10/22 td scope. I never use scopes so I need some experienced guiding

This is a discussion on 10/22 td scope. I never use scopes so I need some experienced guiding within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Like it says. I never used a scope, and always took mine off in the military and feel I am actually better with iron sights. ...

Thread: 10/22 td scope. I never use scopes so I need some experienced guiding

10/22 td scope. I never use scopes so I need some experienced guiding

Like it says. I never used a scope, and always took mine off in the military and feel I am actually better with iron sights. But I think it might be fun to throw a scope on and try it out. I got no idea what is good or bad with a scope or really anything scope related. I know I have the rails for it so wanted to give it a go. Would like to spend no more than $100 on this as I paid like low $300 for the 10/22 but we'll see were the suggestions take me I suppose.

2. Remove Ads

You can get a decent scope for under $50,one thing about the 22 it has almost no recoil ,I think I have a tasco 3x9 variable scope on mine,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Optics Planet, a forum sponsor, has a decent guide: How to Choose a Rifle Scope.

And their selection of scopes is pretty good, as well: Scopes @ Optics Planet.

Knowing nothing more than "10/22" is what you'll be shooting, depending on your vision and preference I'd say that anything greater power than 9x isn't likely to benefit you much. Check 1-4x, 2-7x, 3-9x and 3-12x strength variable scopes. As with any optics, clarity and light gathering are important factors. If looking for a ~$100-ish scope and variable power, I'd suggest a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x or a Burris 2-7x Fullfield II. If shooting at a fixed distance only, a single-power scope might be just fine.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Tasco or Bushnell 3X9 will work fine on a .22. Unless you plan on doing some precision shooting with it. General plinking, or an occasional squirrel/rabbit/garden pest they'll do what you need.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

A scope for a .22, especially if your shooting under 100 yards, get one with an "Adjustable Objective" lens. Trust me, it'll save your eyes. Don't get a scope with a ridiculous high power, especially one for under $100. Most inexpensive scopes with a power above 12x gets cloudy.

My favorite scope for my .22 is a cheap Leapers UTG 1in 3-12x40 Full Size AO Mil-dot Riflescope SCP-U312AORGW for $68, freeship.
    Leapers UTG 1in 3-12x40 Full Size AO Mil-dot Riflescope FREE S&H SCP-U312AORGW. Leapers UTG Rifle Scopes, Leapers Rifle Scopes.

It has an Adjustable Objective lens, weaver scope rings, illuminated mil-dot reticle, and pop-up lens caps. The rings and caps alone save you $30 right there.

Whatever you get, an Adjustable Objective lens is a MUST.

Lead Moderator
    A tasco, bushnell or similar should be fine for plinking. You may need to get a different scope base depending on what you have now. I know ruger used to ship them with small (3/8"?) bases at one time.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have a Simmons 3x9 on my Remington 597 and I love it. Should be able to find one under $50 easily.
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

Thanks everyone I plan to look into every option mentioned.

I put a BSA Sweet 22 -- 3-9x40 on my 10/22. I can get 1/2" groupings at 100 yards. the scope was $50 at academy's and might be cheaper online.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    If you want a better option for open sights check out - Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories

Links