Need help deciding on a home defense firearm

This is a discussion on Need help deciding on a home defense firearm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was thinking about the 30 for a bug, but it seems too big, I'll probably check out the Springfield XDS when it comes out. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need help deciding on a home defense firearm

I was thinking about the 30 for a bug, but it seems too big, I'll probably check out the Springfield XDS when it comes out. Although it's listed as a sub-compact, it's dimensions are more in line with the compacts. Another note about the 21 and 22, earlier I mentioned that the 23 did not feel good in my hand, well the 22 felt great and the 21 fit like a glove, really great handguns, both of them

2. Remove Ads

Okay, new problem. My local store has a Glock 21 and Glock 21 SF in stock. I have shot and like the 21, I have not shot the 21 SF and none of the ranges in my area has one to rent. Does anyone have experience with both of these weapons and can tell me in the 21 SFs grip severely alters the weapons shooting experience. I have average sized hands, I didn't notice any problems with the 21s grip, but when I picked up the 21 SF it was very different, like I was holding a Glock 22. Any info you guys can give me would be very helpful, thank you

12 or 20 gauge shotgun is good for home defense
    Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen.
    -- Jeff Cooper

For HD, 45 ACP is the way to go. Gun is up to you.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

My 2 cents. Before you settle on the Glock, find a Sig DAK model 229 or 226 and shoot that.
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

Great replies, but don' laugh. I'm a Glock guy and carry a Springfield XDS 45.

But, keep a s & w Govenor in the house loaded with 45 colt and 410 defensive rounds.

45 AND 410? how did you plan that out?
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

I have a Glock Model 22 (full size .40 cal) and I put on a Pachmyr slip on grip which makes it a heck of a lot more comfortable to shoot. When I first saw that grip, I wondered how that stupid little rubber band would make any difference...but wow, what a difference it makes!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake4323 View Post
    Hi, I am a Infantry Marine War Veteran, first of all. Just putting that out there to show that I am not new to firearms. Lately I have been having a difficult time deciding on a firearm. This will be the first firearm I own, and it's main purpose will be home defense. Although, I would also like to have it for possible open carry in a bug out situation. I went to the range the other day and compared a Glock 23 with a Sig Sauer P229 (in .40), the Glock felt horrible to me, it didn't fit my hand, and the recoil was way to much (and I've shot M1911's with mil spec recoil rods), however, the Sig on the other hand was smooth, and it fit my hand well. I was wondering if putting a rubber grip sleeve on the Glock would fix the grip problem, and maybe a tungsten guide rod to lower the recoil. Or if I should just go full size and try the Glock 22 and Sig Sauer P226 (in .40). I've read that a compact pistol is not ideal for home defense. So pretty much I'm just wondering if putting a sleeve (Like a Hogue Handall) on a Glock 23 helps, or should I just go full size. I am somewhat partial to Glock because I plan on joining the Chicago PD in a couple of years, and it's DAO with them, otherwise I would pick the Sig hands down.
    Sounds like you've answered your own question. If the Sig fits better (you've shot it I presume?) then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by badge70 View Post
    12 or 20 gauge shotgun is good for home defense
    +1
    My A5 light twelve is ready to go with 00 buck.
    Almost any caliber with penetrate walls, but I have no neighbors close enough to matter.

Thanks for your service.
    For home defense, Shotgun, pump, that holds at least 8.
    Hide a handgun in various rooms so you can fight your way back to the shotgun. Then, AR/AK style standing by in case a shiiteload of em head your way.
    Ammo: you have kids or others sleeping in your house? Use number 6 bird shot. It is devastating up close and personal and will not hurt others in the house. Just you in the house? go crazy. :)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links