Defensive Carry banner

At what point did your p-22 begin to work?

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Civil_Response 
#1 ·
Let me say I love ruger and all my other guns are ruger. Never had a problem with ruger. The one time I stray from ruger I go with a respectable (from what I thought at the time anyway) brand. walther, now maybe my first opps here was buying the p-22 used. Maybe I happened to roll the dice and pick up a early model that had kinks to be worked out. But hey I'm on a budget and needed to have the $80 right? so I bought it for I think $290 or so.

About a week later I bring it to the range and it is looking good. Didn't care for the random ejection of brass that would hit me in the forehead from time to time but it seemed fine. Then I got about 30 rounds into it and here we go. Should I even write it? because I'm sure you already know. I will make it as short as I can just to recap. Screw that screws in next to the barrel becomes lose, fail to fire, fail to feed, fail to eject. now when I say fte I don't just mean the brass gets caught half way out of the slide, no. I mean some times the spent case is still in the barrel. this happens every 2-3 rounds for the next 180 rounds (hey I already paid for the full hour).

One thing to note is that if you follow the slide home (yeah I know you aren't supposed to do that but it was for checking purposes of course) the hammer would actually catch the slide and hold it in place (lovely).

So I go home clean it spotless as I do with all my guns after going to the range and then I do some internet research and find basically nothing good about the gun. There is a p-22 bible out there aparently because there are so many issues. to some it up I guess the spring doesn't have the force to chamber a new round half the time and there is too much metal on the slide and hammer.

So I call and of course I get the ol' use better ammo. So I send it in to them and they tell me I have a bad mag and to use cci (took them a month to come to this conclusion mind you). So I get it back and shoot again, first mag same problem. Luckily I was expecting this and brought my new lc9 to test out when the p-22 Shat the bed. I took it home and watched this youtube video for about 4 hours over and over and over.................... untill I got it down (this guy that like me didn't except the fuctioning of his p-22 and the lack of effort to fix it) so following his instruction by hand with a metal file (he had better tools then me all I had was a metal file) I shaved down the slide (I won't touch the hammer as I could really mess that up but he shaved off metal from his hammer and said his p-22 worked like a dream).

Back to the range I went with this p-22 and I put about 300 rounds through it of both white box 555 and cci and only had about 10 fails. Which is a vast improvement that I can attribute to shaving metal off of the slide. I expect shaving the hammer will completely resolve the issue but at the moment I don't care touch it.

Kind of sucks because I do love the p-22. it feels great, is very accurate imo. I can put 4-5 in a 1 inch group at 25 yards rapid fire before having to take half a second to resight. I do greatly enjoy shooting the p-22 but am very disapointed with how it was made and the seemingly lack of work ethic from the service department.

So if any of you don't know about the walther p-22 you may have some issues and this is how you will need to fix them. Like I said I bought this gun used, I don't know where in the line of p-22s it falls. If you buy a brand new one it may be perfect but this is just my story of what happened to me.

See less See more
#2 ·
I own a Walther P-22. It shoots well and I have not had issues with Federal bulk 22 ammo or Remington Gold.

Guess I got Lucky.

#4 ·
I bought an early P22 (with both barrel options). It was such a pure disaster that I was very pleased to be rid of it (traded) in short order. I've got a thing for .22 autoloading pistols and it was perhaps my biggest disappointment ever. I didn't expect it to be a Smith 41, Victor 10X or Pardini SP but it wasn't even (IMHO) a Jennings or Hi-point.

#6 ·
I found that mine was picky at first so i consulted a gunsmith. He said to oil the heck outta it and cycle about 500 CCI minimags through it and then use CCI Velocitors. 2500 rounds later, i can use it as an EDC or BUG. mines a 2011 model, she likes CCI Velocitors best, then Minimags and after that, Remington Thunderbolts. The heavier the slug the better the action cycles. Just make sure its at or above 1260fps and youll be good to go. If youre still having feed problems, its probaly time to break it down completely and soak it in CLP overnight. Like most european pistols, mine likes to be run wet. Yours may differ slightly. I own a few with attitude problems lol

I do understand that sometimes you get a lemon...but dont read too much into peoples posts. I have just come into gun forums myself recently and never posted about problems ive had before this year. Its probably safe to say that youll only find a few success stories and a whole lotta failure stories since people generally keep pulling the trigger when all goes well lol

#11 · (Edited)
honestly because this was in the very beginning of my gun buying days and I knew very little (i.e that there was even a ruger sr22) or else I would have. Lol lesson learned, will forever research everything. Learned that lesson with cars now I learned it will guns, won't be making such mistakes again.

#9 ·
The day I got it.

Mine will have an occasional hiccup with cheap ammo, but I've yet to have a single problem when running CCI Stingers or Mini Mags. If I'm just putting holes in paper I really don't care if a round doesn't go off, I put in CCI Stingers once I get home so my wife can use it for defensive purposes if necessary.

I also ran an entire box of bulk ammo through it without a hitch, but can't remember what brand so I'm trying them all again to see what it was (Winchester, Remington or Federal).

It's a great gun, we all enjoy shooting it, it's cheap to shoot and easy to maintain.

#10 ·
was it the american eagle 36 gr hp? Those run fairly well in mine. I dip the tips in wax so the hp doesnt catch and cause a FTF.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.