sized groups at 50 yards, which is plenty accurate for most recreational and training needs.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I'd go with #1 and #5.

#5........Buying ammo is always good. Been some nice deals on bulk 5.56 lately between Wally World and Academy. AR magazines are plentiful and reasonable. I just swapped out my factory collapsible six position stock for a Magpul CTR and I really like it. Bought a KCI 100rd drum magazine for it a couple of months ago.....shot it today and it was flawless.....not one hitch in 100 rounds.

#1.........I bought another 10/22 a couple of months ago with a project in mind. Mid-nineties model used. New paint job, new stock, new barrel and I've invested close to what a brand new Ruger Target model would cost. Ruger 10/22s are always fun project rifles. I also have to give a good review for the Ruger BX-25 factory 25rd magazine. Tried mine today and it functioned flawlessly as well. I've been buying and accumulating the Federal AutoMatch 22LR 40gr lead solids 325 round boxes for a while and must say they are the only 22LR round I will buy now and function excellent in all of my 10/22s and my MKIII 22/45.

New pistols require spare magazines, maybe holsters, and buying a new line of ammo if you don't already have something else in that caliber. Magazines aren't cheap these days....generally around $30 each depending. The new pistol does have limitations for customizing IMO. The real fun sort of tapers off after a few months and a few trips to the range.......it becomes more of a tool after that and either gets carried or taken to competitive events (which can cost you more ammo).

Reloading equipment. Well........the cost of ammo might not be as much of an issue this way.....but you're going to spend more time loading compared to time at the range....that will sort of need to be split AND, you'll still need to invest in projectiles, powder, and primers. Some of those items become scarce at times....usually when you need them. Some could argue that factory ammo is hard to find at times as well. That it is, but dedicating $20-$30 a week buying ammo when available may catch you up to a comfortable level soon....depending on how much you shoot and how often. The initial cost of equipment barring components is a sizable investment.

Saiga 12 conversion?
    Not sure about this. Removable box magazine 12ga semi auto? If this is an interest of yours, you don't actually want to forget it....just reason it out in your own way. I'm not sure what those are going for these days. 6+1 in a pump for around $250 is where I've drawn my line. A street sweeper 12ga I might see dropping some cash on but only for coolness factor or resale.

Hope I've helped in some small way. If you do the 10/22 build consider me a resource for advice and some factory parts if needed.

Ramrod, I did some online shopping and went the exact route you specified. Funny to see the reply after wrapping up my buying spree.

Bought the iron sight I needed for the AR. Also got a couple hundred rounds of 5.56 and an aimpoint Pro. Couln't reationalize an H-1. Seeing as I have never used a red dot I am sure it will be more than enough for me. Followed it up with 5 boxes of 147gr federal HST.

Still have enough left over for more ammo or a 10/22.

LOL! Scary in a way huh? But that's cool actually. Working man's way of thinking and budgeting for the hobby. Major purchases don't happen often here. Also got to reserve some cash for hard times. IMO......the best way of thinking and prioritizing. $20-$30 for ammo each week and still add to the fund for the 10/22. Thing is........you keep researching for your upcoming buys while you save. Often times the gotta have it now ordeal will sink you. It's good to have a list and more importantly to have some control over one's will. I want for very little, and the things I'd like to have will all come in due time.

That is how I plan to do it. Pick up a couple boxes of ammo every couple of pays.

Did pick up the 10/22 this evening. A guy on an ohio ccw site was selling one. Very lightly used with the auto bolt and extended mag release for $200. Was quite pleased. Best I can get one for around here is $200 before tax. Not to mention ordering the add on parts.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    buy the sig 226
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    That is how I plan to do it. Pick up a couple boxes of ammo every couple of pays.

Did pick up the 10/22 this evening. A guy on an ohio ccw site was selling one. Very lightly used with the auto bolt and extended mag release for $200. Was quite pleased. Best I can get one for around here is $200 before tax. Not to mention ordering the add on parts.
    You did good on that deal IMO. You should be pleased. There has to be something left to work on though........ the trigger perhaps? LOL! You made out good this weekend on your buying spree. I honestly don't think you need any more opinions about what you should do. You've pretty much made the best of things with your own wise decisions. I'd say you're in a good spot right now and you obviously know where to go next. Since you're so resourceful.......the sky's the limit since you know how to get there. Others' opinions at this point are not needed. You're nearing your comfort zone now. Less wants, fewer needs, and keep buying ammo whenever you can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links