Martial arts vs. firearms

This is a discussion on Martial arts vs. firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ericb327 I trained in Aikido for a total of about seven years. The benefits are conceptual not just physical. Aikido is good ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Martial arts vs. firearms

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I trained in Aikido for a total of about seven years. The benefits are conceptual not just physical. Aikido is good for law enforcement due the always be safe from attack even when close to the attacker.
    +1 I found a lot of the locks very useful as well for control.

Sent via Mental Power

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Recently MMA trainer and BJJ brown belt Wyatt Lewis was killed while trying to defend a friend who had gotten into some sort of altercation. I mention this because I believe beyond any training, firearm or unarmed, the most important thing that will keep you alive is staying aware of your weaknesses and never underestimating an opponent's capacity to do you harm.

I'm not advocating a shoot first mentality or anything, but Mr. Lewis wasn't counting on getting stabbed and it cost him his life.

I'm way past the age where I wanna go Bruce Lee with some bad guy, but I have no problem moving my index finger just a bit and ending the fight before it starts.
    GunGeezer and BkCo1 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

yea, both specialized tools for specific jobs. and then there is this guy...

My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I'm way past the age where I wanna go Bruce Lee with some bad guy, but I have no problem moving my index finger just a bit and ending the fight before it starts.
    When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Martial means "combat", I imagine that "combat" covers most of situations where a handgun is seriously applied. A working knowledge of The Art of Combat can't possibly be a liability in ANY SD situation.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

The only martial art that I know is kung pao chicken
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    The only martial art that I know is kung pao chicken
    Your kung pao chicken good, but my moo goo gai pan better!

Martial arts gives you confidence, improved physical fitness and better yet, options when a firearm is no available. After more than 13 years of martial arts training I can say that it extremely rewarding and also extremely effective!

It's not all going to be draw and fire at 7yds.

Sometimes in the real world, it's an in-your-face encounter. You may have to go hands-on to make enough room to access your weapon.

H2H + CCW go hand-in-hand.
    beni and rocky like this.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Gonna totally disagree with Ram Rod. Sorry, guy - but this is where we talk about defense, not biases.

Here's the deal: You're pumping gas or in a convenience store or name the situation, but a BG can get the drop on you and have a gun in your face. And you have a concealed firearm on your person.

It might as well be a million miles away. Your chance of drawing and bringing it into play are exactly zero.

If you have H2H training in almost any martial art, straight-up boxing included, then you will know that if the enemy is within striking distance you can move faster than he or she can pull a trigger. Reaction time exacts a severe penalty on an assailant. First, the BG has to notice that you are doing something. Then the BG has to decide whether or not to pull the trigger, or stab with the knife. In between is where you can work.

Or not. You can always hand the wallet over if you think it more prudent to do so.

If you do elect to obtain H2H training, it should be a lifelong commitment. Because it is no guarantee of anything. Plenty of black belts have had their milkshake drank.

Thing is, the more years you study and practice, the more time you spend, the more your body and mind will be kinesthetically grooved to respond automatically, and that is where training pays off - when you react faster than the normal person can because you have executed the same moves thousands upon thousands of times. Better: When you have learned to follow the flow of combat and move as circumstances dictate without thinking about it.

Guns are great tools but the modern urban warrior should have more options available than a .8-second draw. Because that's way too slow for some situations.
    skew12 and beni like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Actually, if you are taken by surprise as in an armed robbery or mugging where you are not convinced you are in mortal danger if you simply comply, would it not be more prudent to hand over your wallet and live to fight another day? Sometimes we let our ego's write a check our butts can't cash. On the other hand, faced with the prospect of imminent death whether or not you act, all bets are off.
    I had a cousin who was small in stature. He worked on a shipping dock and unloaded semi's. He was cornered once by a man with a knife who was trying to kill him. While grappling on the ground my cousin bit his ear off. The guy freaked and ran off. My cuz got the reputation of being crazy but nobody messed with him.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I see these as two different tools for two different ranges. (as my dad used to say "you can't karate a .45) If the man with a gun lets the man without one within arms reach, he has made a mistake, now the trained martial artist has an advantage. I know many gun and knife disarming techniques and am very good at executing a few, yet still I wouldn't attempt one unless it was a last resort. Guns are designed to be used at range, and the physical side of martial arts is useless at guns range. To be well versed at martial arts is to know how to live your life and know how to detect, and be aware of the signs of a bad situation before you get into one, and to also be able to set your pride and ego aside so you can get yourself out of a situation before it ecalates to physical.
    If someone has pointed a gun at you and you aren't shot yet, they want something and you have to listen to them, then decide if what they demand is worth dying for.
    For me, there are no physical objects worth that.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    Actually, if you are taken by surprise as in an armed robbery or mugging where you are not convinced you are in mortal danger if you simply comply, would it not be more prudent to hand over your wallet and live to fight another day? Sometimes we let our ego's write a check our butts can't cash.
    I don't know about you or anyone else, but I will never just hand over my wallet unless the odds are impossible. I just can't bring myself to accept someone's dominance over me.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

If at all possible don't bring a black belt to a gun fight.
    If all else fails no other options wrap the BG up and go to the group, that movie stuff just aint real.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links