Carrying at a School - Page 2

Carrying at a School

This is a discussion on Carrying at a School within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I all ready fired off a letter to both the State Attorney general and my local DA. I realize that the state wants people to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Carrying at a School

I all ready fired off a letter to both the State Attorney general and my local DA. I realize that the state wants people to think it is talking about two separate issues but in the Statutue they are treated the same. It says pretty clearly in a school or on the grounds of the school you are legal as long as you have a Weapon Carry Permit from the State of WI or another state.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmruger View Post
    I all ready fired off a letter to both the State Attorney general and my local DA. I realize that the state wants people to think it is talking about two separate issues but in the Statutue they are treated the same. It says pretty clearly in a school or on the grounds of the school you are legal as long as you have a Weapon Carry Permit from the State of WI or another state.
    I'm not trying to be rude so please don't take offense but I am certain you are reading it wrong and that it is clear that it says otherwise. Please share with us what the State AG and the local DA have to say.

It says pretty clearly in a school or on the grounds of the school you are legal as long as you have a Weapon Carry Permit from the State of WI or another state.
    Think so huh? This is your last chance to win my money (re: post #2). The offer expires at 1:45pm CST today.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Thanks Ghost Tracker, I am going to wait and see what the lawyers say first before sending any other letters out.

Thanks Ghost Tracker, I am going to wait and see what the lawyers say first before sending any other letters out.
    Don't hold your breath waiting for a response.

I was taking the angle that the school administrator could authorize me with a contract of some sorts. After reading the actual law more clearly look at this.

948.605  Gun-free school zones
    (2) Possession of firearm in school zone.
    (a) Any individual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is in or on the grounds of a school is guilty of a Class I felony. Any individual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school is subject to a Class B forfeiture.
    (b) Paragraph (a) does not apply to the possession of a firearm by any of the following:
    1r. Except if the person is in or on the grounds of a school, a licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d), or an out-of-state licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (g).

The Wi Doj FAQ says that a carry permit only covers you if you are within 1000 feet of the school but the statute specifically allows conceal carry “in or on the grounds of a school” if you have a resident permit or a permit from another state. What am I missing here? There has to be another place this is covered is the Wisconsin State Statutes, but I am unable to find it.
    P
    If you read the statutes at face value a carry permit holder is allowed carry on school property.

Link to state statutes
    http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/stat...atutes/948/605
    A smart school administer would recognise the demand and supply such contracts for a donation supporting the school's departments which could use more funfding.

The options for such a contract would be virtually unlimited. In addition to an arbitrary fee, which the amount of could be anything, a parent could be required to be an active member of the PTA, volunteer X hours for events, and their children must maintain a certain GPA or higher.

If you want to approach your local admin, speaking money will get you further than everything else.

No spell-checker with Tapatalk, sorry.

In Wisconsin
    It is a crime to possess a dangerous weapon (other than a firearm or BB or pellet gun) on or in any school building, school grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated for school administration. Wis. Stat. § 948.61.

However you are allowed to drive a motor vehicle in which a dangerous weapon is located onto school premises for school-sanctioned purposes or for the purpose of delivering or picking up passengers or property. The weapon may not be removed from the vehicle or be used in any manner.
    Wisconsin Legislature: 948.61
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    I believe when they are speaking of a contract they are referring to an actual contractor such as a plumber doing work at the school and not simply trying to buy your way into carrying a firearm on school property. Donations are exactly that money given with zero expectation of something in return. Giving a donation as suggested by someone with the expectation of being given a contract to carry a firearm on school property would be considered a bribe and is a felony under state law.

Donating time to the school again goes back to expecting something in return not to mention when other parents find out that dad is donating his time to the field trip in exchange for his "contract" to carry a firearm, it would last about 12 minutes after the press got ahold of it and the school admin guy was fired.

The parent would be required to become a member of the PTA? You are kidding right? So in exchange for this contract the parent would be required to become a member of one of the most publically anti gun, political organizations in the country? I can just see that first PTA meeting where dad shows up armed.

Their children would have to maintain a certain GPA? LOL and what if JR messes up and dad loses his contract to carry a weapon on school property not to mention the child rights groups that would become involved when it is brought out that JR is being forced to maintain a certain GPA so dad can carry a gun at school. I guess he would not have to worry long as they would probably take away his child and prevent him from being withing 500 feet of his school.

Any contract entered into with a Government i.e. "the school" would have to be brought before the school board in a public setting and voted upon requiring a majority vote to pass. I don't see this happening, but I could be wrong of course you can do as someone suggested and slip some money on the table and see if you can get your contract.

You do what you want to luckily some have a sig line that clearly states they do not give legal or firearms advice.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

All that Statute for Concealed Carry allows is that if you are within 1000 feet of a school,or on the grounds in a vehicle to pick up a student then you are exempt from 948.605.
    There is no way you are going to legally carry a concealed firearm into any School buildings unless you are an LEO.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by bmglock23 View Post
    I'd keep my mouth shut, but don't know the laws in WI. If you're afraid to be in the company of a bunch of 8-YO's just deep conceal and figure on taking your chances with a jury should you get into a gunfight with Mrs. McGillicutty's 4th grade class.
    I hope the part about "being afraid in the company of a bunch of 8 year olds was just a joke" I think we can all agree that a person can never predict when and where something "bad" will happen, and I'm pretty sure we all know that school grounds aren't limited only to 8 year olds, and school policy and state laws have zero effect on whether or not a person brings a gun onto that property (if they intend to do harm) The bad guys will be armed if they so desire. Of course, the good guys (us) can be armed also, but in certain places we may end up in jail just for doing so. (sad fact - even though these laws are completely unconstitutional) The laws really shouldn't hold water, but in this messed up world, they somehow do.

Move to UT...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

thats what i was going to say!
    I'd keep my mouth shut, but don't know the laws in WI. If you're afraid to be in the company of a bunch of 8-YO's just deep conceal and figure on taking your chances with a jury should you get into a gunfight with Mrs. McGillicutty's 4th grade class.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

VIP Member
    If you weren't on a list before...
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Exactly. While I am big on carrying every place I go, I think in this case I would leave it in the car and take my chances with the 8 YO's.
    I also have a pretty good feeling that your request to carry on school grounds will be filed in the trash and you will come of looking more like someone who should not carry than a responsible permit holder.

There is a on going struggle going on in this country to keep our 2nd Amendment Rights. What is not needed is for us not to follow our respective state laws and carry where ever and when ever we want. All it will take is one instance and the gun haters of this country will be on our "tails" like flies on honey.
    Just leave your side arm in the car or home when going to see the kids in a school function on school grounds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links