Birthday Money

Birthday Money

This is a discussion on Birthday Money within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last Tuesday was my birthday, and, as always my grandmother gave me $60. I happen to need new intake manifold gaskets on my car, which ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Birthday Money

Birthday Money

Last Tuesday was my birthday, and, as always my grandmother gave me $60.

I happen to need new intake manifold gaskets on my car, which would be about $50.
    But ammo is good too...decisions.

Which did I pick....?

Poseidon and Badey like this.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

I'll probably be kicking myself later for saying this, but get the gaskets if you're looking at the Remington UMC. That's the worst ammo I've ever shot through anything; for accuracy sake you can't hit the broad side of a barn with it and it really dirties up the gun. Only thing dirtier is the PMC Cartridge ammo, but it's accurate whereas this is not. For the price, try the white box Winchester.

I like to have my cake and eat it too. I would of bought the gasket and put the remaining $10 towards ammo.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    I'll probably be kicking myself later for saying this, but get the gaskets if you're looking at the Remington UMC. That's the worst ammo I've ever shot through anything; for accuracy sake you can't hit the broad side of a barn with it and it really dirties up the gun. Only thing dirtier is the PMC Cartridge ammo, but it's accurate whereas this is not. For the price, try the white box Winchester.
    I've never had that issue with UMC personally, both UMC and WWB have served me well. Federal occasionally has weak charges/poor quality control, but that ammo generally works too.

Edit: In regards to accuracy I have never been able to tell any difference between 115gr target ammo.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I like to have my cake and eat it too. I would of bought the gasket and put the remaining $10 towards ammo.
    ^^^This one gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Haha, maybe. I've never shot it before, I'll see what I think of it tomorrow. For $0.24 a round of instant gratification, I couldn't beat it. Plus, I got the gaskets this afternoon anyway.lol
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    I've never had that issue with UMC personally, both UMC and WWB have served me well. Federal occasionally has weak charges/poor quality control, but that ammo generally works too.

Edit: In regards to accuracy I have never been able to tell any difference between 115gr target ammo.
    I kinda strayed away from WWB, since I've definitely got more shotgun experience than pistol and Winchester doesn't have the greatest reputation in our 870s. But my dad has good luck with WWB, so maybe I'll start using it. I've been using Federal, and yeah, I've gotten a few light loads...

I've also never had any problems with UMC.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

100 rounds of UMC through my new G19, and I had zero issues. It IS dirty though.
    I had to bump the back of the slide to fully chamber the first round, but I think that's because I eased it forward.

LOVE my Glock.

$60 would have been a down payment on Trijicons for your G19. Tell Grandma next year you're gonna need a bigger payout.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I would have gotten the gaskets too...the rest toward ammo. Trucks gotta run for me to get to work, earn money, buy guns and ammo. It's an investment!
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Not super excited about the Trijicons, after shooting it today, a big dot front sight would be cool though...

Shot another 120 of UMC yesterday, still a little "dusty" but functioned great! Still love my Glock!

Distinguished Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Birthday Money ?
    are you 15

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    Birthday Money ?
    are you 15
    Ha! Take it easy on the guy. I've been trying for years to get my parents to stop sending me things for my birthday. A card would suffice. Alas, they still do...and I'm in my late 30s. I think it does more for them than it does me. Makes them feel good I guess.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links