Need help deciding on a home defense firearm

This is a discussion on Need help deciding on a home defense firearm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi, I am a Infantry Marine War Veteran, first of all. Just putting that out there to show that I am not new to firearms. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need help deciding on a home defense firearm

Need help deciding on a home defense firearm

Hi, I am a Infantry Marine War Veteran, first of all. Just putting that out there to show that I am not new to firearms. Lately I have been having a difficult time deciding on a firearm. This will be the first firearm I own, and it's main purpose will be home defense. Although, I would also like to have it for possible open carry in a bug out situation. I went to the range the other day and compared a Glock 23 with a Sig Sauer P229 (in .40), the Glock felt horrible to me, it didn't fit my hand, and the recoil was way to much (and I've shot M1911's with mil spec recoil rods), however, the Sig on the other hand was smooth, and it fit my hand well. I was wondering if putting a rubber grip sleeve on the Glock would fix the grip problem, and maybe a tungsten guide rod to lower the recoil. Or if I should just go full size and try the Glock 22 and Sig Sauer P226 (in .40). I've read that a compact pistol is not ideal for home defense. So pretty much I'm just wondering if putting a sleeve (Like a Hogue Handall) on a Glock 23 helps, or should I just go full size. I am somewhat partial to Glock because I plan on joining the Chicago PD in a couple of years, and it's DAO with them, otherwise I would pick the Sig hands down.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    H&K HK 45??? a bit large for conceal carry but side arm

How about a Ruger SP101. Great grip size. Welcome home bro!

I've shot the USP, but ruled it out because I did not like the mag release, rather disappointed by that because the rest of the gun was superb. But I believe that the HK45 has the same mag release

Although I am fond of revolvers, I'm trying to stay semi auto, I didn't get a lot of training with them in the Corps and am trying to get used to them for LE purposes

Distinguished Member
    If you didn't like the Glock grip, try the M&P. They make a .45, if you want to go with that round, and it is a sweet shooter. I had a full size M&P45 until I decided to go smaller and so I would have gone M&P45c but I wound up with a series of trades which got me the M&P40c, which is also good. But for home defense, the full size M&P45 would be quite good and you can choose from 3 backstraps which can make it fit your hand just right.
    Grinder likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Ruger SR9 has a pretty comfortable grip and i got huuuuge hands. Another one i like is my Walther P99. Really feels good in the hand. I got a buddy who took a leather wallet making kit and made a sleeve for his Sig to make it more comfortable. You could try that.

FWIW, I think both of those firearms are excellent choices. I'm a Glock guy and can fire my 27 Gen4 all day with a big smile on my face, but plenty of people say it has too much recoil / not enough grip / whatever. Try the 22, but if the Sig works for you I can't suggest a better choice. In my opinion, putting grips on a gun that fundamentally doesn't work for you won't serve you well in the long term.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake4323 View Post
    I've shot the USP, but ruled it out because I did not like the mag release, rather disappointed by that because the rest of the gun was superb. But I believe that the HK45 has the same mag release
    I believe you are correct on the release. The HK is much nicer than the USP. I don't own one yet but my next purchase is a SIG.

VIP Member
    If we're talking strictly a HD gun. My recommendation would be a 12 gauge shotgun. For a handgun, if they are on the CA approved list, look at the CZ75 P-01.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I just bought a stevens 320 pump security. Buckshot wont penetrate the walls if youre worrying about kids. Or so im told...not really an expert. It was only $199 at wally world if you end up leaning that way.

Kids are not a worry, It's just a small one bedroom with me and my old lady. A shotgun would be a bit too much, she's not fond of guns and I just got her comfortable with handguns by taking her to the range and showing her how to shoot on a .22, a shotgun would definitely be pushing my luck. Plus, I am in CA, so I have a laundry list of restrictions

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    I just bought a stevens 320 pump security. Buckshot wont penetrate the walls if youre worrying about kids. Or so im told...not really an expert. It was only $199 at wally world if you end up leaning that way.
    Here in the Portland, Oregon area there is a store called BiMart (basically found in WA, OR, and ID) and they have them on sale this week for $159.97.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake4323 View Post
    Plus, I am in CA, so I have a laundry list of restrictions
    M&P45 with mag safety and with/without safety is on the list
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Here in the Portland, Oregon area there is a store called BiMart (basically found in WA, OR, and ID) and they have them on sale this week for $159.97.
    Considering that with just the bead sight, the MSRP is $235, thats a huuuge deal!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links