Need help deciding on a home defense firearm

This is a discussion on Need help deciding on a home defense firearm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; buy a Glock 19 and learn to master it. When you join the Chicago PD, you'll be a step ahead of the other newbies as ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need help deciding on a home defense firearm

buy a Glock 19 and learn to master it. When you join the Chicago PD, you'll be a step ahead of the other newbies as I believe Chicago carries the G19 as their duty weapon.

The beauty of the Glock is not how it feels all warm and fuzzy in your hand, but how reliably and accurate it is in rapid fire and close quarters combat scenarios. Once you have mastered
    the Glock and get over the "feel good issues", it will be the most beautiful weapon in your collection. As for me, I say "What's a SIG"?
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

2. Remove Ads

HK 45 or P30 .40 both have the larger mag release than the USP and a grip that I'm sure you'll love. Plus you can get them in LEM if your department requires DAO. A little pricey but don't buy until you look at them. I own the HK P30 in .40 s&w and love it.

Senior Moderator
    I find the grip angle of Glocks uncomfortable, they have never felt "right" in my hand.

With that being said, the Glock 19 is one reliable pistol and one that I highly recommend, even if I don't own one and find it slightly uncomfortable in my hand.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    How about the FN 45 cost about 700 bucks 45SCP and large cap

I second the m&p vote. glock reliability without feeling like a 2x4
    accessbob likes this.
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy...

M&P 45c, S&W 642, Browning BPS

I like Glocks, love the Sig P226. But, I'll be the first to say it - if you're use to the grip safety of the 1911, try an XD. My HD weapon is a XD40 service. It's been extremely reliable and accurate. Aside from that, given your choices, I'd go with the Sig.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

If open to the Glocks, consider the "SF" variants, which have a differently-shaped backstrap area. Designed for people with a bit smaller hands, I've found them to be comfortable in a way the normal, blockier Glock grip shape is not. Might be an option, for you. ie, the Glock 21 SF 45ACP. As well, several gunsmiths offer Glock grip reshaping services, to eliminate the "blocky" feel that so many want to avoid.

If preferring DAO, the HK45 / HK45C, HK P2000 and HK USP might be options. They've all got shapes markedly different than the Glock, with most having swappable backstraps for shaping the grip to your preference.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake4323 View Post
    Hi, I am a Infantry Marine War Veteran, first of all. Just putting that out there to show that I am not new to firearms. Lately I have been having a difficult time deciding on a firearm. This will be the first firearm I own, and it's main purpose will be home defense. Although, I would also like to have it for possible open carry in a bug out situation. I went to the range the other day and compared a Glock 23 with a Sig Sauer P229 (in .40), the Glock felt horrible to me, it didn't fit my hand, and the recoil was way to much (and I've shot M1911's with mil spec recoil rods), however, the Sig on the other hand was smooth, and it fit my hand well. I was wondering if putting a rubber grip sleeve on the Glock would fix the grip problem, and maybe a tungsten guide rod to lower the recoil. Or if I should just go full size and try the Glock 22 and Sig Sauer P226 (in .40). I've read that a compact pistol is not ideal for home defense. So pretty much I'm just wondering if putting a sleeve (Like a Hogue Handall) on a Glock 23 helps, or should I just go full size. I am somewhat partial to Glock because I plan on joining the Chicago PD in a couple of years, and it's DAO with them, otherwise I would pick the Sig hands down.
    I am a ruger fan and would like to recommend the lc9 to you. has safetys up the A so CA should be fine with it and it fits nicely in the hand. If this is something that your wife may shoot, she may not like it because of its desent kick (I think due to the double springs) but it isn't exactly overwhelming it may just surprise you at first. Practicing the trigger pull will ease her mind with it though (7lbs I think it is). Also as far as the BUG gun is concerned it is a nice size that you won't feel is a burden to carry and will take up very little room.

I have put about 350 white box (the cheap stuff) through mine and not a single issue.

also I just thought to add. If you are thinking BUG situation you may want to pick up some kind of rifle to hunt with. Again love ruger and would recommend 10/22. I just bought the Take Down version a little while ago and it is amazing and because of the TD feature clearly that is a plus for a BUG situation (comes with its own back pack as well with many pockets for tons of extra carry). Something that is nice about the 10/22 is that you can also get some bx-25 mags (I think they are pretty new so I don't know how many people know about them yet) so you can now have a 25 rd mag on the 10/22 which is awsome imo.

Hope this helps you and gl in your desission.

I guess just as some people drink the Glock cool-aid I drink the Beretta cool-aid! Check out the PX4. They are available in the "C" model which is a DAO trigger, no external safety or decocker.
    Beretta PX4 CONSTANT 40SW 10RD $399.00 SHIPS FREE
    After the Beretta I personally liked the M&Ps also.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    I guess just as some people drink the Glock cool-aid I drink the Beretta cool-aid! Check out the PX4. They are available in the "C" model which is a DAO trigger, no external safety or decocker.
    Beretta PX4 CONSTANT 40SW 10RD $399.00 SHIPS FREE
    After the Beretta I personally liked the M&Ps also.
    The .40 PX4 is a nice shooting gun.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Sig p220

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Grab a Glock 22 and shoot the crap out of it. If your like most you will grow to love it
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    First gun for home defense and possible open carry bug-out situation, lets see what comes to mind. Ahh an 18-20 inch barrel 12 guage shotgun. It does not necessarily have to be a tactical model. One of the hunter/sportsman models will work just fine. It gets away from the stigma of the evil black gun, not that that bothers me. In the news it is all about perception. If the weapon appears evil then the person must also be evil idea. The shotgun is one of the most versitile weapons available. It can be loaded down for target practice or small game hunting. It can be loaded with buck shot for large game and if necessary people. It can also be loaded with slugs for those special situations. For a handgun, considering you are thinking of joining the Chicago Police I would stick with what they carry. That way if they accept you, you may have a leg up in the academy.

I appreciate all of the help and suggestions everyone has submitted. I went to the range today with my buddy and we tried out his Glock 23, and rented a Glock 22 and Glock 21. After shooting his Glock 23 I realized that is was not as bad as I remembered, however, the Glock 22 would be my preferred choice for the .40. Although, the Glock 21 blew the Glock 22 out of the water, every time I shot the sights were always right back on the target where I was aiming. It also seemed like the recoil was much more smoother than the 22, all around, it is by far one of the finest .45s I have ever shot. So I think my choice is going to be a Glock 21 Gen 4

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    I just bought a stevens 320 pump security. Buckshot wont penetrate the walls if youre worrying about kids. Or so im told...not really an expert. It was only $199 at wally world if you end up leaning that way.
    Not true at all. Buckshot will penetrate most common interior walls. See The Box O' Truth #3 - The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth - Page 1

Quote Originally Posted by Jake4323 View Post
    I appreciate all of the help and suggestions everyone has submitted. I went to the range today with my buddy and we tried out his Glock 23, and rented a Glock 22 and Glock 21. After shooting his Glock 23 I realized that is was not as bad as I remembered, however, the Glock 22 would be my preferred choice for the .40. Although, the Glock 21 blew the Glock 22 out of the water, every time I shot the sights were always right back on the target where I was aiming. It also seemed like the recoil was much more smoother than the 22, all around, it is by far one of the finest .45s I have ever shot. So I think my choice is going to be a Glock 21 Gen 4
    Excellent choice. I have a Glock 30 for duty use. It feels a bit thick in my hand - but shoots really well.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links