Comments to support removal of regulation against EMS carrying weapons

This is a discussion on Comments to support removal of regulation against EMS carrying weapons within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ***LINKS FIXED*** The long awaited Final Stage of implementing new EMS Regulations in Virginia is at hand! Ever since VCDL's President called the State Office ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Comments to support removal of regulation against EMS carrying weapons

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

***LINKS FIXED***

The long awaited Final Stage of implementing new EMS Regulations in Virginia is at hand!

Ever since VCDL's President called the State Office of EMS about this, they have stated that they "do not enforce" this section of the Regulations. Now is when it officially gets erased from the Virginia Administrative Code.

The new 12VAC5-31-700 removes this silly item:

6. Possession of a firearm, weapon, or explosive or incendiary device on any EMS vehicle is prohibited, except:
    a. A sworn law-enforcement officer authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia.

b. Any rescue line gun or other rescue device powered by an explosive charge carried on a nontransport response vehicle.
    The actual regulation can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/8lbtdqd

The place to go, to make comments in support of this move (even if you're not in EMS, or live out of state), is:

http://tinyurl.com/8v4pue9

Click on "Enter a comment" to get started.

Thanks for helping what should be a "done deal!"
    Last edited by paramedic70002; September 12th, 2012 at 07:08 AM.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Best of luck. Seems those who take an oath to save life ought to be able to save their own if necessary.
    mprp and 64zebra like this.

I hereby support any & all efforts to save as many lives of the very folks who are trained to...save my life.

Seems to me that treating First Responders like 2nd Class Citizens by prohibiting their 2nd Amendment Rights is nonsense. I am weary of legislatively-mandated nonsense. THIS is a good place to start!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Would this law affect only those individual working for the Government or would it affect the policies of private companies as well?

Michael

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Would this law affect only those individual working for the Government or would it affect the policies of private companies as well?

Michael
    Excellent question, my thoughts precisely. Even if this regulation is removed I would think every private EMS company out there would still enforce a "no gun" company policy.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

My story as an EMT in California:

I was in school and since I had been a Corpsman in the Navy to help support myself I trained to be an EMT. I got a job easy enough in in Oakland. We got a call one night from residence about a shooting victim ( this was before the days of consolidation , 911 and ambulance companies were private (mid 1970's) )

We headed out to the avenues in East Oakland and soon were at a dark house that had called us. We got our stuff together and headed into the house. I kept hearing this "get out" over and over but I couldn't see anyone.

The other 2 guys were getting the victim together and was still outside opening the doors. I saw some movement and a fast flash of a flashlight. It was the source of the calling. I jogged over and it was a LEO for Oakland Police.

The crew and myself were in the middle of a shootout. The call was placed by an associate of the victim of police gunfire, inside the house. I had to stay with the LEO and the other guys , working on the victim were busy loading the guy into the rig. I waved them down and they picked me up

We were met at Highland Hospital by Oakland PD, Alameda Sherriffs and the patient was secured , charged and treated. We had escaped getting killed by luck I guess.
    It turned out that there were 2 guys in the house all had been involved in a robbery. The Police had tracked them to the house and the occupants opened fire on Oakland Police. They were hidden behind cover and we never saw them coming in.

The fellows inside were eventually forced out and arrested later

Should EMS be armed...by all means. We were lucky or had Angels protecting us.

Sent via Mental Power

I tried to comment, but the link didn't work.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

You've got my support 100%. I spent 14 years as the Board Chairman of a Regional EMS Agency in Virginia and our Executive Director was one of our biggest 2A Supporters. I always felt like that should have been an agency decision and not a state decision. The local authority granted the agency license, we purchased our own vehicles, hired our staff, and ran as a self supporting entity. I am glad to see it on its way to being changed. I'll be sure to e-mail him and provide plenty of people in addition to myself to support this endeavor.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I'm all for giving first responders the means to protect themselves so they can go about doing the job they were hired to do. You've got my support.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I tried to comment, but the link didn't work.
    Same here.

Being a Paramedic myself, I'm all for it, but the biggest hurdle is the employers and the hospitals we transport to, who both currently have the right to deny carry on the premise.
    64zebra likes this.

Broken link,but good luck,sometimes desperate junkies will do anything to get a fix
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    OK, I (hopefully) fixed the broken links.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I totally support what you're looking for here, but I did take the time to read some of the comments. What additional 12 hours of training, from courses that do not yet exist, are being referred to? If that's being written into the language alongside the right to carry it, then I'd have to agree with some of the previous comments: that's excessive and seems unnecessary.

Otherwise, I don't see why you shouldn't carry, in fact can easily see why you should.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Broken link,but good luck,sometimes desperate junkies will do anything to get a fix
    we've had 2 incidents in the last 18 months or so, where some dirtbags were trying to bust in an ambulance sitting in a parking lot (how they stage here), turds were trying to get in back, then side, then the driver/passenger doors, if they would have had something to break the glass it would have got ugly, the medics inside called for PD code 3 and we got sent over to take care of the idiots, both times the driver put it in gear and drove away from the threat, but this could happen on any incident scene too
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links