Martial arts vs. firearms

This is a discussion on Martial arts vs. firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ya, ya, ya, I know it is Hollywood and all, but I have been watching many more action films of late. There are times when ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Martial arts vs. firearms

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Martial arts vs. firearms

Ya, ya, ya, I know it is Hollywood and all, but I have been watching many more action films of late. There are times when the good guy is held at gun point or in a situation where he is not able to access his firearm. That is the time when a few good martial arts moves saves the day.

Each situation is different, but I just keep thinking that it is just as important to know some unarmed defensive/offensive moves because the more likely scenario is, even though we may be armed at the time, the martial arts move is going to be the more appropriate tool for the job than trying to draw and fire.

Some examples of these are:

1. Someone is holding you at gunpoint/knife point. You just don't have time to draw and fire before they do.
    2. You are approached and physically menaced with no weapon present.

Some examples of times where a firearm is the better tool.

1. You are accosted by several attackers. (i.e. disparity of force)
    2. Active shooter scenario

If I thought about it, I could come up with more. The point being that as part of our preparedness/training, we should be running these scenarios through our heads and selecting the best tool for the job (firearm, OC spray, martial arts, running, etc.) instead of just using the "if the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" approach.
    tcox4freedom and shockwave like this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Then you should re-title your thread to "Martial Arts" and "Firearms"...it's good to have both tools at your disposal not have one or the other. Absolutely nothing wrong with being prepared.
    tcox4freedom and skew12 like this.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

It is not really H2H vs Firearms. It is based all on your degree of threat. All could be needed or just one. My basic Force Continuum is H2H >>OC spray and so on up the chain. Good H2H skills just give you more options as do OC, Tasers, Kubotans etc.

It's really all just situational awareness. One of the techniques that works very well is the command voice. I have seen it freeze someone many times in training and on the job.

Sent via Mental Power

Senior Moderator
    Gun-go-pow is a martial art, so is Tank-go-boom.....

But yes everyone needs some basic H2H skills, most local colleges and community colleges offer the baisc courses, even if it is just learning to throw a punch and were to strike (groin, knees, eyes, ears, nose, throat) and fighting dirty. The main thing is to get at least some basic training
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

One thing you can count on............it's never going to be like it is in the movies.
    IMO.....martial arts vs firearms is a loosing ordeal.....armed combat vs unarmed combat. Part of training should be combat is combat, and generally this entails a fight til death. The survivor usually ended up having an advantage and they knew how to use it effectively. Hand to hand combat vs a firearm is a dismal if not suicidal undertaking in my opinion. You be ready for anything....otherwise 'combat' is not in your vocabulary.

Guns are the American martial art...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I beg to disagree. At close range when a BG has the upper hand with respect to armed vs unable to arm (combatives, hand to hand, close quarters combat, martial arts, whatever you want to call it) can be quite useful with the proper training. The challenge is the time necessary to develop both the mental and physical agility required to execute them is more than most people can give.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
    I beg to disagree. At close range when a BG has the upper hand with respect to armed vs unable to arm (combatives, hand to hand, close quarters combat, martial arts, whatever you want to call it) can be quite useful with the proper training. The challenge is the time necessary to develop both the mental and physical agility required to execute them is more than most people can give.
    Do you disagree with my original statement?

The bold....You mean people have to actually train to become good at something...What a concept.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Do you disagree with my original statement?

The bold....You mean people have to actually train to become good at something...What a concept.....
    I do not disagree. I disagreed with the post by Ram Rod but didn't quote it.

You would be surprised how with the proper training how easily an unarmed victim could stop an armed attacker. In the gun disarming techniques I have seen it is more about the small unnoticeable little moves an unarmed person defending against an armed attacker make that make them successful. And as mentioned above it is more of a challenge to develop the mental agility to recognize in an instant which course of action to take. Like most other self defense techniques, that is achieved through training.

Use of mind first to determine threat assessment, then use Martial arts or weapons depending on the need
    Mind body and spirit united using weapons as needed

TNS's avatar should remind us all. Get a trunk monkey. Otherwise you are simply a victim.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I trained in Aikido for a total of about seven years. The benefits are conceptual not just physical. Aikido is good for law enforcement due the always be safe from attack even when close to the attacker.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I studied a Chinese system of martial arts in the 70's. It incorporated a type of defense called Chin-Na, basically "grappling." Many styles and systems of martial arts all over the world use these same types of defenses, they just go by different names. I have forgotten much of what I learned of the system, but I still remember and practice Chin-Na.

ETA: Here is a link to Wikipedia that explains a little bit about it.
    Chin Na - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is no single ideal "system" save for one that takes the best from various forms of martial arts and incorporates them as appropriate to a given situation. Jeet Kune Do, Krav Maga, military combatives are examples of systems that borrow from others...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links