Steel and Brass mixture in AR

This is a discussion on Steel and Brass mixture in AR within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While at Walmart yesterday I saw that they actually had .223 ammo, including about 10 boxes of $4.97 Tula. So I bought all the Tula ...

Thread: Steel and Brass mixture in AR

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar

Steel and Brass mixture in AR

While at Walmart yesterday I saw that they actually had .223 ammo, including about 10 boxes of $4.97 Tula. So I bought all the Tula and a few boxes of Federal. Before I could check out though I had two helpful bystanders ask me what I was shooting the Tula out of, so I replied my AR, and then they proceeded to tell me how it would damage my extractor and how the lacquer coating would melt in the chamber exc exc. So naturally I kindly and quickly informed about the various truths and myths surround steel cased ammo.

So, today before shooting I thought I would make it as hard as I could on my AR with the limited amount of ammo I had on hand. First I took out my BCG and completely wiped it dry, leaving just a dried coating of gunzilla on it, and then while firing I alternated mags of steel and brass. Shooting was done out in the Arizona desert, dust was minimal to moderate. No problems with 400 rounds. I know this topic has been beat to death, but I thought I'd beat it some more (just the topic). Thanks for reading, shoot safe.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

2. Remove Ads

It is what it is I reckon. No steel cased ammo is getting run through my AR even though I keep plenty of spare parts on hand. Do what you want. Obviously, you don't need any opinions from here. Keep shooting. Come back when you have issues. Consider it beaten and ready for pie topping.

Links