Recoil Magazine - "This firearm shouldn't be available to the public" piece (MERGED)

This is a discussion on Recoil Magazine - "This firearm shouldn't be available to the public" piece (MERGED) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; They published a piece on the HK MP7A1 and they had the unfortunate idea that saying this about it would be a good idea... "Like ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Recoil Magazine - "This firearm shouldn't be available to the public" piece (MERGED)

VIP Member

Recoil Magazine - "This firearm shouldn't be available to the public" piece (MERGED)

They published a piece on the HK MP7A1 and they had the unfortunate idea that saying this about it would be a good idea...

"Like we mentioned before, the MP7A1 is unavailable to civilians and for good reason. We all know thatís technology no civvies should ever get to lay their hands on. This is a purpose-built weapon with no sporting applications to speak of..."
    The amount of hate they are receiving on Facebook is as humorous as it is well deserved.

The editor made the mistake of trying to spin some damage control and actually just made matters worse. I'm guessing someone is going to be hitting the Help Wanted ads pretty soon.

2. Remove Ads

Yup.. stupid decision, probably won't be able to recover from it.

Something about biting the hand that feeds you...

Designed to defeat body armor...out to 200 meters...very small, powerful carbine...or a large handgun...I'd feel good with this in the wife purse...does the Secret Service carry this weapon ?? not legal to hunt in Washington...I want it
    Poseidon likes this.

VIP Member
    Yeah, that's probably not a real smart mindset to take if you are a firearm publication. I think you could probably make that statement if it were a rocket launcher or something similar, but trying to make the statement that a firearm has to have "sporting applications" to be deemed acceptable for the general public is pretty darn stupid.

Amazing that an editor of a gun magazine does not understand the meaning of the 2nd Amendment. Hopefully one of his staff will inform him that its not about "sporting applications".
    mlr1m, Secret_Storm and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    Another gun magazine I have never heard of.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

They act like defeating body armor is a difficult task it is not. Does not require any special weapon. Most weapons with the right round in them can do the job.
    Body armor is not meant to make you bullet proof your not going to do the super man thing and walk up a BG shooting you. They are a second chance.
    And one you hope you never need to relay on.
    Most weapons made have no real propose in hunting, that is not why we own them.
    jumpwing, Poseidon and FTG-05 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Another gun magazine I have never heard of.
    Well the first 4 issues may have some collectors value because I'm not sure if they'll make it to the 5th issue...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Well the first 4 issues may have some collectors value because I'm not sure if they'll make it to the 5th issue...
    The fourth issue definitely garnered some attention. Maybe the whole thing was just a cleverly-contrived publicity stunt.

VIP Member
    The fourth issue definitely garnered some attention. Maybe the whole thing was just a cleverly-contrived publicity stunt.
    Given how it was worded, I actually thought the same thing, but the editor coming out and clarifying his position pretty much solidified the notion that it was not a publicity stunt. Plus, given how much bad press they are getting, I don't think that they could get that excuse to play unless they published it on April Fools Day and made it very clear that it was not to be taken seriously.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Given how it was worded, I actually thought the same thing, but the editor coming out and clarifying his position pretty much solidified the notion that it was not a publicity stunt. Plus, given how much bad press they are getting, I don't think that they could get that excuse to play unless they published it on April Fools Day and made it very clear that it was not to be taken seriously.
    Perhaps, but it is beyond doubt that many gun enthusiasts are talking about the publication today (me included) who would have never even heard about it otherwise.

VIP Member
    Perhaps, but it is beyond doubt that many gun enthusiasts are talking about the publication today (me included) who would have never even heard about it otherwise.
    Very true. I hadn't heard about it before today as well. Unfortunately for them, any press isn't always good press. I'm betting they are going to lose advertisers that want to distance themselves from that sort of mentality, as well as subscribers that take offense to it.

I never subscribed, something kinda bugged me about it but I never could put a fix on what. I really liked the DIY section and the one about successful small businesses in the industry. Other than that it just seems to have Mall Ninja written all over it.

I bought the first 4 issues to give it a chance and now my mind is made up. Thank you for saving me money TX!
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    They act like defeating body armor is a difficult task it is not. Does not require any special weapon. Most weapons with the right round in them can do the job.
    Body armor is not meant to make you bullet proof your not going to do the super man thing and walk up a BG shooting you. They are a second chance.
    And one you hope you never need to relay on.
    Most weapons made have no real propose in hunting, that is not why we own them.
    Yup, my mosin is capable up to somewhere just north of 500m i believe, of it no matter what ammo i use in it and theyre now only $90 at Fleet Farm. I own it because its a beautiful and capable weapon that defeated Fascism. Its cheap, reliable, sturdy and a good conversation piece at the range. Of course it does take down game quite well...I did not buy it to use on cops or whatever this editor had in mind. Im not seeing why a semi auto mp7 couldnt be released to the public. Its not like releasing the semi auto g36 was a big issue. Its a much better weapon system anyways. And with pistol versoins of ak47s and m4s, who really cares?!

With "friends" like that in the gun business who needs enemies?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links