Neither AR nor AK

Neither AR nor AK

This is a discussion on Neither AR nor AK within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone out there have an "assault" (i use that term loosely--for a lack of a better term) rifle other than an AR or an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Neither AR nor AK

Neither AR nor AK

Does anyone out there have an "assault" (i use that term loosely--for a lack of a better term) rifle other than an AR or an AK? Anyone have an AUG, Famas, F2000, G36....... What do you have? Do you like it? I realize they are often more expensive--was it worth it? Why did you choose it over one of the 2 more popular platforms?
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Senior Moderator
    I have an HK91. Its a .308. Yes, I like it. When I got it, I bought a dozen 20 round mags for 3$ a piece. Its accurate and it shoots well.
    I didnt really choose it over the AR or the AK as I have several of each.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Hey there jarhead...

If you're looking for something other than AR or AK that's worth what you pay...

This might fit the bill.

FN Scar17s 7.62x51

MSRP $2900

Currently saving up fer one myself.
    Poseidon likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

VIP Member
    SIG 556 best of both worlds. Shoot an MSAR on occasion, M1A, G-3, FN/FAL.

Did not really choose one over the other simply got what I wanted my working rifles are still either an AR or AK variant of some type. The bullpup pattern rifles take some getting used to but once you get the operating basics down they are great to shoot. They can be set up for either right or left handed ejection however once set up don't try to shoot it from the other shoulder as they eject brass with authority.

I have shot at one time or another some of everything and other than a few "hey that is neat" instances none of the non standard rifles can do anything better than the AR or AK. That is one of the main reasons they dropped the SCAR light project, it simply could not do anything the M4/16 family of rifles could not do already.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Senior Moderator
    I have an FN/FAL that I really like but it is more of a battle rifle. I have and love the M1 carbine but it fires a pistol round and they are as expensive now as a AR clone.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member
    Tucked away in the safe at the folks house up north, I still have an HK91 and an HK93, both purchased new in the late 80's. They've both seen thousands of rounds, but seldom see daylight anymore. One day, someone will wave the right amount of cash in front of me and they'll be gone... but not today :)

I did walk into my favorite LGS a few weeks ago and spied a semi-auto AUG in one of the glass cases, only to find that someone had placed a deposit on it just before I arrived. Probably just as well... I would very likely have thrown a credit card down on the counter and impulsively bought it just on the cool-factor alone.

I've owned a variety of AK variants (Norinco's, etc), but currently have none in the stable. Our current rifles (daily shooters) are predominantly AR platform.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I am looking hard at the Ruger Mini-14 as a home defense carbine. Shoots the 5.56, proven reliability even is negleted. Good price point. No frills carbine. Not a scary looking "assault rifle". I am not concerned with 300yrd shots. 100yrds and in, the new 5000 series will do the job.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

OD*
    Have a DSA FAL-SA58, if I'd bought an FN-FAL years ago, I probably wouldn't have my ARs now.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I've used the M-16, the AUG, HK's, and the AK, they're ok but my favorite is the Famas. I've fired thousands of rounds and killed more than I can count. When I hear the call of duty I choose the Famas for my black ops missions.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I have an AR but I find myself with something a little different these days, a pistol caliber carbine. I shoot my Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine more than I do my AR. When I take fellow officers to the range I try to bring that along so they can get some fun time on the trigger.

I shoot AR ,AK and HK but I always come back to the AR its like an old glove you pull out of the closet and the fit is still great! 20 plus years on that platform now its my go to rifle.
    Thats not to say I don't enjoy pulling the others out of the safe including the old Garand .
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Another vote here for FN FAL. When your battle requires...a rifle.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    I had a pre-ban HK-93 which I liked well enough, although it fell to the bottom of Lake Erie in a kayaking mishap. I believe they are rather hard to come by these days.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Another vote here for FN FAL. When your battle requires...a rifle.
    I've always wondered how the history of U.S. small-arms would have went, had we adopted the T48 (FAL) instead of the T44 (M14) as our service rifle in 1957.
    pgrass101 and bmcgilvray like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I've always wondered how the history of U.S. small-arms would have went, had we adopted the T48 (FAL) instead of the T44 (M14) as our service rifle in 1957.
    Me too
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links