My first shotgun

My first shotgun

This is a discussion on My first shotgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not particularly for anything, but for everything is what I would like. No need for long barrel as I don't intend to shoot clay. I ...

Thread: My first shotgun

My first shotgun

Not particularly for anything, but for everything is what I would like. No need for long barrel as I don't intend to shoot clay. I enjoy the tool/hunting aspect. I was thinking Rem 870 express slug, Dicks has one for $419 and it comes with a smooth and rifled barrel so I'm thinking of that one.

I do not do the hunting thing, but would assume you would want a long barrel for that as well? I have a Mossberg 590, but it is for HD. I have heard just as good things about the 870 as any, but the hunters here could probably be more helpful.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

106 views and 1 reply. well thank you for your input and confirming that you have heard good things.

A lot of your views on this subject are from people like me that would also like to know what others think. That being said, I almost sprung for a 870 today myself. Changed my mind and am saving the money for a Rem Model 700 in 30-06 instead. I will probably also end up with the 870 by the end of the year.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

The 870 is definitely a good choice. The Mossberg 500 is also a solid choice.

I personally bought the mossberg 500 but that's mainly because its what was on the shelf at my local store. Was under $400. Mine is for home defense as it has the shorter barrel. Had it out over labor day weekend. First 12 gauge I've ever owned. Happy with my choice.

The fact that all of our local LEO's carry the 870's in thru vehicles should say something too.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I grew up hunting and shooting skeet with Remington. The problem I see with my advice is that I always shot the WingMaster series which is hand tooled and the Express series isn't. I would check you local Armslist or the like for an older Remington 870 WingMaster. I know for a FACT that you CAN NOT go wrong with this series. Just my .02.

I don't think you could go wrong with either a Remington or a Mossberg. The difference, between the two, I've seen most often mentioned is the location of the safety. The first gun I ever bought was a Remington 870 so the button by the trigger seems like the natural location for the safety. Others with a different life experience may feel differently. You have the opportunity to check them both out and see what makes most sense to you. Either way, good luck!

it all sounds good, thanks for the info everyone you have made it easier for me to decide.

The 870 is a great gun. I have 2 of them. My hunting one has been running strong for close to 20 years with no issues. I just clean it every couple of years and it keeps on ticking. I bought a used one for my wife as an HD gun. I picked it up for $200. Again, zero issues and it was in like new condition. You won't go wrong with an 870. Also, lots of aftermarket stuff for them.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    You may want to look at yard or estate sales for a good used Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Sometimes you may be able to find a Remington 870 Wingmaster for less than a new 870 Express. A few years ago I got an 870 Wingmaster with a 20 inch rifle sight barrel for $375. I knew the deceased owner and his history so paying $50-$100 more for it was still a good deal. It was in imaculate shape to be 20+ years old.

Sponsored Links