Defensive Carry banner

10/22 td scope. I never use scopes so I need some experienced guiding

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  hardluk1 
#1 ·
Like it says. I never used a scope, and always took mine off in the military and feel I am actually better with iron sights. But I think it might be fun to throw a scope on and try it out. I got no idea what is good or bad with a scope or really anything scope related. I know I have the rails for it so wanted to give it a go. Would like to spend no more than $100 on this as I paid like low $300 for the 10/22 but we'll see were the suggestions take me I suppose.

#3 ·
Optics Planet, a forum sponsor, has a decent guide: How to Choose a Rifle Scope.

And their selection of scopes is pretty good, as well: Scopes @ Optics Planet.

Knowing nothing more than "10/22" is what you'll be shooting, depending on your vision and preference I'd say that anything greater power than 9x isn't likely to benefit you much. Check 1-4x, 2-7x, 3-9x and 3-12x strength variable scopes. As with any optics, clarity and light gathering are important factors. If looking for a ~$100-ish scope and variable power, I'd suggest a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x or a Burris 2-7x Fullfield II. If shooting at a fixed distance only, a single-power scope might be just fine.

#4 ·
Tasco or Bushnell 3X9 will work fine on a .22. Unless you plan on doing some precision shooting with it. General plinking, or an occasional squirrel/rabbit/garden pest they'll do what you need.

#5 ·
A scope for a .22, especially if your shooting under 100 yards, get one with an "Adjustable Objective" lens. Trust me, it'll save your eyes. Don't get a scope with a ridiculous high power, especially one for under $100. Most inexpensive scopes with a power above 12x gets cloudy.

My favorite scope for my .22 is a cheap Leapers UTG 1in 3-12x40 Full Size AO Mil-dot Riflescope SCP-U312AORGW for $68, freeship.
Leapers UTG 1in 3-12x40 Full Size AO Mil-dot Riflescope FREE S&H SCP-U312AORGW. Leapers UTG Rifle Scopes, Leapers Rifle Scopes.

It has an Adjustable Objective lens, weaver scope rings, illuminated mil-dot reticle, and pop-up lens caps. The rings and caps alone save you $30 right there.

Whatever you get, an Adjustable Objective lens is a MUST.

#6 ·
A tasco, bushnell or similar should be fine for plinking. You may need to get a different scope base depending on what you have now. I know ruger used to ship them with small (3/8"?) bases at one time.

#9 ·
I put a BSA Sweet 22 -- 3-9x40 on my 10/22. I can get 1/2" groupings at 100 yards. the scope was $50 at academy's and might be cheaper online.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.